Rooms or cabins?

jeanlyon

Technically, they are staterooms. Cabin sounds rustic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Might sound rustic, but it’s what they are called, on P&O anyway (which this thread refers to). Other lines call them staterooms, but that sounds to me like something you would find in Buckingham Palace. I guess it doesn’t really matter what we all think - P&O has the casting vote on what they call their accommodation - and they call them cabins.

Rustic? Are you thinking log cabin? Ships and boats always have cabins! Even on sailing boats they are called cabins. Tskkk!

Staterooms - what a ridiculous word. That's what you see when you visit a palace.

Nothing has changed Jean. They are still cabins and always have been. Just as they are still ships and not boats! Funny how different things can grate. My pet hate is when people put ‘the’ in front of ship names. We are going on Aurora soon - not ‘the’ Aurora :')

Ships carry boats for the crew etc. to go ashore where it is too shallow for a ship to berth alongside.

Ships names have a pre-fix denoting their type of propulsion examples: GTS ( Celebrity Milenium class), TS Canberra, SS Great Britain, MV Aurora, STS Winston Churchill. An example exception is RMS (Royal Mail Ship) St. Helena taking mail to the remote South Atlantic Isles.

Cabins for sure not rooms or staterooms...ships if I'm on a boat some junior officer is taking me ashore... definitely a deck not a floor (love the one about the ground floor).Port and Starboard Forard and Aft not the alternatives. I don't have brunch either always a late breakfast

Even P&O call them cruise holidays now, which I hate. Carol Marlow was a stickler for correct terminology - cabins, decks etc but they are trying to attract a whole new generation now, which have only ever booked hotel rooms on floors. I had to laugh at the 'ground floor' comment though. Which deck was that - there are usually at least two decks below the lowest passenger one for crew and systems.

Isn't QM2 still technically RMS?

I read a strange comment about a lower deck cabin-'we were very unhappy with our room which was on the ground floor'

Love it! It's such a shame really, half the fun of going o a cruise is the difference from a hotel or beach holiday. Same thing with terminology. Port and starboard have all but disappeared and it's not that difficult - port has 4 letters and so does left!

I call them cabins but, hey, 'whatever floats your boat'........or is that ship ?

So I go to the terminal and climb up the ramp onto the boat where I take the elevator to the fifth floor and turn to the left side to find my room number. The numbers get bigger going to the front of the boat so I head for the back. One of the maids in the hallway tell me that should I want some lunch I can go up to the top of the boat where they are serving at the lunch counter. The suit cases are not yet delivered so I turn on the TV and watch some rerun untill I hear the whistle go seven short and one long telling me that I have to go to the safety lecture and find out where the escape boats are in case we have to get off the ship. Ya, that's it, ship .;p

I read a strange comment about a lower deck cabin-'we were very unhappy with our room which was on the ground floor'

They should have thought themselves lucky that they weren't in the basement. :)

First cruise I went on we did not drive to the cruise terminal. It was Cunard and we travelled on the Boat Train to the ship. Then there was a short walk to the "Passenger Sheds". In here all the luggage, tickets and everything was sorted out by the appropriate personnel.

Regards John

Selb says,

>My pet hate is when people put ‘the’ in front of ship names. We are going on Aurora soon - not ‘the’ Aurora

It is The Aurora, not "the Aurora" or "Aurora", as in The USS Gerald R Ford and The USS John F Kennedy.

Ira

My DH always calls it a boat, because he knows how to push my buttons. I tell him, it is a ship, the boat is what you get on if the ship sinks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most of what P&O operate are slab sided high rise floating hotels, so rooms and floors is the best description.

Selb says,

>My pet hate is when people put ‘the’ in front of ship names. We are going on Aurora soon - not ‘the’ Aurora

It is The Aurora, not "the Aurora" or "Aurora", as in The USS Gerald R Ford and The USS John F Kennedy.

Ira

Not so. Just because many people say it doesn’t make it correct! If the name written on the side of the ship said ‘The Aurora’ then you would refer to it as ‘The Aurora’. If the name says ‘Aurora’ (as it does) then you call it ‘Aurora’ or you might refer to it as ‘the cruise ship Aurora’, but not ‘The Aurora’. Just as, if your name is Fred, you don’t expect people to refer to you as ‘The Fred’. No idea what the correct terminology is in the US but that’s the correct use of the English language in the U.K.

Not so. Just because many people say it doesn’t make it correct! If the name written on the side of the ship said ‘The Aurora’ then you would refer to it as ‘The Aurora’. If the name says ‘Aurora’ (as it does) then you call it ‘Aurora’ or you might refer to it as ‘the cruise ship Aurora’, but not ‘The Aurora’. Just as, if your name is Fred, you don’t expect people to refer to you as ‘The Fred’. No idea what the correct terminology is in the US but that’s the correct use of the English language in the U.K.

As there are currently 3 " Aurora" ships registered with that name according to ship finder perhaps you might be better refering to the P&O vessel as "THE P&O vessel Aurora" just so people don't get mistaken ?!!

Sent from my B3-A40FHD using Forums mobile app

As there are currently 3 " Aurora" ships registered with that name according to ship finder perhaps you might be better refering to the P&O vessel as "THE P&O vessel Aurora" just so people don't get mistaken ?!!

Sent from my B3-A40FHD using Forums mobile app

I’m fine with that, as it would still be correct use of the English language ;)

As a linguist, I wonder if this is something that is creeping/has crept in from European English, which comes of our European neighbours applying their grammar and syntax to English and/or ropey translations on multilingual websites.Wikipedia, etc. Several European languages, German in particular, use the definite article much more than English. In spoken German one would say "Where is the Selbourne?" (Wo ist der Selbourne?). It bugs me too.

And yes, agree, cabin, deck, ship.