Politics-free zone, please

BJzink

I hope you will agree with me that a cruise ship should be a politics-free zone. I was on the Zuiderdam last June, and a group of about 15 passengers took over the Crow's Nest each morning to talk rather loudly about their political views. This is rather a personal issue, and, I believe, should not be aired in this way in a very public area on a cruise ship. There are more private gathering places if necessary. Thank you.

I don't think you can control conversations that you personally may not appreciate. As long as they are not yelling, using profane language, or what most people would consider offensive language, they are free to talk about whatever they choose. If you find it disturbing, then perhaps you could move to another area that is politically free.

I hope you will agree with me that a cruise ship should be a politics-free zone. I was on the Zuiderdam last June, and a group of about 15 passengers took over the Crow's Nest each morning to talk rather loudly about their political views. This is rather a personal issue, and, I believe, should not be aired in this way in a very public area on a cruise ship. There are more private gathering places if necessary. Thank you.

I understand what you're saying. I just disembarked Koningsdam and it got to where I purposely avoided folks from one particular country because it seemed every time I talked to them, they just wanted to talk American politics, and in such a resentful manner. I'm usually ok with political discussions, but not when they're so closed minded....which is most of the time nowadays.

Unfortunately this happens on land and at sea.

Keith

I saw a list one 'hostesss' is putting out thtat bans some topics ffor her family to leave alone at the table. She says, NO mENTION O FpERSONAL RELATTIO ships, such as why no ring yet..,, ? when will you giv e us a grandchild,? NO mention of Clintons, do not say Trump, we will not discuss, Franken, Roy More or politics, in any form....... She i s millenial age and I wonder how well her plan will work. :) NO Russia, Russia, Russia. I think it brave of her to make a real eff ort to keep the peace.

Edited by sail7seas

I saw a list one 'hostesss' is putting out thtat bans some topics ffor her family to leave alone at the table. She says, NO mENTION O FpERSONAL RELATTIO ships, such as why no ring yet..,, ? when will you giv e3uw a granedchild,? NO mention of Clintons, do not say grump, we will not discuss, Franken, Roy More or politics, in any form....... She i s millenial age and I wonder how well her plan will work. :) NO Russia, Russia, Russia. I think it brave of or her to make a real eff ort to keep the peace.

I wonder what they WILL talk about. Sounds like a terribly boring afternoon of gossip and inanities.

I couldn't disagree with you more. I find that people who are uncomfortable about discussing politics do not know how to discuss the subject logically and unemotionally and, frequently, do not have the knowledge to do so. And, yes, that is one reason why political discussions can become too heated. On the other hand, there are many other subjects which carry the same characteristics. To suggest that one should curb their freedom of speech in a public place because others do not want to hear it or because the listener doesn't like the subject matter is, to me, repugnant.

Regardless of the subject I really don't care to hear any group discuss anything "rather loudly" in a public place on a cruise ship. Freedom of speech doesn't include freedom to be loud to the point that you disturb my freedom of quiet.

I wonder what they WILL talk about. Sounds like a terribly boring afternoon of gossip and inanities.

Recent travel they have enjoyed, travel tthey are planning, upcoming happy family events, someone's 50th wedding anniverwsary , someone'ws graudation, , new job........ there are a few likely safe topics. : :rolleyes: job promotione, new jobs....... Plans for Christtmas or Hannukah New Year's etc and which house will host the family,

We have encountered small groups on several ships where people were talking loudly about politics.

And we have also had to listen in a couple of restaurants some loud people talking about politics.

Sad -- we can not do anything about it in a restaurant. But on a ship, I wish they would go to a cabin or someplace where they do not disturb others.

We absolutely avoid any conversations about politics or religion with strangers while we are on a cruise or anywhere else for that matter.

Nor do we feel the need to knowingly speak in a loud voice to impress people with our views or our heritage. We are not that insecure that we feel the need to impress others-most especially strangers.

I hope you will agree with me that a cruise ship should be a politics-free zone. I was on the Zuiderdam last June, and a group of about 15 passengers took over the Crow's Nest each morning to talk rather loudly about their political views. This is rather a personal issue, and, I believe, should not be aired in this way in a very public area on a cruise ship. There are more private gathering places if necessary. Thank you

You can't be serious? You want to police what topics individuals are allowed to discuss in a public space. From the sounds of it, you were not an invited participant in the discussion, so under what circumstance do you believe you should be able to choose their topic of discussion. If you don't like the subject, don't eavesdrop.

I couldn't disagree with you more. I find that people who are uncomfortable about discussing politics do not know how to discuss the subject logically and unemotionally and, frequently, do not have the knowledge to do so. And, yes, that is one reason why political discussions can become too heated. On the other hand, there are many other subjects which carry the same characteristics. To suggest that one should curb their freedom of speech in a public place because others do not want to hear it or because the listener doesn't like the subject matter is, to me, repugnant.

It i s apublic space as is the r pool and MDR, they can talk about w haever thery wish an d anyone that doesn't care for it, should go elsewhere or disregard. They have every right to talk about whatever they wish . If your table is too near their's ask to be moved.away so you do not have to listen I if they become too boisteriously loud, Dining rooom Manager should handle that, with Security if necessary..

It i s apublic space as is the r pool and MDR, they can talk about w haever thery wish an d anyone that doesn't care for it, should go elsewhere or disregard. They have every right to talk about whatever they wish . If your table is too near their's ask to be moved.away so you do not have to listen I if they become too boisteriously loud, Dining rooom Manager should handle that, with Security if necessary..

Wait. I just read a thread, started by you, complaining about people talking during announcements. You didn’t seem to take it too well when others told you to go elsewhere if you didn’t like the conversation. Now you’re claiming public spaces and people have the right to talk about anything they wish? Which is it? Make up your mind.

No, I don't agree with your presumption that you have the moral authority to regulate the topics people talk about. Please feel free to relocate to a more private location of your choice.

It i s apublic pace as is the pool and MDR, they can talk about w hateve r thery wish and anyone that doesn't care for it, should go elsewhere or disregard. They have every right to talk about whatever they wish. If your table too near their's ask to be moved.away so you do n have to listen if they become too boisteriously loud, Dining rooom Manager should handle that, with Security if necessary..

First Amendment. Period.

First Amendment to the U.S. Constirution on a ship in International waters which is flagged in Netherlands................ with interntional l guests and crew. Let's think about

taking away that 'Period' ????

Wait. I just read a thread, started by you, complaining about people talking during announcements. You didn’t seem to take it too well when others told you to go elsewhere if you didn’t like the conversation. Now you’re claiming public spaces and people have the right to talk about anything they wish? Which is it? Make up your mind.

IMO you are trying to compare apples and road apples. The Posts by sail7seas on the other Thread have nothing to do with the content of other people's (very loud) conversations - she was merely asking folks to tone down the volume of their conversation while the Ship's Captain was making announcements. On the other hand, OP's rant on this Thread clearly has to do with the content (and not just the volume) of the offending (political) conversation.

Instead of attacking sail7seas, you might try to stay on topic.

Edited by avian777

Exactly what does the First Amendment have to do with anything when you are cruising outside of American waters????

The answer is nothing whatsoever.

Regardless of where a ship is cruising, the First Amendment has nothing to do with this topic, as the First Amendment is a limitation directed at the government and NOT at individuals.