some really bad reviews

cruzobsessed

going to elbow beach resort this august. periodically, i check trip advisor. i know to take all reviews with a grain of salt but the latest few are really not good at all. this trip is a surprise for my husband's 60th b'day. there is nothing that i can do now but i'd like to be prepared. has anyone been there lately? YIKES!!!

Bermuda is a beautiful island and we had a great vacation. That being said, we were disappointed to find that Elbow Beach lived up to the negative postings on this site. We had hoped that some people were being too picky. We stayed in a junior suite that was quite dingy. The hot water was bascially non-existant and the room was devoid of all charm and didn't look very clean. Housekeeping often didn't come until mid afternoon---right when our two year old was napping.

this was one from june 26th.....i'll show you another.

What is a shame is that we loved Bermuda, but we felt like we got a horrid deal on our hotel. We would have rather stayed in a cheaper hotel because in the end, the room was not what it was billed to be and the service was awful. I would not recommend Elbow Beach to someone going to Bermuda

the review stated that for "newly renovated" rooms it was not worth it.

so swizzle........do you need more or can you get the gist? are the accomodations horribly overpriced?

It sound like unfortunate experiences but I'm afraid for things like room quality . . .etc. I can't comment as I've never stayed there. I was asking in case the complaints were about the food or the beach as I might have been able to clarify things as I've eaten there (and been on the beach) a few times.

Generally hotels in Bermuda are $$$$ - it is an expensive island. This can create an expectation in a person who has booked a room. When you're paying $400-500 a night you have a certain expectation of quality but unfortunately a $400-a-night room in Bermuda will likely provide you with a hotel experience similar to a $250-a-night experience in the major US City. A guest could come away disappointed.

Sorry that I can't help you further on this.

swizzle you were a help.....you gave me perspective. i've never been to bermuda and when i had asked around....i was told that elbow beach was one of the nicest resorts and since it was just going to be my husband and myself this was the way to go. we are basically coming to see bermuda and the hotel is secondary. just got a little nervous when i read those negative reviews.

Hi...We just back from Bermuda...rented a spanking clean beautiful villa in South Hampton. From Sat.to Sat. it was about $2,000.00. (for four) It took a little more effort as far as food was concerned, but I just made 5 nights of dinner, froze them in advance and packed them in a cooler (with wheels!) The flight I found was under 500 dollars round trip. That was somewhat a pain...I wish I sprung for the direct flight. So, if you want, you can enjoy Bermuda with a little more effort and stay longer than the usual 3-4 nights. It turned out the villa was part of a home that was owned by one of the supreme court justices there, they had a bunch of "important" folks there for an event, the 100th celebration of Bermuda's court. Very interesting to say the least. If you are there for the beaches and don't mind preparing a meal ( how fun with a glass of wine while you take in the view) then rent a place from one of the locals. I had heard what is luxury to us in the states actually can be on the frumpy side there, but our place was absoutely beautiful!!! Great balcony views, large rooms and huge lawns where we went lizard hunting! Good Luck! Found the place on Bermudarentals.com

We just returned from a seven night cruise aboard Horizon and went to Elbow Beach to play tennis. The tennis courts and clubhouse were functional and had the usual ammenities expected stateside. The beach is private and soothing. We were impressed with the grounds and made our way to the hotel for a peek and to get a brochure. The common areas are pleasing to the eye, the front desk clerk was very friendly, there is a small arcade of shops on the main level and to get to the main center of town (Hamilton), it costs about $11.00. I am a very picky sort and would gladly stay at this resort, although we didn't see a room. If you do make way to Hamilton, try Harbourfront for lunch. We had a steak salad with arugula and mushrooms. It was soo good...I can still taste it. Great homemade desserts such as chocolate truffle cake with with warm caramel sauce and coconut ice cream.

Have a great trip!

i'm sure you've all been there.....have to choose a place either from friends opinions or the internet. everything LOOKS beautiful from the web sites....then you book it, go to trip advisor and BAM more negative then positive and it is too late to do something about it. i know that bermuda is gorgeous, i'm prepared to pay a lot for food, i just wanted to stay in a nice place on the beach. thanks for the mini review and i will definitely take your advice regarding the harborfront....it sounds delicious

Archived