FREEDOM - MDR food is fine - ask for what you don’t see

I had been reading the boards before my Freedom there were just so very many complaints about MDR food. I am happy to report the food in MDR was fine. I had late seating (8 pm). Yes there are baskets of bread already on the table waitting for guests (I liked when the assistant came around the basket and gave offers and options.) My favorite - the cheese bread - was not included in what was on the tables. My waiter had head waiter come to my table and he assured me there would be cheese bread waiting for me every night after. And indeed there was - on a plate with a cover on top. Also, cold soups are no longer on the menu nightly. Someone I met on the cruise told me there were cold soups nightly in the Windjammer. So I asked and head waiter assured me I would have cold soups nightly. And indeed, even if not on MDR menu, it was there for me. I think requests in MDR are easier to make happen if someone has pre reserved seating time. Cold soups were a standard on the MDR menus for years. Menu options overall are less than what used to be offered. I enjoy the flexibiliy of My Time Dining but this cruise worked for me with pre reserved second seating time. Given my “likes” I may not be able to do expect My Time waiters to be able to take care of my food requests.

If you were on the 6 night sailing, can you please tell me which night was lobster night? That is , if there is still a lobster night lol!

Yes it was the 6 night cruise. Lobster night in MDR was night 5 - the second formal night my waiter brought me two as I requested and took both out the shell for me at the table, also as i requested. I noticed diners at other tables were served but they were working on their own ”deshelling”. I have heard lobster also served in Windjammer on “Lobster Night” but someone who was there needs to answer that.

Just off Freedom today March 17,2017. Totally agree.Dining Room food was great,nothing wrong at all had MTD. Day 5 Cozumel was lobster night. Had two lobsters and steak. Here is a tip order the NY Strip that is on the menu also and you have a Surf n turf. Whoever made up the story that you can't get two of something now is totally wrong. My guess is you had a new waiter or one that was poorly trained. We never wanted for anything including the refill of wine . We asked and we received it. No complaints at all.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on the 2/25 6 night sailing. Upon boarding I went to the dining room to see if a waiter we had for MTD on the TA last April was still on board. The hostess said she didn't know and if he was on board whether he was still in MTD. We went at our reservation time of 7:30. Sure enough they made it happen. It was as if the 10 months between sailing had been 10 days. When it came time for dessert he brought me my banana split made with coffee ice cream which is not on the menu. I didn't even have to ask. Also every night our head waiter came to the table with the next night's menu for my friend who has a severe peanut allergy. The food was always very good and the service was terrific. Just stay away from the coconut "pudding". It had the consistancy and taste of paste they use in elementary schools.

Thanks for all the great feedback. You wouldn’t by any chance have the menus for the 6 days would ya? Or even the order? Basil, mojo ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I do not take photos of menus.

We were on the 2-25 sailing and we were extremely happy with the MDR. We had our cheese rolls every night [emoji4]. Our waiter was Cris Polo and he was fabulous!! Drink service was excellent also. Food was very good and plenty. Head waiter stopped by our table every night. She was very fun and pleasant. I would definitely not spend money in a specialty restaurant. I would not have missed a night with this amazing MDR team.

Speaking of needing to ask, how about Indian food in MDR? Can you get something off menu like Indian veg?

I remember there was something on the menu one evening with Curry but that's as far as "Indian" I can remember. The main dining room menu is posted outside of the MDR daily.

Thanks for all the great feedback. You wouldn’t by any chance have the menus for the 6 days would ya? Or even the order? Basil, mojo ect.

The new menus are no longer following the seasonings themes.

I am going on the May 19th Southern Carribean cruise on FOS (7 nights out of San Juan). Is there a lobster night on this cruise in MDR?

Freedom has not yet started cruising from San Juan, so we have no history to report. My guess would be lobster offered on the second formal night.

I'm on the June 9 Southern Caribbean cruise on Freedom. I'd be interested in seeing menus and compasses from one of the earlier cruises (like this May 19.) I think May 19 is either the first or second FOS cruise with this itinerary.

I am going on the May 19th Southern Carribean cruise on FOS (7 nights out of San Juan). Is there a lobster night on this cruise in MDR?

Adventure out of Puerto Rico had lobster tail offered on second formal night (per CruiseLifeRick and same cruise as Bob was on.) As Lobster Tails are being loaded for cruises out of Puerto Rico you should see them on menu 2nd formal night on Freedom out of Puerto Rico. But until Freedom is actually there it is an “in theory” guess on my part.

Speaking of needing to ask, how about Indian food in MDR? Can you get something off menu like Indian veg?

I was told there is always an Indian veg and an Indian meat option. You *can* order it the night before but don't *have* to, so you can definitely do it with MTD as well, just like the cold soup.

We did freedom in the Med. last summer. About half my family (Americans) lives in the middle east and we are all used to eating spicy curries and other ethnic foods. On the second day my brother in law joked with our indian waiter about the fact that he needed to make us some food, because he would know how to make some good curry. The next four nights we had huge plates and bowl of curries and masalas that were not on the menu but that had been made just for us. It was fantastic.