Is P&O for us?

Brad548ye

Hi everyone,

I'm just wanting to get a bit of advice with regard to P&O cruises please. I'm from the UK and have only cruised twice and that was back in 2010 and 2011. The first was with NCL around the Med and the second was with Carnival down the coast of Mexico and LA.

My wife and I are interested in doing a cruise up the coast of Norway this year along with our 5 year old daughter. I've found a particular sailing on the Ventura on 28/07/2018 which we like the look of but I just want to get a bit more insight into the line.

I've read a few reviews and the main one on here and the only thing really causing me to hold off a bit is in relation to the formal nights. I don't mind getting into a suit and tie for the night in fact its a nice change but I'm certainly not a full on dinner suit and black tie kind of person either. I've heard some say they don't do this and some that say they do so I was hoping some on here would be able to set me straight please on this and the general dress codes around the ship. Also if there is a kids club on board as well.

Many Thanks

Brad

You could wear a suit rather than a DJ but you would be only one of a handful of people doing so and could feel out of place.

My dad wore a suit and he did not feel out of place. There is no reason not to wear a bow tie with a suit if you like. We were concerned about formal nights and thought of skipping but in the end really enjoyed it.

Hi...if it is a 7 night cruise you will have two formal nights. It will be acceptable to wear a suit and tie but at least 95% will be wearing a DJ and you may find that if you decided to wear one you would enjoy doing so. So many people say that they don't fancy the " full outfit" but try it and find that they enjoy the opportunity of being able to do so.

As regards the Children's Club it should be in full swing at the time of year you are considering.

There is lots of info on the P&O site about their children's clubs and the age ranges, but I would highly recommend them. They are very well organised, the staff are lovely, they do a nice variety of fun, age appropriate activities and the staff are very good at ensuring everyone is included or, if the child doesn't want to do the main organised activity, ensuring they are doing something they want to instead.

You have to sign the child in and out. If you/your child wants they can go the children's tea with the kids club. If your child goes to the club at night, they tend to settle them down on big cushions and put on a film for them to watch ready for winding down for the night.

We found the kids clubs to be excellent. The only problem we had was trying to persuade our daughters that they wanted to spend sometime with their parents! When you board there is a welcome pack for your child in the cabin with details of the activities, which group she will be in, registration etc.

As far as the formal nights go my husband was adamant when we booked our first P&O cruise that a tux was not going to happen. A bit closer to the date he decided to buy a cheap dinner suit just in case. Well he ended up wearing it and loved it. Secretly I reckon he feels like a bit of a James Bond when he is all dolled up!

For us joining in with the dressing up and being part of the evening makes for a fun time. It is special because it is so removed from our every day lives.

Anyway what ever you decide enjoy yourselves.

Julia

I would go for it, the Fjords are fantastic, usually you can't get the kids out of the kids club, and if the kids are happy the parents are happy. We do dress up for formal night as we feel it is part of what cruising is about, however that was not always the case, I used to wear a suit and tie for formal until we got hooked, you will not feel out of place. P&O are becoming less formal as more younger people and families are cruising.

Hi everyone,

I'm just wanting to get a bit of advice with regard to P&O cruises please. I'm from the UK and have only cruised twice and that was back in 2010 and 2011. The first was with NCL around the Med and the second was with Carnival down the coast of Mexico and LA.

My wife and I are interested in doing a cruise up the coast of Norway this year along with our 5 year old daughter. I've found a particular sailing on the Ventura on 28/07/2018 which we like the look of but I just want to get a bit more insight into the line.

I've read a few reviews and the main one on here and the only thing really causing me to hold off a bit is in relation to the formal nights. I don't mind getting into a suit and tie for the night in fact its a nice change but I'm certainly not a full on dinner suit and black tie kind of person either. I've heard some say they don't do this and some that say they do so I was hoping some on here would be able to set me straight please on this and the general dress codes around the ship. Also if there is a kids club on board as well.

Many Thanks

Brad

We have cruised 45 times 16 of them on P&O and have always wore a dark suit and never wore a dinner jacket.

There are men wearing kilts as well so don't worry and enjoy your cruise.

Quick tip, from many comments I’ve read, your biggest challenge will be finding a cruise in the Summer holidays that still has availability for your child’s age. Each cruise only has a maximum number of children allowed onboard, for each age range. It means if you’re booked you’re guaranteed a place in the kids club, but it’s also for safety (children’s life jackets, etc)

I’ve read that people book as soon as cruises are released, nearly 2yrs ahead, in order to get a cabin.

If not already, you may wish to check child availability for your 5yr old, on the cruise you have seen... you may be lucky...

Hi. Sorry don't agree that 95% will be wearing a DJ. We were recently on Oceana and I would say more like 60/40 (and that's 40% in a DJ). My husband always wears a dark suit and tie and HAS NEVER said he feels underdressed!

Hi. Sorry don't agree that 95% will be wearing a DJ. We were recently on Oceana and I would say more like 60/40 (and that's 40% in a DJ). My husband always wears a dark suit and tie and HAS NEVER said he feels underdressed!

That is my experience too.

Quick tip, from many comments I’ve read, your biggest challenge will be finding a cruise in the Summer holidays that still has availability for your child’s age. Each cruise only has a maximum number of children allowed onboard, for each age range. It means if you’re booked you’re guaranteed a place in the kids club, but it’s also for safety (children’s life jackets, etc)

I’ve read that people book as soon as cruises are released, nearly 2yrs ahead, in order to get a cabin.

If not already, you may wish to check child availability for your 5yr old, on the cruise you have seen... you may be lucky...

By booking so late, not only may child availability be gone, but so will the best cabins and first choice of dining options.

There is no way my OH would wear a dj , hasn't got one and isn't going to buy one. On our table of 8 last year , 2 out of the 4 men wore a shirt and tie and on one of the formal nights , we went to Sindhu and there were shirt and ties there. Don't worry what others think.

Sorry can't answer the kid's club question

Well I cruise quite a lot as you can see, in all my cruises I have found that 90% to 95% of men will wear a DJ. I would say that I have not done a fly cruise on Oceana.

Having said that some men do wear dark suits with a bow tie or a dress tie.

The gents in kilts do turn a few heads.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My dad wore a suit and he did not feel out of place. There is no reason not to wear a bow tie with a suit if you like.

That is great, but I did say it would depend on whether you might feel out of place rather than they would feel out of place.

Some people are concerned if they are at all out of the norm but others wouldn't give a damn.

The point was if 95% of people at an event are dressed in formal wear and you are in a lounge suit would *you* be uncomfortable?

That is great, but I did say it would depend on whether you might feel out of place rather than they would feel out of place.

Some people are concerned if they are at all out of the norm but others wouldn't give a damn.

The point was if 95% of people at an event are dressed in formal wear and you are in a lounge suit would *you* be uncomfortable?

Not me.

A dark suit is very smart1521202191244.thumb.jpg.d55efa68c24eb5217945de94aa9cc9a7.jpg

Hi everyone,

Many Thanks

Brad

the main thing you will get from these replies is that no one can 'set you straight' really as it is a personal thing. You will not feel out of place wearing a dark suit with a shirt and tie, but you may enjoy a DJ. Take a 'normal' suit for your first cruise as this seems to be how you would feel most comfortable (going by your original post) and see how you feel.

the main thing you will get from these replies is that no one can 'set you straight' really as it is a personal thing. You will not feel out of place wearing a dark suit with a shirt and tie, but you may enjoy a DJ. Take a 'normal' suit for your first cruise as this seems to be how you would feel most comfortable (going by your original post) and see how you feel.

They do hire out dinner jackets on board but really a dark suit and tie on formal night is fine.

If you wore jeans,trainers and vest top that would be a different matter altogether on formal night.

If your daughter does not want to go in the kids club just be prepared for the sea days with some portable games and toys etc. Our son (now 7) has been on several cruises and though he has tried the kids club he is adamant it is not for him. He still really looks forward to our cruises and we always manage to keep him occupied (with the help of grandparents). Card games are handy (they sell Top Trumps in the onboard shop) and we pack small board games in sandwich bags etc. (rather than taking the big boxes they come in). A portable DVD player is handy for the ride to Southampton and in the cabin if none of the films available on the TV appeal.

Our son didn't like the kids tea either but we've never had a problem taking him into the main dining room where the waiters have always spoiled him and given him extra attention. After dinner he enjoys the shows by the Headliners Theatre Company (obviously we relax the time to bed rules a bit on holiday). When there isn't a show we've tried some of the other musical acts which have been hit and miss (all a question of taste of course). Alternatively we've found a quiet place for a last drink and final quiet game before bedtime.

All the best

Damian

Not me.

A dark suit is very smart

It is smart (and at least it isn't the abomination of wearing a black bow tie with a lounge suit) but you would still stand out in a formal event where everyone one else is wearing formal wear.

If you don't mind being the odd one out that is great, but my point to the OP was if their travelling companion had a different view then they might want to rethink.