Critique My NYC Visit

3dogmom

My husband and I will be on the NCL Jade transatlantic that has 2 options for disembarking; NYC or Miami. This will be my first time disembarking from a cruise in NYC. We're scheduled to dock at 8 AM. Here is my itinerary that I'd love you east coasters to critique so I maximize my very limited NYC time.

Friday, Oct. 12th 2018

Disembark and in Uber by 9:00 - 9:30

Drop bags at Airbnb in Financial District

Walk to Battery Park to catch Statue of Liberty ferry

Tour Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island

Walk back to Airbnb 3:30-4:00?

Uber to Juliana's pizza in Brooklyn

Walk over Brooklyn Bridge, back to Manhattan

Uber or walk back to Airbnb

Walk to The Dead Rabbit for cocktails and late bites

Flight not booked, hoping to catch a 3'ish back home to Tampa. Thanks everyone for your input!!

My husband and I will be on the NCL Jade transatlantic that has 2 options for disembarking; NYC or Miami. This will be my first time disembarking from a cruise in NYC. We're scheduled to dock at 8 AM. Here is my itinerary that I'd love you east coasters to critique so I maximize my very limited NYC time.

Friday, Oct. 12th 2018

Flight not booked, hoping to catch a 3'ish back home to Tampa. Thanks everyone for your input!!

What is the address of your airbnb in the "Financial District"?

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island usually take longer than you think they will.

It will be the height of rush hour going to Juliana's Pizza via Uber and dark or almost dark for your return walk over the Brooklyn Bridge. You might was to consider the ferry to get to Brooklynduring rush hour - https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

What are your plans for the following day before you fly home? Which airport will you be leaving from?

What is the address of your airbnb in the "Financial District"?

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island usually take longer than you think they will.

It will be the height of rush hour going to Juliana's Pizza via Uber and dark or almost dark for your return walk over the Brooklyn Bridge.

What are your plans for the following day before you fly home? Which airport will you be leaving from?

Airbnb is on the corner of Pearl & Hanover St. Depending on how long we tour the islands, Brooklyn may have to wait until another trip, or just do the walk Saturday morning before we leave for the airport. We'll fly from LGA, cheap non-stops to TPA. There's a 4:00 PM flight that will work. What time should we have the car service (thinking Dial7 or Carmel) pick us up?

If there's something we could do instead of Brooklyn on Friday early evening, I welcome your thoughts!

Airbnb is on the corner of Pearl & Hanover St. Depending on how long we tour the islands, Brooklyn may have to wait until another trip, or just do the walk Saturday morning before we leave for the airport. We'll fly from LGA, cheap non-stops to TPA. There's a 4:00 PM flight that will work. What time should we have the car service (thinking Dial7 or Carmel) pick us up?

If there's something we could do instead of Brooklyn on Friday early evening, I welcome your thoughts!

The Airbnb is close to Pier 11. You could take the ferry over to Brooklyn (Dumbo) (7 minutes) and walk back.

The 911 Memorial area, museum, and the Freedom Tower are open in the evening. That would be an option to replace Brooklyn. The Staten Island Ferry is free.

I'm thinking on a Sat a 1:30 pickup for a 4 pm flight, but the New Yorkers will know best.

My only concern would be your disembarking time. The first US port of a transatlantic has a lot of US Immigration activity, for passengers, and crew. I'd be worried about being delayed. Also, did you already get your tickers for the statue and Ellis Island?

Defer to others who've sail TA & disembark at Red Hook about realistic time to clear formalities and able to leave for downtown Manhattan. Late morning, past the AM rush hour of 10 o'clock, once you jump into your Uber, it should be an easy 20 minutes ride via the (tolled) tunnel to your AirBnB (which I won't get into a "big" lecture about as far as its legality in NYC.) It is also doable taking the new NYC East River Water Ferry Service and put you within walking distance from the Wall Street pier, if you can manage your luggage.

Ferry for the SOL is a 15 minutes walk, allow time for the queues and security screening. What is your plan for lunch ?? Not allocating 3 to 4 hours to see Lady Liberty & Ellis Island would really be rushing it, IMO.

As for all that Uber, walking & then back - just to do stone-oven pizza across in Brooklyn, given your timeline ... personally, I would do something else. But, if walking across the BB is a must, as soon as done with SOL visit, haul the first Uber there (unless you need to walk or go back to the AirBnB first for whatever) & go straight to Brooklyn, eat & then walk back toward Manhattan ... enjoy the afternoon early/evening skyline ... walk from/to the Manhattan side landing & your AirBnB is about 25 or 30 minutes.

Almost a year from now, the entire South Street Seaport & Fulton Street waterfront should almost come back to full life by then ... there should be a lot more to do, see and choices to eat, drink and get that NY experience ... and, not just walking around & looking for an Uber.

Edited by mking8288

A couple of observations on prior posted comments:

138 east...I would not depart lower Manhattan as late as 1:30 for a 4 pm flight, I would recommend 1 pm...but I fully admit to being extremely conservative about allowing enough time to get to the airport, particularly LGA with the major construction project that's going on.

Mking...do you have any information about the ship docking at Red Hook? It's NCL, so wouldn't it dock at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal ? Probably wouldn't make a huge amount of difference time-wise for the subsequent Uber ride, but at least there's no tunnel and its toll. that would also eliminate the option for taking a ferry from cruise terminal to lodging.

A couple of observations on prior posted comments:

138 east...I would not depart lower Manhattan as late as 1:30 for a 4 pm flight, I would recommend 1 pm...but I fully admit to being extremely conservative about allowing enough time to get to the airport, particularly LGA with the major construction project that's going on.

Mking...do you have any information about the ship docking at Red Hook? It's NCL, so wouldn't it dock at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal ? Probably wouldn't make a huge amount of difference time-wise for the subsequent Uber ride, but at least there's no tunnel and its toll. that would also eliminate the option for taking a ferry from cruise terminal to lodging.

1 pm to LGA sounds reasonable. That's why I asked for other opinions.

I agree that NCL should dock at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, particularly since it is a port stop, not the end of the cruise. Getting to and from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal in Red Hook is not part of this discussion.

The ferry suggestion to Dumbo for pizza in Brooklyn is an alternative to trying to Uber there at rush hour. The ferry schedule says a 7 minute ride. Coming back by ferry was not suggested - it would be a longer trip since it goes to other Brooklyn stops before returning to Pier 11. If the Brooklyn Bridge is a point of interest, the ferry trip ($2.75/pp) would give a nice view of the bridge from the water instead of a more expensive slow vehicle trip in rush hour traffic.

Friday, Oct. 12th 2018

I lived most of my life in NYC .In my opinion everyone should visit Ellis Island and the

Statue of Liberty at least once .

You can also check out the South Street Seaport or take the Staten Island Ferry (free in both directions) about 20 minutes each way.

Enjoy,whatever you do.

My bad, mind wondered off about the TA and docking at Brooklyn ... the Jade should be in Manhattan, so a taxi would probably be on par with those ride-sharing services. Scratch the comments about Red Hook & related.

We came off the Breakaway a week ago and even with priority disembarkation called at 8:30 AM (took 45 minutes to get outside with porter services) with just 8 CBP lanes open for all. Waiting for car service allowed to get into terminal bus & dropoff/pickup area was a problem due to pier traffic jams.

via Nexus 5X Oreo 8.0 w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

1 pm to LGA sounds reasonable. That's why I asked for other opinions. Coming back by ferry was not suggested - it would be a longer trip since it goes to other Brooklyn stops before returning to Pier 11.

Carol, I think you are confusing the Ferry routes. The South Brooklyn (pink) route does do Pier 11 then Brooklyn Bridge and off to other South Brooklyn Stops and you can't take that back to Pier 11, you have to exit at Bay Ridge, pay another fare.

The East River (Blue) route stops Brooklyn Bridge leaving Pier 11 and on return from 34th Street the last stop before Pier 11 is Brooklyn Bridge that is the route to use to/from Brooklyn Bridge and Pier 11 (except in the summer when they have the Governor Island Shuttle route running)..

East River route Brooklyn Bridge then north Brooklyn stops and the southern Long Island City stop before 34th Street.

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/