Bed configuration - pullman

boa0007

We booked a balcony on Princess with a pullman bed for my daughter. Princess advised us that bed configurations with a pullman bed must be shown as twin beds. I was advised that once on board we could ask the room attendant to put the beds together.

We had previously cruised RCI with a pullman and had the beds configured together right from the start. I assume that this is a Princess policy.

What are the chances that Princess will not allow us to change the beds once we are on board? My husband and I certainly don't want to be sleeping in twin beds during the cruise but my daughter loved the 'bed in the ceiling'.

Should I switch to a cabin with a sofa bed or will they change the beds as requested?

Any experience with this?

Thanks

We booked a balcony on Princess with a pullman bed for my daughter. Princess advised us that bed configurations with a pullman bed must be shown as twin beds. I was advised that once on board we could ask the room attendant to put the beds together.

We had previously cruised RCI with a pullman and had the beds configured together right from the start. I assume that this is a Princess policy.

What are the chances that Princess will not allow us to change the beds once we are on board? My husband and I certainly don't want to be sleeping in twin beds during the cruise but my daughter loved the 'bed in the ceiling'.

Should I switch to a cabin with a sofa bed or will they change the beds as requested?

Any experience with this?

Thanks

Many have reported luck with getting the room steward to change the two bottom twins into a queen. But it does often limit access from the bed above which would mean that the upper bunk sleeper might have to step on you to get out of bed.

If you are interested in a mini suite, the set up for the 3rd (and 4th person) is shown in this picture and totally different then a balcony cabin. In a mini, the beds are on the other side of the room, so the sofa bed, or a pull down in a quad mini, are a perfect set up IMHO for those looking to make sure they have a queen configuration for the parents.

This picture was taken by a CC member and they have given me permission to post the link when others request it. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1290537902015325211uKRMuQ?vhost=travel

We are booked in a mini for the first time with 3. Our grandchild will use the sofa bed. However, Princess Rep, when booking, said the computer would not allow her to enter queen configuration when 3 are in this cabin! She also said just ask the steward when we get on. I feel this is a huge imposition for the steward at that time and wonder how many days this will take??????

We have had several cruises where we arrived at the cabin to find a twin setting. In all but one case the steward rearranged the beds when they did turndown the first evening.

Accessibility is another thing all together. We've never had a 3rd person in our cabin but the pullmans use a ladder to get in and out. If there's a bed where the ladder would be you would be left helping the daughter any time she needed up or down.

Charlie

The pullman ladder on RCI was able to be at the end of the pullman. My daughter was able to climb up the ladder from the side of the regular bed. It seemed to work ok but I wasn't sure whether these bed configurations are all the same on each ship.

Thanks for all the info and input. It is very much appreciated.

I don't believe that it is a "huge imposition" on the steward.

If he (she) is the least proficient, it should be accomplished in less than 15 minutes,

I have to agree that it is not an imposition at all. It's what the steward does.

Charlie

We are booked in a mini for the first time with 3. Our grandchild will use the sofa bed. However, Princess Rep, when booking, said the computer would not allow her to enter queen configuration when 3 are in this cabin! She also said just ask the steward when we get on. I feel this is a huge imposition for the steward at that time and wonder how many days this will take??????

I also travel with 3 in a room and this happens to me on every cruise - it's very easy. When I see the steward I let him know I'd prefer the beds in queen configuration. When I come back from dinner the first night, it's done.

Best,

Mia

We had a triple balcony with an upper berth on our last cruise and had intended to ask the steward to push the beds together, but when we got to the room, we decided to just live with the twins. (And it really wasn't so bad.)

If the beds are pushed together, then the ladder could be put at the foot of the bed. We tried the ladder in that position at one point, but it didn't sit on the rail as well, and it was harder for my daughter to get up and down because the bottom of the ladder ended up right against the wall. And then it also blocked access to the bathroom.

The other problem with pushing the lower bed away from the wall into a queen, as others pointed out, was that the berth would have ended up over that bed which would have made it a harder for its occupant to get out of bed because of the berth overhead. And one night my daughter kicked off the covers and they would have landed on top of us in the middle of the night instead of between the beds.

Another thought that crossed my mind was that the steward might have a hard time pulling the berth down every night and then making it up and putting it back in the morning with that queen in the way.

One advantage of the berth was that it freed up more floor space, and my 16 year-old daughter found it a lot more comfortable than a sofa bed that has folds in it.

If you really must have a queen, then a mini might be a better choice. We decided for the difference in price, we could deal with the twins, and we never felt cramped in the room.

Sue

Just sailed on the CB 7/28, 2 adults and 2 teens in a cabin. The twins were made into a queen the first night without us asking, and stayed that way throughtout the cruise. The ladder for the upper bed was at the foot of the bed.

I have sailed on both RCI and Princess with a Pullman. On RCI the Pullman

was over the top of the lower beds forming a "T" with the beds on Princess the pullman was over one of the twin beds (the way bunk beds normally look) We decided to leave the beds as twins it looked like it would be much more crowded and difficult to get around in the room (particularly in the dark!) if we reconfigured to the queen bed.

Lenore

Archived