Just a warning about prescription meds

celebrity

Sailed on Oct 13 from Southampton to Northern Europe.

On our return flight from Heathrow, there were signs everywhere to expect enhanced security screening for anyone flying back to the US.

We had 4 checkpoints and at one point we were told to remove all prescription drugs for inspection. I know many cruisers like to put their meds in daily pill containers for convenience. In my case, I only had one RX in it’s original container but for those that had no identifier, it was quite a hassle.

I highly recommend you bring the original containers and carry your empty

daily container to avoid delays and extra scrutiny.

Any more details, please? Were the four security checks in Heathrow? What authority asked to see prescription medicines? Prescription medicines don't present a security threat, although customs could legitimately search for illegal drugs. Whenever the TSA takes an interest in prescription medicine, I figure the agents are looking to pocket a few pills for personal use or resale.

Apparently you and your medicines made it home. I'd put up with the hassles before I'd travel with huge bottles. I would keep any narcotics in the original container and I'd make sure I had the paperwork for any other prescription medications.

"Apparently you and your medicines made it home. I'd put up with the hassles before I'd travel with huge bottles. I would keep any narcotics in the original container and I'd make sure I had the paperwork for any other prescription medications."

I agree except we are going to be on a tight schedule to make our flight, I'm not sure I'll have the time to spend on avoidable hassles. I'm hoping if this becomes a thing I can get the mail order service to provide us with smaller, labeled bottles to take only what we need. Or if that fails maybe I can talk our local pharmacy to make us up some bottles with labels to use. Vitamins and supplements could be a problem though.

I have a medium size medical bag in which we carry all medications in their original bottles. Have been doing this for many years -- even before 9/11.

I also bring along the description of the drugs that you get with your medications.

The same way we do. No problem with the added inspection.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Very odd. We put them all in one pill container.. We have been travelling extensively internationally for the past five years. Cannot count how many times we have gone though airport/land/seaport security including multiple LHR security experiences. Plus, we only travel with carry on so it is all with us.

Never, not once have we been even questioned about these pills-prescription and otherwise (vitamin D). Africa, Asia, North America, Australasia. Not once. Never through Southhampton though. Just good fortune?

I always carry my Rx in original pharmacy marked botttles. I place them all in a large zip lock bag on top of e verything else in my carryon. After it was xraed y, a TSA person said they wanted to check my jewelry which showed on the xray. When she opened my carry on she saw the bag of pills and said it was lucky for me Ieft fthem in thodr bottles or she may have had to confisacate them. While I know someone will quote here what the TSA site says but so what. I don't want to be the one standing at security fighting with them about what the web site says while the clock ticks away to boarding time for my flight.

Sailed on Oct 13 from Southampton to Northern Europe.

On our return flight from Heathrow, there were signs everywhere to expect

enhanced security screening for anyone flying back to the US.

We had 4 checkpoints and at one point we were told to remove all prescription drugs for inspection.

It was quite a hassle.

I highly recommend you bring the original containers and carry your empty

daily container to avoid delays and extra scrutiny.

What are THEY looking for ?

(I am not a drug dealer.):halo:

Very odd. We put them all in one pill container.. We have been travelling extensively internationally for the past five years. Cannot count how many times we have gone though airport/land/seaport security including multiple LHR security experiences. Plus, we only travel with carry on so it is all with us.

Never, not once have we been even questioned about these pills-prescription and otherwise (vitamin D). Africa, Asia, North America, Australasia. Not once. Never through Southhampton though. Just good fortune?

When we fly to the USA from the UK, there's been extra security around those flights, and names run through a manifest even when you're standing waiting to check in. I once had to open my case at the check-in desk in Manchester, flying to Fort L. We were told it was a requirement from the USA, and they were checking every few cases... this wasn't even customs or immigration, but could have been in case of something dangerous going into the hold.

Edited by jocap
typo

The new enhanced security screening for anyone flying back to the US mostly concerns all electronics, esp. laptops. There is concern about possible explosive devices in small electronics.

I don't have all the specs because I only travel with my Kindle & a non-smart phone, but you can check Homeland or TSA websites.

37 cruises and travel all over the world and not once have our prescriptions been questioned or even looked at! And we have many and carry many vitamins in plastic bags with no markings, I do have pictures on my phone of the containers just in case but have never been asked about anything!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by goldenrod

Please explain how they know what you actually have in an “original” container?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have had several run in's with TSA agents over the last few years. I am retired and even with my credentials, they can get a tad "testy". I carry four bottles of medication (High blood pressure) and I carry a letter from my personal physician stating that these are prescribed medications from him and lists his office phone and address.

So, bottom line? They have no clue whatsoever what's actually IN the bottles, but they usually are satisfied, reading his letter. Hope this helps. I understand that they have a job to do, but sometimes they get a little goofy about it.

It not unusual for us to pass through US customs and immigration, land and air (TSA) multiple times each year over the past few years. We have never been questioned about medication.

DW has high blood pressure. She takes a few more as well. We have never been asked about prescription meds, we have had our carry-on hand searched and not a word has ever been said about meds. We bung them all into one bottle to save on room in our carry on. Same story in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australasia. Never, ever a problem or a query. Been through security in Tokyo Narita three years in a row with no issues or questions on our meds. Perhaps we have just been lucky.

We don't have the original prescriptions, nor do we have any physicians notes. Really, both are quite useless because they can be so very easily manufactured on any home computer with a low end printer. Knowing this, I cannot imagine why TSA would bother with them since this is the case. Besides, we are a couple of fossils with a few old age pills....we do not exactly fit the mold (though we re mouldy). And there are always the sniffer dogs! They seem to get a lot more excited over a small corkscrew, small nail file, or a tiny pair of manicure scisssors than they do over a few pills.

Edited by iancal

It not unusual for us to pass through US customs and immigration, land and air (TSA) multiple times each year over the past few years. We have never been questioned about medication.

DW has high blood pressure. She takes a few more as well. We have never been asked about prescription meds, we have had our carry-on hand searched and not a word has ever been said about meds. We bung them all into one bottle to save on room in our carry on. Same story in Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australasia. Never, ever a problem or a query. Been through security in Tokyo Narita three years in a row with no issues or questions on our meds. Perhaps we have just been lucky.

We don't have the original prescriptions, nor do we have any physicians notes. Really, both are quite useless because they can be so very easily manufactured on any home computer with a low end printer. Knowing this, I cannot imagine why TSA would bother with them since this is the case. Besides, we are a couple of fossils with a few old age pills....we do not exactly fit the mold (though we re mouldy). And there are always the sniffer dogs! They seem to get a lot more excited over a small corkscrew, small nail file, or a tiny pair of manicure scisssors than they do over a few pills.

Indeed. It always comes down to the particular "agent". We recently came back from England, Ireland and Scotland and at Heathrow - they asked to see our prescriptions. No big deal as they are kept in our carry on. They seemed to be more concerned about my camera equipment than the 'scripts anyway.

All in all - I honestly believe that we have had more "trouble" in the states than internationally. Seems as though the TSA at the larger airports are "unhappy" with their jobs.....(if you know what I mean) :D