Oasis, the good, the OK, and the Ugly

momto2js

We just got off Oasis. We had a nice trip. This one was just my 2 sons (age 8 and 10) and I. We booked it about 10 days before the trip so it was also pretty last minute. Here are my thoughts.

The good: The boat was amazing. The physical plant is just fantastic. My kids were busy for 6 days on the ship and that is saying something. It is very much a floating resort. The shows and entertainment were also really good. My kids enjoyed the trip very much.

The OK: We sailed on NCL escape last month and I have to say that other than the food in the MDR, I found eating on Oasis to be a real challenge. The quick eating options are just too spread out. It is far worse than the situation at a large mall food court because the eateries are so spread out. One wants pizza, one a hotdog and I want a sandwich. That means we need to get food from 3 different eateries on 3 different decks. I did not find the layout or options in the the windjammer to be plentiful or appetizing and on Escape we ate in the buffet several times a day. I keep thinking I must have missed a huge section. It was also the only ship I have ever been on that didn't have complementary available most of the day and night. We manage to eat, but it took more work than I expected. Our MDR, experience was great. We had "my time dining" but I had reservations at the same time each night and managed to have the same table and server every night. By the second day they knew the kids and took good care of us.

The ugly. Both embarkation and disembarkation took way to long. We arrived at the port at 11am and did not board until 1:15 and then one of the kids cards did not work so I got to stand in the guest service line for another hour for another key for one of them. The fact that parents can not decline charging privileges at check in is also a hassle that other lines have managed to avoid. We were also told that they can not limit the arcade spending (which honestly should not be that hard if they wanted to.) On other lines we were able to simply disable any spending on the kids cards at check in and it was not something I had to worry about.

Disembarkation this am took almost 2 hours. I don't know if it is a Port Canaveral thing or an RCI thing but of all our cruises the only 2 times we have had delays getting off the ship it has been on RCI and at Canaveral. We were in line for walk-off at 615am (my guess is that there were at least 600 people in front of us) and finally walked out of the terminal at 8am. We also walked-off Escape and we were in the car in less than 30 minutes. The line and waiting were hot and miserable this AM and of course we were all tired and cranky. Had I known, I would have had snacks and drinks for the kids.

We did have a good trip and I have booked Harmony for next fall for the whole family.

Wow, surprised your debarkation took so long. We joined the line at 6:20 and were on the curb at 7:30. I thought that was pretty good with the number of people getting off. It must have been half the ship!

We too weren't very impressed with the Windjammer but we really liked the Park Cafe. We for sure didn't go hungry. I already miss the coconut ranger cookies.

So sorry you had such a long embarkation and debarkation!!

We have been on the Oasis three times this year and every time we were onboard and at Park Cafe by 11:30. We also do self assist and get in line very early and each time was walking out of the terminal by 7:00am.

Not sure what happened on your cruise, but maybe they didn’t have enough Customs agents.

I am sure with having children with you it made for a not so pleasant experience. Hopefully your Harmony cruise will be much less hectic!!

We were in line by 6:05 this morning. The line started moving right at 6:30. We were in our car headed home well before 7:00.

I would agree with you about the food. I had one kid that would only eat the pizza at Sorrento’s. Our MDR experience was horrendous. 2 hours to eat is just way too long with kids, but the options in WJ just weren’t appealing.

We booked Harmony for next fall as well. Can’t wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did not do self disembark this morning but while waiting in the Opal Theater they said they only had 3 agents and that was the cause for the delay. Our time was 8 am and we didn't get called till almost 9. Embarkation was super easy though, arrived at 11 and was on the ship by 1130.

Was a nice cruise but I just don't think Oasis Class is for us. We will stick with the smaller RCI ships! :-)

Unless you were at a large table enjoying all courses, e.g. appetizers, soup, salad, entree, dessert, coffee, with wine, conversation, etc. it shouldn't take two hours for dinner. Some people do enjoy the formal dinner experience.

Try just sitting with your own family and telling the waiters you want to be done quickly. They will accommodate you as much as possible.

Windjammer at night usually has similar menu to MDR, except buffet.

On Oasis 17 of September in a JS. Arrived at the port at a not 10 to 10:30am, quickly checked in and didnt have time to sit before starting boarding.

Disembarkation we used luggage valet, ate breakfast in MDR and walked off. We were on the curb within 30 minutes at about 8:45, completely unrushed/stressed the whole morning.

I'm guessing issues area crap shoot. Depends on clearing the ship, available customs agents, LEOs, etc. Not always Royals fault I suspect.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

The WJ on Oasis is comically small for a ship that size. Before Oasis we went on a 7 day on Regal Princess. Let me tell you, that ship which is not nearly as big as Oasis had a buffet twice as big on their aft upper deck with twice the amount of seating. It was really nice with hot bars with various offerings, salad bars, bread bars, seafood bars, sandwich bars, dessert bars, etc... Basically everything. Put Royal's Oasis to shame.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

If you like the MDR experience do the assigned early seating. I like that Royal offers an option with this seating to expedite the kids meals and then scoop them up for the Adventure Ocean club. You get to dine together, and then they leave early and you get to enjoy the second half at a leisurely place.

I almost never self disembark, especially with kids. Mainly because I don't want to manage all the luggage and the kids. It's also why I now just check bags while flying. I'd rather pay a fee and have some free hands.

I haven't been on Oasis yet but will be there soon! I'm not a buffet person so usually plan my food around other venues. My sons are not coming this time due to the trip being too close to midterms, should be relaxing traveling with only 1 kid instead of 3 (youngest is 2 and can skip dsycare).

Really enjoyed reading your review.

I like the WJ set up but can understand why it doesn't work for everybody. Especially if you have been on other cruise lines where they do it better or more to your liking. Sadly I have never been on NCL so can't compare but heard good things about them.

I am so glad you pointed out problems with embarkation / disembarkation. These happen from time to time in my experience but not all the time. Usually embarkation (especially that early) is really smooth. Generally, I find RCI are well organised with the embarkation/debarkation procedures (30 yrs experience sailing with them) but sometimes delays cause chaos (usually an exception).

The great benefit of Oasis and other ships in same class is that there are a whole number of different dinning venues. I find that if you mix it up then over 7 days, shortcomings in any given venue is never going to be a deal breaker, just one to avoid for rest of cruise.

We were on the same sailing with adult children and granddaughters (5&3). We were in a suite so my observations on embarkation and debarkation don't really count. But they weren't and their's was pretty much excellent. We had a late flight so didn't really leave until 9:00 AM. We expected the worse at CBP due to two passports being stolen. It hardly slowed them down. They were at the curb by 9:35 AM. We did luggage express so that helped a lot. Embarkation we got there about 11:00 AM and everybody was on board by 11:45 AM.

I agree about the food venues being so spread out. But I guess that's why the ship doesn't feel crowded most of the time. We found the MDR food almost uneatable. Salmon was dry and overcooked. Same with the filet and the lobster bisque was like tomato soup only more watery. Found Sabor to have the best food on the ship, excluding Chef's Table.

The ship is amazing.

Thanks for the review...I'm sailing Oasis for a B2B in less than 2 weeks. Park Cafe is supposedly open 24 hours...was it not on your cruise? It's been listed as such in the Cruise Compasses I've seen.

Also, I'm surprised you complain about embarkation and disembarkation after Escape. NCL must have really upped their game because it was absolutely HORRENDOUS when I went on Epic earlier this year and Getaway last year. Little ships are fine, the big ones though....*cringe* Honestly, slightly over two hours, considering you got there at 11:00 is pretty good for a ship that size. Personally, I take a cab/Uber and get there super early and hang out until the ship is ready. Always on in time for lunch. :-)