Plan approved for berthing large cruise ships in Auckland

The Auckland City Council today approved plans for the berthing of mega cruise ships in Auckland. They have approved a dolphin design and have opted for an even larger (?) one than planned in order to future proof Queens Wharf.

The dolphin, available for the 2019/20 cruise season, will allow more large 350 metre cruise ships to visit Auckland providing a boost to the $220 million and 4,000 local jobs the cruise industry already adds to the region’s economy.

Plan approved for berthing large cruise ships

http://ourauckland.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/articles/news/2017/11/plan-approved-for-berthing-large-cruise-ships/

Sydney needs to learn a lesson, and soon too.

I agree but it's a lot harder to do in Sydney. In Auckland all of the commercial wharves are on the right side of the harbour bridge so only had to be modified for cruise ships. In Sydney many of the old commercial wharves were west of the harbour bridge, ie on the wrong side, and there isn't that much suitable space to the east. :(

I agree but it's a lot harder to do in Sydney. In Auckland all of the commercial wharves are on the right side of the harbour bridge so only had to be modified for cruise ships. In Sydney many of the old commercial wharves were west of the harbour bridge, ie on the wrong side, and there isn't that much suitable space to the east. :(

Either

Rip the bridge down

Raise it a few metres

Or drain some water out of the harbour

Those are my suggestions anyway.

So 2 smaller dolphins with an intermediate one and the last one 80-85m off Queens wharf. All connected by a walkway.

Must mean docking bow in rather that attempting a 'reverse park' manoeuvre.

This make more sense than the compromise in the previous press release.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Just as well as, according to my RCCL contact here in NZ, if Auckland didn't do something, it will be dropped as a port stop for Ovation of the Seas. Apparently this upcoming season is the last season that will be prepared to stop there and tender their guests back and forward.

Just as well as, according to my RCCL contact here in NZ, if Auckland didn't do something, it will be dropped as a port stop for Ovation of the Seas. Apparently this upcoming season is the last season that will be prepared to stop there and tender their guests back and forward.
I can imagine that Royal have plenty of other ports to call at without having to tender.

Bean the cynic here. The Dolphin is approved the same day that agreement is reached on Americas Cup facilities. If there was no Americas Cup defence in the offing I don't think the Auckland City Council would have approved the new dolphin. My next question is why does it take two years to make it happen

Bean the cynic here. The Dolphin is approved the same day that agreement is reached on Americas Cup facilities. If there was no Americas Cup defence in the offing I don't think the Auckland City Council would have approved the new dolphin. My next question is why does it take two years to make it happen

Sometimes it takes another straw to break the camels back (so to speak). I imagine with the Yachting Cup being defended in NZ that was enough to tip the scales in favour of expansion and tourism.

Several of this season's NZ cruises don't stop at Auckland. Was this the case last year?

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=8234

Several of this season's NZ cruises don't stop at Auckland. Was this the case last year?

https://www.cruisecritic.com.au/news/news.cfm?ID=8234

I am not aware of any. This year QM2 will bypass Auckland but that is a logistical measure as they only wharf available was a car delivery wharf and Cunard did not want their passengers landing amongst a sea of vehicles.

As per the cc article...

"The plan is subject to further design work and resource consent."

for that , read that it will take the bureaucrats at least 2 years of hard planning , meetings talking etc etc before anything is actually approved. After all ,,they have to be seen to be doing something to justify their salaries .:rolleyes::rolleyes: