Lobster

dundeene

I have taken 8 Oceania cruises, but because of a very specific window of time available for both myself and DH we are cruising HAL for the 1st time (we leave the 25th).

I had to laugh at a long thread about lobster on the HAL boards. It is only available on Gala night except in the Pinnacle Grill which has a $35 per person fee plus an additional upcharge for ordering lobster:rolleyes: And most of the cruisers suggested that the lobster onboard was not very good.

I know my 16 year old daughter almost ate her weight in lobster during our NY to London crossing.

I enjoyed the lobster dishes in each of the specialty restaurants and the grilled tails in the Terrace Cafe. Each time we board we go straight to Waves for the turf and surf sandwich and parmesan fries!

We cruise Oceania again in 2018 and look forward to free specialty restaurants and lobster without limits:D

I have taken 8 Oceania cruises, but because of a very specific window of time available for both myself and DH we are cruising HAL for the 1st time (we leave the 25th).

Good luck

I would also skip their Chicken in the MDR on the daily menu

not even close to Oceania Jacques chicken option

Edited by LHT28

Personally just about given up on ordering the Oceania rubber lobster. Typically very over cooked, with the Polo Grill leading the way in that category. The Terrace begins with a totally cooked lobster, then upon ordering, throws in on the grill to cook more while it warms up!!! The ship restaurants have plenty of good food without chewing on overdone lobster. Are you also a conniseur of rubber chicken? Each to his own.

Personally just about given up on ordering the Oceania rubber lobster. Typically very over cooked, with the Polo Grill leading the way in that category. The Terrace begins with a totally cooked lobster, then upon ordering, throws in on the grill to cook more while it warms up!!! The ship restaurants have plenty of good food without chewing on overdone lobster. Are you also a conniseur of rubber chicken? Each to his own.

pinotlover,

The Terrace issue is easily fixed. I just ask them to start a fresh tail (or 2) for me and let them know I am happy to wait for them.

I have had many perfectly steamed/tender whole lobsters served in Polo. I think part of my positive experience is the fact that we are very early diners. Lobster continues to cook under the warming lights and lids if used in the ktchen. When we arrive early and are often the first to order, our plates never sit long in the kitchen or serving stations in the restaurants. It may vary from cruise to cruise or ship to ship. Our experience on Marina and Riviera differs from yours.

What’s wrong with the lobster Thermidore in Jacques?

Paul;

That is actually one of the Lobster dishes, Oceania does well and that I enjoy. Fwiw, my wife believes the sauce is to rich , but that’s a separate issue.

A problem is of course, the R ships don’t have Jacques. My past experiences with lobster on the Nautica , in general, and in the Polo Grill in particular, has been poor. The lobster risotto in Toscana can be very good or very tough and chewy with no consistency, just luck of the night.

Paul;

That is actually one of the Lobster dishes, Oceania does well and that I enjoy. Fwiw, my wife believes the sauce is to rich , but that’s a separate issue.

A problem is of course, the R ships don’t have Jacques. My past experiences with lobster on the Nautica , in general, and in the Polo Grill in particular, has been poor. The lobster risotto in Toscana can be very good or very tough and chewy with no consistency, just luck of the night.

There is so much about oceania that you dislike I am astonished you continue to cruise on oceania.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bitbob;

There is also a lot about Oceania that I love. Problem is, on these boards, if anyone points out any shortcomings, some posters go ballistic. I often cheer leader in many areas, while pointing out shortcomings in others, such as refusing to address the issue of cruisers signing up for tours for which they are not physically capable. You however seem to applaud them for it! My answer is to arrange all private tours, thus eliminating the overpriced problematic tours offered by O, thus still immensely enjoying my cruise. O’s Restaurants have a wide range of foods I throughly enjoy (and gain to much weight from, lol) I’m sorry it bothers you the lobster has often fallen short in that category.

Paul;

We are from the Canadian Maritimes and if we know anything, it’s how lobster should taste. Generally it is excellent in Polo. When served in MDR, it is often those tough as leather critters from Florida. Awful stuff!

On our last cruise we were in one of the specialties and it was empty. I enquired why, and was told it was lobster night in the MDR. I was a little upset we had missed it. Then I realized it was listed on the menu as Florida lobster. No thanks!

We had an Asian cruise on Nautica and for the most part the food was barely tolerable. Steaks were tough. Really tough. Fish was not good. Rest of the food was just not up to par. On the last night we were in Polo and DH ordered steak. I gave him a hard time, saying something to the effect of “But you know it won’t be good!” The joke was on me as it was a fabulous steak. Only one in 25 days!

We also had a cruise on Insignia that had poor to middlin’ food. After we convinced friends to join us, partly for the great food.

Some cruises are just like that. Perhaps a new chef and staff, perhaps where they source supplies.

Mo

I agree with Potterhill. We have always had great lobster in Polo. We only have it steamed though as when you put it under the heater it gets tough. Also I wait for fresh ones in The Terrace.

I have not tried the lobster in Jacques but hear it is great.

We have tried lobster on Regent and it isn't nearly as good as on Oceania, so perhaps the chef is a contributing factor.

Anyway, everyone has a different idea on how things should taste.

No need to fight over opinions.

pinotlover,

The Terrace issue is easily fixed. I just ask them to start a fresh tail (or 2) for me and let them know I am happy to wait for them.

I have had many perfectly steamed/tender whole lobsters served in Polo. I think part of my positive experience is the fact that we are very early diners. Lobster continues to cook under the warming lights and lids if used in the ktchen. When we arrive early and are often the first to order, our plates never sit long in the kitchen or serving stations in the restaurants. It may vary from cruise to cruise or ship to ship. Our experience on Marina and Riviera differs from yours.

Thanks; I will try a fresh tail order at the Terrace; as to Polo you can’t always get an early table but I’m willing to give their Lobster a try unless I’m in a pork chop mood.

The Lobster Thermidore at Jacques was pleasant, but the Lobster Diavolo at Toscana, which I requested spicy, was darn near perfect. I’m hoping for a repeat.

I have a December cruise on Riviera followed by a February cruise on HAL; I expect to eat on the low down for the latter, but am hoping I can cadge some Indonesian food from a chef a few times.

Waves Grill has a "Surf and Turf" on its menu. Personally I don't like this combination but I love lobster -- so I order the "surf" part, with no bun but with salad and fries. The waiters have no problem with this order. And on our cruise last week it was just perfect.

cruise on HAL; I expect to eat on the low down for the latter, but am hoping I can cadge some Indonesian food from a chef a few times.

no problem on HAL go to the buffet they have a section with Food of the World

Skip the desserts they have no flavour :(

Thanks; I will try a fresh tail order at the Terrace; as to Polo you can’t always get an early table but I’m willing to give their Lobster a try unless I’m in a pork chop mood.

The Lobster Thermidore at Jacques was pleasant, but the Lobster Diavolo at Toscana, which I requested spicy, was darn near perfect. I’m hoping for a repeat.

I have a December cruise on Riviera followed by a February cruise on HAL; I expect to eat on the low down for the latter, but am hoping I can cadge some Indonesian food from a chef a few times.

It's been my experience if you want a pork chop wait until you eat in Jacques, and get it there. I think it's a better chop than the Polo one.

Isn't the lobster cooked in the Terrace the Florida lobsters?

I agree with Potterhill. We have always had great lobster in Polo. We only have it steamed though as when you put it under the heater it gets tough. Also I wait for fresh ones in The Terrace.

I have not tried the lobster in Jacques but hear it is great.

We have tried lobster on Regent and it isn't nearly as good as on Oceania, so perhaps the chef is a contributing factor.

Anyway, everyone has a different idea on how things should taste.

No need to fight over opinions.

Aragosta fra' diavola in Toscana (come cucinato da tua nonna)

Bitbob;

There is also a lot about Oceania that I love. Problem is, on these boards, if anyone points out any shortcomings, some posters go ballistic. I often cheer leader in many areas, while pointing out shortcomings in others, such as refusing to address the issue of cruisers signing up for tours for which they are not physically capable. You however seem to applaud them for it! My answer is to arrange all private tours, thus eliminating the overpriced problematic tours offered by O, thus still immensely enjoying my cruise. O’s Restaurants have a wide range of foods I throughly enjoy (and gain to much weight from, lol) I’m sorry it bothers you the lobster has often fallen short in that category.

Hallelujah to your post. I have not posted for a while because I dared to criticise something.

Flamed, accused, dismissed.

As you said, much is praiseworthy and I cruise with O by choice, but somethings are not perfect and nobody expects perfection. They are observations based on experience and fact.

It's been my experience if you want a pork chop wait until you eat in Jacques, and get it there. I think it's a better chop than the Polo one.

Agree - it is far superior in Jacques, I no longer order it in Polo but love it at Jacques.

Agree - it is far superior in Jacques, I no longer order it in Polo but love it at Jacques.

And I had the opposite last time. I did not try the pork chop in Polo in April only Jacques (which I absolutely do far prefer over Polo but in fairness we are not huge steakhouse type restaurant fans) and while the pork was properly cooked it was smallish and on the underside was a large single piece of fat. Not marbling but a single blob of fat, maybe 30-40% of the chop. Should not have been served. It is what drips over your chop on the rotisserie that makes your chop so tasty :)

As for topic, DW twice (short memory) ordered the steak and lobster in Polo. THAT lobster was a tiny bit of chewy crustacean atop a perfectly cooked beef tenderloin. Perhaps it was an overcooked langostino. After one bite left it aside. The waiter never asked.

I far prefer king crab to lobster and as it is so easily overcooked I generally do not order it anyway. Now if they had the crab....