Thinking of booking a studio on NCL Norwegian Epic

adaymerced

So I've been doing solo for a few years, but have primarily stuck with Royal Caribbean and Carnival (mostly Royal Caribbean) but after looking at the rates for the Studio, and quite honestly, wanting to encourage cruise lines to do more for solo cruisers, I'm thinking of booking on Norwegian Epic out of Miami next November.

Has anyone done the studio on this ship? I'm generally one of those that spends very little time in the cabin and I prefer an interior cabin because I like to have it pitch black when I sleep.

The entertainment looks fantastic and the restaurants look delicious! How do they compare?

Hi all!

adaymerced ~ I've done Freedom of the Seas solo twice as well as a Celebrity & HAL & l-o-v-e-d Epic! I went solo last year on the 4 & 7 day Med cruises & liked it so much I did the Eastern Caribbean in Nov.

The studio cabins are big enough for what one needs & if you want to read or be on your laptop without sitting on the bed you can go to the Living room. That is such a neat place for having a quick breakfast before an early tour, a cookie & specialty coffee whenever & at 5:30 (see guide) meet up with other solos for possibly going to dinner together or to a show.

The shows are great as are the restaurants. Andy the CD & his staff are fun. It's a fun ship & doesn't seem as big as it is, doesn't seem crowded & has lots to do. Many people have cruised on it more than once so that says something!:D

~ Jo ~ :)

I was in a Studio cabin on the Epic last year. Like you, I don’t spend a lot of time in my cabin and also like my room very dark. The Studio was perfect for me. It may be small but I didn’t have any issues with it. I liked the layout of the room and it was also completely dark when the lights were out. I enjoyed the Living Room area that is just for Studio guests.

I was hesitant to book the Epic because of the size but after being on the ship, it now my favorite. It never felt crowded to me either. I loved the entertainment on the Epic also. There was so much to do during the days and nights that I wish I had another week on the ship.

I admit that I am curious about the studios and the Living Room area on the Epic. I mat consider sailing on her, but on something longer than a 7-day cruise. Maybe the westbound transatlantic cruise in the fall.

Luis

So I've been doing solo for a few years, but have primarily stuck with Royal Caribbean and Carnival (mostly Royal Caribbean) but after looking at the rates for the Studio, and quite honestly, wanting to encourage cruise lines to do more for solo cruisers, I'm thinking of booking on Norwegian Epic out of Miami next November.

Has anyone done the studio on this ship? I'm generally one of those that spends very little time in the cabin and I prefer an interior cabin because I like to have it pitch black when I sleep.

The entertainment looks fantastic and the restaurants look delicious! How do they compare?

I enjoyed my studio a lot last December- like you I like it dark when I sleep. Also, the room had a more modern look to it. I only slept in there and went in for a few minutes like 4:30-5 to shower before the solo gathering. There is so much to do on the ship that given you don't spend much time in the cabin the studio is fine in my honest opinion

• 2 weeks later...

I recently sailed on the Epic - my first cruise! I also stayed in a studio and absolutely loved it!!! The room did not feel as small and cramped as I thought it would. I was also able to unpack everything. The studio lounge was absolutely wonderful too. It was a great central meeting point. We had a large and diverse group of people staying in the studios. My only tip - see if you can book a room somewhat close to the lounge - it will make things much easier!

I am looking into booking the Epic again next winter. My only complaint - it is too far away! :(

Also looking into other options for this summer as well - though I am not sure how solo friendly other cruise lines are.

Enjoy your trip on the Epic :)

I was recently on the EPICS in an inside cabin (I thought the studio was going to be to small). A friend had one of the studios on the cruise and after having a look at it I am now sold. It is a very functional layout, and having access to the living room and it's amenities makes it even better. My next cruise is booked in a Studio.

The EPIC has excellent entertainment.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't see that it saves much money for solos from a regular inside cabin. The new Breakaway is like the Epic and I was just pricing the inaguaral TA cruise from England. The price for one in a studio wasn't much less than the double price for a regular inside with more room. What am I missing?

I don't see that it saves much money for solos from a regular inside cabin. The new Breakaway is like the Epic and I was just pricing the inaguaral TA cruise from England. The price for one in a studio wasn't much less than the double price for a regular inside with more room. What am I missing?

You're not missing anything, at least not for that sailing. It's actually more for a solo to cruise that TA sailing in a studio, as opposed to a regular inside. Studios are $1449, while the insides are as low as $1311, which is under the 100% supplement. For the regular sailings to follow, the insides are at the full 100% supplement, while the studios will have a phantom supplement. An inside might be $1200 for a solo, while a studio is about $930 (55% supplement) as opposed to $600. There is a hidden supplement built into the cost of the studios. It's just not a full 100%.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the Transatlantic from April 14-25 and sailed solo in a studio cabin. I've written a partial (and hastily written review here)

11 days at sea and I didn't mind the studio cabin one bit. Considering that it wasn't the warmest time of year you don't miss much being in a studio or inside cabin. However I would like to book a balcony on the Epic if I decide to do B2Bs as there is what some have mentioned a "disconnect" to the sea and it would be nice especially on port intensive trips where you can have great views coming into and going out of harbors.

The Entertainment is great and the restaurants are too. There's plenty to do, see and eat. I've traveled solo on the Jade and Epic. The Epic offers more to solo travelers that are interested in meeting other people without putting too much effort into it. Norwegian though has such friendly crew, staff and officers that I find sailing solo on their ships quite a pleasant experience.

I'm sure it depends on the sailing. I'm booked in a studio on the Epic next fall and booking the studio was about $400 less than booking an inside. I've always booked a balcony so I'm a little concerned about having no view, but I couldn't resist the price of the studio! :D

For me, the lure of the Epic is not so much the studios themselves, knowing that they may be more expensive than a regular inside. It's the fact that the Epic (and the Breakaway) affirmatively acknowledge our existence!

That makes these two ships attractive to me. (And Princess' decision to give double credits to solo travelers makes their ships more attractive to me as well.)

For me, the lure of the Epic is not so much the studios themselves, knowing that they may be more expensive than a regular inside. It's the fact that the Epic (and the Breakaway) affirmatively acknowledge our existence!

That makes these two ships attractive to me. (And Princess' decision to give double credits to solo travelers makes their ships more attractive to me as well.)

Double credits???

I am thinking of returning either mid- November or mid-December.

In terms of the space- see I haven't ever had a balcony so it is not something I am giving up.

I will say as a solo traveler, I just used the room to sleep in and shower in during the day. There was so much to do and I wanted to be outside as much as possible.

I have the Breakaway booked, but with only 59 studio cabins, I do not suspect that it will be a solo friendly. Any thoughts?

Also, for those of you that did NCL solo, how is it different from doing other lines solo. I really don't like the idea of being forced into a particular dining time which is why NCL is better for me

I am thinking of returning either mid- November or mid-December.

In terms of the space- see I haven't ever had a balcony so it is not something I am giving up.

I will say as a solo traveler, I just used the room to sleep in and shower in during the day. There was so much to do and I wanted to be outside as much as possible.

I have the Breakaway booked, but with only 59 studio cabins, I do not suspect that it will be a solo friendly. Any thoughts?

Also, for those of you that did NCL solo, how is it different from doing other lines solo. I really don't like the idea of being forced into a particular dining time which is why NCL is better for me

Howard, I've sailed only Princess and Carnival, and neither of them solo, but both lines offer a flexible dining time (Anytime Dining and Your Time Dining).

I suspect that, like you, I won't spend much time in my studio so the space will be fine. In the past I've spent time in my cabin, but it's usually been on the balcony. I'm not at all worried about the size of the cabin being small.

:D

Archived