Is Customs Clearance required in Fort Lauderdale?

f3red

In October we flew into IAD(Washington, DC). We had filled out our custom form on plane as directed by crew. In Dulles they had no one, (no stand, no people, no place), for customs. We just threw the form away later. We were surprised as we had arrived from Europe, so not surprised that cruise ports don't have it.

It sounds like you flew from an airport with a CBP pre-clearance center.

We just a week ago flew back from Europe via Charles DeGaul International where there was no pre-clearance or at least not one we went through. As we were descending for our landing in Atlanta the flight attendants came through the cabin handing out the customs declaration forms. The attendant that came down my aisle asked if I was a US citizen and when I said yes she said I didn’t need a form. My wife was surprised and actually got out of her seat and went to another attendant and asked about the form. Again she was told that it was not required for US citizens. Landed in Atlanta and went through Immigration and Customs and other than checking our passports we breezed right through. No questions about what we’d bought, etc., etc., and not even a box to throw the declaration form in even if we’d had one.

I haven't had to fill out a form for at least 2-3 years. Not sure how long it's been in effect for everyone since I use Global Entry. Prior to that the form was required. The pre-clearance comment was made because the poster said they flew internationally and never encountered passport control. Interestingly enough, the only time I am asked if I have anything to declare is if I cross a land border.

We will be on the Oosterdam Panama Canal cruise departing San Diego on 4 March 2018, arriving Fort Lauderdale 20 March. Will we have to clear Customs in Fort Lauderdale?

Will we be able to use Luggage Direct "Onboard Airline Check-In"?

Our port calls include: Mexico (2), Guatemala,Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Aruba, and Half Moon Cay.

Thanks for any advice and recent experience!

rfp

Just like any other cruise that makes stops at foreign ports you have to go through Customs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It did not happen last week after a 49 day cruise Atlantic Adventure.

We also came into Port Everglades on this cruise; we were asked at the passport check if we had anything to declare' date=' so we said no. Never did I see any information as to limits, restrictions or thresholds to tell us if we would have to declare anything. I thought it was strange but I guess it's the new way.

In August I arrived by plane from Australia and had to fill out a Declarations card, so the rules have changed since then.

FWIW: In Port Everglades we were in a late group disembarking (9:30), so after we gathered our luggage we went through the regular line for passport checks - not Global Entry - and it took us about 10 minutes or less. We got in the line at 10:07 and we were at the airport at 10:30 via shared van. Unfortunately our flight wasn't until 5:25pm so it was a long day at FLL.... [we had purchased an a ship tour/transfer for an Everglades air boat ride and airport drop to kill some time but shore excursions desk sent us work the day before we arrived that the contractor canceled. We looked at other options but because we'd been sick with colds we really didn't have the energy to do the mall.'] m--