I tried something tonight

3boymom

I swear this tasted just like Chocolate Melting Cake.

Mix up store bought brownie batter and place the batter in equal parts in four coffee mugs (about halfway full). Place the mugs in a covered crockpot and cook for about 5 hours on high.

Even though it was a brownie mix, it came out the exact consistency as the Chocolate Melting Cake.

Let me go on record that the CMC is not my favorite dessert but my kids sure love it and they raved over this with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Even I liked it (probably because I made it).

I came across the recipe on a website and decided it looked interesting. I guess my crockpot is big enough for 4 mugs, I didn't have to stack them. I used some no-name organic brownie mix I got at Whole Foods.

I would love to know if anyone else has success with this. I know brands of mix and crockpots vary.

This can't be healthy. Brownie mixes typically contain 3 eggs and if the end product is just hot half cooked batter, doesn't sound like a good idea.

I dunno, it cooks for five hours. I would go by the temperature. Anyway, my mother never baked a cake where we three kids wouldn't lick the spoon and mixing bowl when she was done.

Question...

Did you put any liquid in the bottom of the crockpot?

Thanks,

Sheryl

That was going to be my question since crock pots are supposed to have some liquid in them which would steam the cakes and leave them moist. What I would have a problem is the center was actually liquid which would mean the eggs didn't set because they weren't cooked. Of course you can use egg beaters which are pasteurized and safe.

While a lot of people licked the bowl and beaters when they were kids, eggs are a lot less safe today than they were 30 years ago. They are so mass produced today that illnesses are a lot more common. We were never allowed to eat raw eggs because my father is a scientist (Ph.D) and he was very aware of the problems even in the 60's. My kids don't and I made my DH quit eating anything with raw eggs.

The pastureized eggs sound like the solution.

What you need to be concerned about with this recipe and the regular eggs is the fact that five hours of gentle warmth is a wonderful way to grow bacteria. Sure you've licked raw batter with no problem, but the amount of bacteria in the fresh eggs is nothing compared to what you will have after five hours of incubation.

Cooking on high in a crockpot is hot enough to boil liquid so I don't see it as an incubator. I would guess, with 2-3 inches of water in the bottom, it would cook faster, kind of how custard sets. Of course you can do something similar in the oven. Brownies are always soft in the middle anyway.

The pastureized eggs sound like the solution.

What you need to be concerned about with this recipe and the regular eggs is the fact that five hours of gentle warmth is a wonderful way to grow bacteria. Sure you've licked raw batter with no problem, but the amount of bacteria in the fresh eggs is nothing compared to what you will have after five hours of incubation.

Good point.

:D

Archived