What'd Ya Forget?

Specially_K

On the Escape last year...enough clothes!! I was so worried about overpacking that I did the complete opposite!

But a funny story about our second cruise, which was also our ten year anniversary. Our twins were 5 and we were going on our first vacation without them - on the Jewel of the Seas. It was also right about the time iPod Nano's came out. I was so excited to buy a Nano and a speaker just for this trip so we could listen to it on our balcony. Well we get to our hotel the day before the cruise...and no ipod. I had our house sitter search our room and she found it behind the bedroom door. Turns out one of the kids had hidden it there while I was packing. Good thing there are companies who deliver by 10 am the next day! We hung out at the hotel until the package arrived and then headed to the port. Yeah, in hindsight that was a pretty dumb thing to get worked up about, but at the time I really wanted that new toy! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Once when we were on the Epic Western Med, we were staying somewhere in the UK a couple of nights before the cruise and on the first night my wife discovered that she had forgotten to pack me any spare underwear in the bags for the UK part. She didn't want to open up the bags for the main trip, so we stopped off at a supermarket to buy some spares for those couple of days.

No problem.

Anyway, we flew to Barcelona the day before the cruise and the next morning she opened up the cases and discovered that there was none in there either. All my underwear was left at home and the spares we bought were in the car at the airport.

It was Sunday, so not many shops open, and we needed to get onboard, so we had to go without. We also had a look in Naples for some, but couple only find a few expensive designer pairs.

So, all I had was what I was wearing and two pairs of swimming trunks. Every evening we would wash them in the sink and I would wear swimming trunks under my clothes when we went for dinner whilst they dried.

It all worked out OK, but we I still remind her about it every holiday. :)

OK... what did you forget to pack on your last cruise?

Let us all learn from your... um... misfortune! :halo:

OK... go!

So far I've never forgotten anything. But on our first couple of cruises I hadn't thought about otc meds until I got a bad cold and had to buy cough drops and cough syrup from shipboard store (transatlantic so no ports). VERY expensive!!

Ever since then I put cold meds, etc etc on my packing list.

I rarely forget anything, and when I do, fortunately it's been on the "would be nice" part of the packing list. For this past cruise, I forgot to bring an empty water bottle. No biggie. When I was on the ship, I filled a glass with ice and left it next to my bed. Always had cold water in the middle of the night when I woke up thirsty. At the first port, I bought a bottle of water, drained what I didn't drink before I got back on the ship, and refilled that over and over again.

Didn't forget anything, but brought the "wrong" thing. My husband sorted his shirts into two piles on the bed - the ones he wanted and the ones staying home because they were stained, torn, didn't fit, whatever. Well you guessed it, I grabbed and packed the wrong pile, which we didn't discover until we were unpacking onboard. Good thing our first stop was San Juan where we headed straight for Marshalls.

I'm so glad someone started this great thread. I've never forgotten anything since I tend to overpack but would have this upcoming TA had I not read this. We'll spend time in Spain and Italy after the cruise and I hadn't even thought about taking our European plug converter. So to Kathy Belcher - sorry you forgot yours but thanks for posting so we won't forgot ours!

What did I forget? :o

My husband & I were sailing to New York for Christmas with my mother from Southampton on the QM2.

We live in NE Scotland so we took a 7 hour train journey to London then continued with a 1 hour train journey to Southampton the night before embarkation.

It was only on checking in to our hotel at Southampton that it was noticed that I'd left something behind

...........MY SUITCASE! :eek:

Yes everything was in that case I only had a carry on bag with clothes for the next day, but NOTHING else.

My heart sank, there was no way I could get back upto Scotland, collect my case and get back down to Southampton. We looked at a courier service but that would have been tight for time and it would have cost a fortune.

So with about 40 minutes before closing I was dashing round one of our cheap clothing shops, Primark, (some take the mickey and call it Pradamark!) it was like "Dales Supermarket sweep" (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8g50I5FsXe8 (FF to about 16:15)) Jeesh was that really 30 years ago? :o

I needed: chinos, jeans, polo shirts, smart shirts, t shirts, wing collared shirts, tuxedo, bow tie, shorts, swim shorts, dress shoes, sandals, blazer, cufflinks, socks, underwear, oh and a suitcase! :rolleyes:

Both the sales assistant and I were dashing around, grabbing clothes off racks and I was trying them on as best I could. Throwing them into a basket and moving onto the next item on the list.

However it had to be done, I was sailing the next day on the poshest ship possible. I couldn't spend the next 7 evenings banished to the Kings Court buffet and the 1 bar which didn't follow the strict dress codes.

It was certainly an experience and a learning curve! I'm still being reminded about my debacle almost 18 months later.

My next cruise is in a little over two weeks. Rest assured I'll check and double check I've got my suitcase. This time I'm sailing NCL so it's not quite so important.

Can anyone beat that?

Grant.

Hmm...magnets? Are they for the balcony door? If so, how does one use them?

This is from Princess, but it's the only picture I have of it. We use magnetic clips to hang mostly paperwork, daily envelopes, tickets, the daily newsletter... on this particular example, it was our first time on the ship, so we hung a map up there. Our itinerary is posted up there... the envelopes have each day's excursion tickets, tip cash, whatever paperwork goes off the ship that day. Also up there... a note to each other, US and CA customs forms, an event on the ship we wished to attend... basically a bulletin board.

We do poorly with all that crap piled up on the table or shoved in a drawer. Not for everyone, but its just our management style... no kids and and a beverage package means things get lost and forgotten if not top of mind!

magets-paperwork.jpg

While on our last cruise, my husband broke a shoe lace on his dress shoes. Luckily he could still tie a bow so he could wear them to dinner. The next night his other lace broke. We were on a Caribbean cruise so not many islands carried black laces. We did find black laces in Bonaire and bought 2 packages. We have a spare if it ever happens again!

Years ago I suffered from severe migraines and of all things I forgot my prescribed medicine! Lucky we sailed to Bermuda when one hit me for being in the sun too long. My sister-in-law worked at the drugstore/pharmacy and since it was not enough time to call my pharmacist the pharmacist took me to "over the counter" meds and told me what I could take over the bottle amount safely. I always triple check all of my meds now and carry in my purse.