What's your bio, solo cruisers?

HeartNP

I am 27 years old recently divorced. I love to cruise so I told myself why should I stop just because my relationship ended. So I booked my first solo cruise on The Freedom and I'm really excited about doing anything I want! :D However, I am kinda wondering what dinner is going to be like... Any suggestions for first time Solo?

universalmind_49------ On your next cruise , try Carnival it is a younger crowd

Good advice. I get all the perks from Royal Caribbean, but I'll probably branch out and give Carnival or NCL a shot next time.

I am 27 years old recently divorced. I love to cruise so I told myself why should I stop just because my relationship ended. So I booked my first solo cruise on The Freedom and I'm really excited about doing anything I want! :D However, I am kinda wondering what dinner is going to be like... Any suggestions for first time Solo?

We are in the same boat (no pun intended). I booked for an 8-person table at the late seating because I figured it would be a good way to get to know people a little better. There ended up only being five of us, two 50-something couples and myself. They were fine and I did end up talking to them around the ship and in port, but if they had put me with 80-year-olds I would've asked to be reseated the second night.

Your best bet might be My Time Dining. You can get on your cruise's roll call and meet people before the cruise online, then make dinner reservations with them or whomever you want every night of the cruise. You have to pre-pay your gratuities when you do that, but that's not really a big deal. Enjoy your trip!

My spouse refuses to go on a cruise because she is uncomfortable with being on the open ocean (similar to fear of flying) The first couple of cruises I took I had a wonderful time and came home begging her to consider coming with me on the next one. She wants to make me happy but just can't do it. I have now learned to make the best of it, be grateful that she allows me to go once a year and enjoy myself with people who are "cruise crazy" like me.

Do not eat alone or with couples or a family. Ask to sit at a table with other solo passengers (in your age bracket, if possible) The first or second night there should be a Singles Meet & Mingle that you can attend in order to see who else is travelling solo (and for them to see you) I am sure you will have a great time on board the Freedom.

Your best bet might be My Time Dining. You can get on your cruise's roll call and meet people before the cruise online, then make dinner reservations with them or whomever you want every night of the cruise. You have to pre-pay your gratuities when you do that, but that's not really a big deal. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for the advice! I joined the roll call and its very active & also signed up for MTD which I think gives me a little more freedom to change tables/meet different people every night.

My name is David from Atlanta Ga area. Ive taken 18 cruises. Started 2 yrs after getting out of Navy of 12 yrs. My sister is in the travel business and was able to get us all on ships for good rates. Im 49 yo, in shape, never married, no kids, and no relationships. I work as a automoive mechanic for a large company and have good benefits and make good money for somebody single. I get 3 weeks vacation a year and usually take cruises with family or Just my brother in law and I. Currently I have my first solo cruise booked for Nov this year.

I'm on the cusp of booking my first intentional solo cruise, sorta by accident. :) :p:eek:

I'm booked on Carnival Liberty for a 7-day in late September. In theory, the plan is to add my sister to my own solo booking if and when she can get me at least some of the money.

If she does, fine; we shared a cabin on my last cruise on CCL.

If not, then that's okay, too. More room for me and I can afford the solo cruise-fare. :)

I would definitely do it again; I'd just try to make sure I'm on a more social ship next time. Have fun!

A more social ship, a younger crowd, and definitely a shorter cruise duration. Carnival appeals to a younger-skewed demographic and that's exactly what I found comparing my RCCL and CCL cruises. I'm 48 myself, but I refuse to grow up; I have long hair and I'm a radio deejay. I ended up hanging out with some solo 20somethings on the ship. :D

BTW, is your nickname a song-title reference? I can think of two possibilities there, The Doors and Liquid Tension Experiment. Both great.

David30101, nice to see a familiar zip code! My mom is in Kennesaw GA and my aforementioned sister lives in Acworth. If you've got some Lake Allatoona vids up on YouTube, I'm pretty sure I've seen some of them. :cool:

I'm a 25 y/o male, single, no kids except for two Golden Retrievers, haha! From North Carolina and addicted to cruising. I currently have 2 booked, about to book number 3.

Just read all of the threads and I know your frustration...Friends in relationships, married, kids, unable to manage money, blah blah...I give up and intend to cruise alone and meet people. I'm also an only child so I'm very independent and it doesn't affect me to go alone. One person mentioned even dragging someone along because you're already paying double occupancy, I've tried that and it still doesn't work...I give up!

Trey

I'm about to go on my first solo cruise. I'm 29, married with two boys. We love to cruise as a family, we've been on three cruise as a family and my husband and I went on one before we had kids. This solo cruise is my mothers day gift so i can relax and re-charge in between my husbands long work trips. I'm a stay at home mom with a small crafting business so I'm really looking forward to reading a book in peace but the dining alone does not excite me that much so I hope I can meet some new people.

:pplanning on a t5 nighter from Vancouver all over the Pacific Ocean on HAL in September 2013. Single supplement reasonable enough that I can't afford to bring best friend, and he is fine with "giving it a miss". The only parts I find hard in LONG single cruises is when so many things are beautiful and I wish I could show them to my loved ones. (I am a terrible photographer...) But LOVE the solitude and no agendas. No trouble eating alone, do it in all the best places! Enjoy yourselves, solos. MUCH more room to spread out on a long voyage this way.

40 y/o male (widowed) will be sailing "semi solo" with my 6 year old son this November. This will be my fourth cruise and his first.

Oasis of the Seas - 7 nights

Out of Ft. Lauderdale, FL

November 24, 2012

Can't wait !!!

Just booked my first solo cruise (second in general)! Like so many others, I'm single, mid-thirties, with no friends interested in going. They all want to vacation with families. Strange, I know.

Anyway, I really enjoyed my first cruise and after lurking here, decided it was absurd to not vacation just because I'd be alone. So, I'm booked on the Carnival Freedom, 6 nights leaving November 25! The roll call thread seems quiet so far but I'm guess/hoping those typically pick up closer to sailing?

Hi! *waving*

This year I will be 40 for the tenth time. :) I'm a veterinarian switching to human medicine (nursing) on an independent-study basis so I'm trying to do a couple of cruises before the real world hits again. Just did my first solo cruise and had a ball! I joined the CC roll call for my cruise, LOVED having my own cabin, made lots of friends, did some group shore excursions but also went off on my own (highlights: renting a mini-moke on Barbados and spending the entire afternoon at Maho Beach on St. Maarten with my air band radio), read 10 books in 11 days, was offline the entire time and loved it, and can't wait to go again!

My brother, SIL, and I are thinking of organizing a family cruise with me, his family, and my parents, but other than that, I plan to cruise solo for the foreseeable future.

Thank you to all who have posted here. You have provided me with a lot of support. I am 65 years old, a retired high school teacher, and was widowed last July. My husband and best friend of 45 years and I took 14 cruises and loved them all. I want to continue to travel, especially cruise, and am greatly heartened by reading all of your posts. I have decided to book a European River Cruise next Autumn. Maybe an Australia/New Zealand cruise in January or February if I feel very brave :)

My name is Eric. I'm 38 yo. Live in NYC. And looooove to go cruising!!!

I've been on about a dozen cruises already, on CCL, NCL, & RCI. Most of the time I travel with groups of friends. But there have been times when I get every excuse in the book (Don't have the money. Can't get the time off work. Don't want to go anywhere. Don't like that particular itinerary.) But I don't let that stop me. I go anyway. I've already been on 3 cruises solo, and enjoyed every one. You meet so many people, that it doesn't feel like you're alone.

It all comes down to this. Don't let excuses stop you from living. Sometimes, if you wait on others, you'll never get to do the things you want to do. Life is too short for that.

So I don't let anything stop me...

Hi,

I'm Kathleen (Kathi), and coming to this board has been the hardest thing for me to do. I usually frequent the Cunard forum, but now I see the need to come here, too. I'm 49, and my husband just passed away in February. I'm not ready to travel yet, but when I do, I'll probably be going solo. My daughter is in post-grad school, so she has little time to go anywhere. I worked as an RN before my husband passed away, but I'm still having a really hard time going back to work in that capacity. My husband was hospitalized for 8 months before coming home on hospice care, and just thinking about walking back into a hospital sends me into tears.

I prefer transatlantic cruises, and when I take one I love to visit Scotland for awhile before sailing back. I'd like to take the New England and Canada cruise in October. Then after that I think I'll be ready for another TA. I love the ocean, no matter where it is.

I live in South Carolina but too far inland to get to the beach very often. However, right now we're getting some lovely rain from Tropical Storm/Depression Beryl (thank-you, thank-you!).

I look forward to getting to know you all, and I wish you many safe and pleasant voyages.

Hi Kathleen, just want say sorry for your loss.

I am in Jacksonville and Beryl hit us yesterday and all night long here:eek:

before heading up your way.......hope you stay safe too!:)

Hello Everyone......

My name is Barbara-52yrs,Single Never Married

and no Children........

Most of my Cruises is Solo.......

My Niece & her Family in Mississippi,,has ask

me to join them on some of their Cruises...

I am fine Cruising Solo......

And it is Fun & nice to Cruise with Family..

I am Cruising with them June-28th..

Then in Sept-Bday Cruise doing a Solo BTB......

Edited by BARBARA J.W.

Hi all,

I turned the big 50 this year eeek! It was quite painless, but annoying as I still feel 25 haha and still act it too!

I sadly lost my hubby suddenly 10 years ago ( he had a heart attack at the side of the road on his way home from seeing a doctor)

Since then I really not felt like going away, so spent holidays visiting family.

I decided now I'm 50 that it was time to get out there. After looking for a beach holiday, it didn't feel right? I don't think that is wise with me going alone, I don't think I would feel safe. Who would look after my purse if I fancied a dip in the pool?

I thought about a cruise years ago when on a family holiday on the Norfolk Broads lol I remember saying to my sister "one day I'm going on a ship"

Long story a bit shorter...... I decided that this year I'd book a cruise and go for it!

And now I have booked, all I seem to be doing is writing list after list of things to do before I go lol

It's been so long, it turns out I have to but a new suitcase! :D

I'm enjoying reading through the forum finding out things, with all the hints and tips, and things I would never have thought of!

So here's to making new friends at the start of my new life adventures! :)

VL

Hi Venus Lady, I predict that you will LOVE cruise holidays and this will be the first of many. A cruise is so much better (safer and more enjoyable) for solo travellers because people are friendlier and look out for each other. When you want to swim in the pool you don't have to worry about your purse because it's safe in your cabin and when you do go to the beach, you will have shipmates to go with who will watch your things. Instead of dining alone in a hotel or restaurant you can "meet & eat" with lots of other people. It is a great holiday, Just wait and see!!!