Just back 4/18-1/25 cruise DAWN

Footballfan

My husband ,kids almost 10 and 13 yrs, and I loved everything about the cruise except the kids program BIG disappointment in the brochure it says 9-12 group. I signed my daughter up for one thing, the "beach party" on board one night.I dropped her off (walked 2 flights down) got back to the room and my husband said the kids program called and said our daughter was upset and didn't want to stay. Not like her at all she was looking forward to making friends, having been with her family the whole week.I went to get her and she was not there she was across the hall sitting on the floor with the 6-9 year olds. She could not go to the party it was only for 10-12 year olds. Her birthday is May 10th this did not matter . They were rude and said no exceptions to NCL's rules. My 12 year old son is 5'6" 130lbs no way would he hang out or fit in with the "guidelines". The kids program needs to be more flexible. A parent knows their kid best. Some kids are more mature than others. They should have 6-9 years and 9-12yrs as well as 12-15 etc. My husband and I also have a rash from ?swimming in stirrip cay (we think). Meals were outstanding. Staff was great. Although the kids crew staff seemed quite stressed out and not well organized.

Sorry to hear this

alligator-2_e0.gif

WallyGator

"Keep smiling and never stop cruising"

<marquee bgcolor="yellow" direction="left" behavior="scroll" scroll="continuous" scrollamount="6" vspace="5" hspace="10" align="center" style=" color:#003366; font-family:verdana; font-size:14; font-weight:bold; font-style:normal;"> Truth be said this Gator would rather be cruising! </marquee>

Celebrity Galaxy, Med Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;05;20;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Caribbean Princess

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;11;13;07;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

NCL Dawn Adventurers II

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2005;02;10;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Princess (Dawn)10/97

Carnival (Holiday)10/2001

Princess (Grand)01/2002

Norwegian(Star)09/2002

Princess (Dawn) 11/05/2002

Celebrity (Constellation)Transatlantic East Bound

04/26/2003

Norwegian Sky (Alaska) 08/30/2003

Norwegian Dawn 10/19/03

Norwegian Dawn, Crazy Cruisers 1/25/2004

wclark1192@aol.com

I happened to discuss the age bracket policy with a senior official on the Dawn this week, telling him how we had been concerned about splitting up our 5 and 7 year old grand kids, but it worked out great. We may know our kids, but they also know the buisiness as well as knowing kids. His main comment in that regad was "where would you draw the line".

As you point out, age is not the only factor, but it is the best one for them to go by. They must deal with the big picture, and this way is the best way for them, as it eliminates judgement calls. It also allows them to stay with their program, and not have to make daily adjustments to accomodate a mixed up group. If they vary the group, and also vary the program on any given day, they may be OK with some activities, but not so with others. How would you like it if you had a kid in the assigned age group, and found he or she was impacted in a negative way because of someone older or younger than what that group calls for? With 800 to 1100 kids on board, I don't think you want these young counsellors making such decisions. Just think how hectic that process alone would be during a school break cruise!! And what if you want to switch during the week!!I guess they figure they may lose some kids and maybe lose some customers, but in the general population, this is the safe way.

I can't blame them!!

Tom/Connecticut

Tom,

I am anxiously waiting to hear how your grandchildren did and what this cruise experience was like for you with your family.

I am especially anxious to know about the kids programs. My son will be 71/2 at sailing and the only experience I have had with kids programs is on RCCL.

Thanks!

Joanne

Norwegian Dawn

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;04;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2003;05;03;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Explorer of the Seas

Hi Tom

It sounds like you really enjoyed the Dawn as much as you did last year. I thought about you last week enjoying everything.

Welcome back!!!

Jeanne

Regal Empress

NCL Crown 6/98

Premier Rembrant 6/00

Carnival Sensation 2/02

NCL Dawn 6/03

till we sail on the Dawn 5/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I am really so disappointed! All the NCL info says they break up the kids and the age group is 9-12. We purposely chose this crusie line for this. Our children will be 9 and 11 when we sail and I was looking for a program that would allow them to remain together. One of the reasons we chose NCL instead of Disney is because it appeared to us our kids COULD stay together on NCL. Darn! While is all their brochure/website info wrong?

From ncl.com:

Navigators (ages 9-12) Navigators test their skill at Sega and video games, and search for treasures on scavenger hunts. Evenings are filled with pajama parties, movies, and camp-outs with flashlights and tents.

DJ

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;31;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

This is our FIRST Cruise

jeannep: It was great, with terrific weather. the only bad part is the short day in Nassau, but we had a great day at the island, especially the kids. I brought some dog biscuits I read about on the board, and in a minute we were surrounded by fish. I know I'll be jealous when you go on yours!!

jonsmom: I'll see my daughter tomorrow, and get more details on the kids. I know they loved it, and did not mind being split, though occasionally the 5 yr old would not commit to going, but always did. From my vantage point, noting we were always busy and did not want to constantly quiz the kids, I know they enjoyed the advertised things like the pizza making, pj party, craft activities, etc. The only complaint my daughter mentioned was lack of supervision in the kiddie pool area. They leave that to the parents, but many parents are lax in those responsibilities. Unfortunately some bigger kids get into the act on the slides and cause problems with the little ones. I think it was one of them that hurt his head trying to go up backwards into the dinasour slide. Though NCL staff and a Dr. immediately attended to his needs, it was awhile before his mother arrived. Also, one day the kids went there with their mom after we had returned from port, and played water games with the counselor, but not sure how that worked.

djmpj: If I understand you correctly, you would not like them to split the 9 - 12 age groups in half. If that's it, I don't know how often they do that, but certainly during these in-school vacation breaks when there are up to 1,000 kids on board. Not sure how it is in the summer, and maybe it varies. Maybe some others can help you out with those specifics.

I will get to a review ASAP.

Tom/Connecticut

DJMPj- Check with the cruise line .I was staring at the information in my room( -9-12 year old Navigators program-) when I spoke with the women in charge of the kids crew. When I went to pick my daughter up they said "she is over in the other room with the 6-9 year olds, where she belongs".This did not make sense. My husband and I really enjoy hanging out with our two kids so we were not interested in a babysitting arrangement but maybe a chance for them to have fun with other kids. Unfortunately this didn't happen other than at the pool.Perhaps you could find out how many kids will be on board that week. Last week Mass.,Conn. and N.H. were on vacation.~Go Red Sox~ I am sure you will have a great time food,staff and entertainment was great.

Tom - let me clarify.. I am upset because the ncl info says the children are broken into groups of 6-8 and 9-12. This would put my 9 and 11 year old together. However, here everyone is saying they put the 9 year olds with the 6-8 (there by making that age group 6-9).

The truth is, we are really looking forward to a nice FAMILY vaction and spending lots of time with the kids. However, for years I have been listening to family and friends tell me we HAVE to take a cruise becuase the kids will have a BLAST with all there is for them to do on board. I would like the benefit of the kids program, should they want to use it or should we need some adult time. I know my 9 year old will not stay in a 6-9 program and certainly won't do it without his brother. It ticks me off that NCL advertises incorrect info about their kids programs.

Other than that.. I plan on having a great time and can only hope that between now and October 31st the powers that be at NCL take a look at these boards and see all the complaints about the kids programs and do something about it!!

DJ

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;31;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

This is our FIRST Cruise

football..

I called ncl. They said the age groups are broken down the way their site indicates but are "subject to change". (a.k.a. they can do anything they want LOL).

We are going the first week in November. NJ schools only have school 2 days that week. I expect a lot of people will go on this cruise with their kids.

DJ

This is our FIRST Cruise

DJMPJ-I am sure you will have fun. How can you not sun 80's, beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Take advantage of the shows. Your whole family can enjoy together, "Bollywood" was great. We also did universal studios in port canaveral. We had express passes(expensive but the only way to go waited in line 2-10 minutes at the most- others waited 1-2 hours. Like I said I loved everything else about the cruise. My husband and I would book again,but not bother with the kids crew. Our kids want to bring their friends next time,maybe. Enjoy yourselves.

Footballfan & djmpj:

I'm confused, so I went to the NCL website, and see "part" of the problem. As you indicated, the site says 2 - 5, 6 - 8, and 9 - 12. My problem is I have three brouchures in front of me that clearly state on the cover, in bold print, 2 - 5, 6 - 9, and teens. I did not pick one up for the 10 - 12 group.

So, it seems even the person you spoke to from NCL may be confused, unless they hand out different brochures on different cruises, depending on the way they decide to break them out for that particular cruise.

Tom/Connecticut

My opinion, and I relize I am being cynical, NCL doesn't really have any policies about anything. If they write a brochure or answer a question they just say whatever pops into their heads. They don't worry about it because later, when the situation arises, they will just do whatever they want anyway.

If you point out it is different from what they said or what they printed they just say " sorry that's how were doing it and tough for you."

Obviously my bitternes is based on personal experience, but there are many others on this board who have had similar experience with NCL.

Tom - I just saw your post.

Thanks for giving me the information I was looking for. Sounds like the kids had lots to do.

I'll tell you, I would never count on another person supervising my child while in a pool. It just takes one minute of being distracted before a tragedy can strike. RCCI never allowed children to be in the kiddie pool without their parents supervising. Good rule.

Looking forward to your review.

Joanne

Norwegian Dawn

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;04;17;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2003;05;03;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Explorer of the Seas

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jonsmom:

I'll tell you, I would never count on another person supervising my child while in a pool. It just takes one minute of being distracted before a tragedy can strike. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree.....my sister did that once at her house. Someone was suppose to be watching my 18 month old niece while my sister was busy preparing food for a picnic. My sister found her daughter face down in their pool. Had to helicoper her to the nearest hospital. She almost died. 3 months in Childrens Hospital....thank God for miracles because they said that is what saved her. My sister knowing CPR was also a big help in getting the pool water, with chemicals just added, out of her lungs before the medic's got there.

Never leave you kids in a pool area with anyone but you.

<p align="center">swimgirl.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;1;30;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Countdown - Dawn 11 day cruise

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home Lines - 5/1988

Disney Wonder - 10/1998

Carnival Triumph - 7/2002

Carnival Legend - 10/2003

NCL - Dawn - 1/2005

</P>

My mother-in-law's friend wasn't as lucky last Summer. His grandchildren were taken to a local lake during one of the first heat waves last year by their caretaker. She forgot something back in the car and left her young daughters to watch the child in the water. She wasn't gone very long. He drowned. He was only 4 years old. This woman has to live with that for the rest of her life.

Norwegian Dawn

Explorer of the Seas

ENCHANT-yes coffee pots are similar to Mr.Coffee but why make it. There are menus to hang on the door the night before order 2 cups they give you 2 cups, order 4 and they bring you a pot. My husband and I had 2 cabins side by side with our kids we always ordered juice and 4 coffees and muffins for 6:30 a.m.(Its all included) so we could see the beautiful sunrises. Then we would go for a late breakfast or early lunch. There is always plenty of food. You can order room service 24 hours a day.Hope this helps. footballfan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by enchanters:

what kind of coffee pots are the in the state rooms, are they similar to mr. coffee"s<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not exactly - the "coffee" pots simply heat water for instant coffee or tea. It is in fact just a hot pot. As posted the coffee onboard is strong and fast from room service.

If you are a real coffee addict you can go to the java cafe or bring a your own and a french press.

Seaward 1/89,Southward II 1/91,Windward 10/93,

Norway 3/94,4/96

Dreamward 4/97

Dream 12/99

QE2 4/02

Carnival Spirit 7/02

NCL Sun 10/03

NCL Dawn 2/03,7/03,2/04

No Clock = No Next Cruise

Archived