Source:
Hawaiian Volcano Observatory

Notice Number:

Elevation:
4091 ft (1247 m)

Area:
Hawaii

Volcanic Activity Summary:
At about 0415 this morning, an explosion from the Overlook vent within Halemaumau crater at Kilauea Volcano's summit produced a volcanic cloud that reaches as high as 30,000 ft asl and drifted northeast. Continued emissions from the crater are reaching as high as 12,000 ft asl.

At any time, activity may again become more explosive, increasing the intensity of ash production and producing ballistic projectiles near the vent.

Resource on volcanic ash hazards:

Resource on vog:

Current NWS information on ashfall:

Recent Observations:

[Volcanic cloud height] up to 30,000 ft asl

[Other volcanic cloud information] Drifting generally northeast

Hazard Analysis:

[Ash cloud] The ashcloud is drifting downwind to the northeast.

[Ashfall] Ashfall has been reported in Volcanoes National Park, and may occur further downwind.

[Other hazards] Ballistic projectiles may be produced should steam-driven explosions occur. Impacts will be limited to an area around Halemaumau.

[Volcanic gas] Vog or volcanic air pollution produced by volcanic gas has been reported in Pahala.

Remarks:
Photos of this activity may be found here:

Contacts:

Next Notice:
Additional notices will be issued should activity change significantly.

Consult the National Weather Service for specific Ashfall notifications:http://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/

The Hawaiian Volcano Observatory is one of five volcano observatories within the U.S. Geological Survey and is responsible for monitoring volcanoes and earthquakes in Hawai`i.

I have a friend living in Hilo and she said the same as BigIslandCruiser (why didn’t I come up with a cool nickname!?). We are sailing on the Pride of America which leaves on May 30. From my friend’s report, there are a lot of beautiful places to see even if VNP is not open. Just hope they will stop there! My husband read in the paper that the current cruise did not! Wonder if we will know before we cruise?!

I have a friend living in Hilo and she said the same as BigIslandCruiser (why didn’t I come up with a cool nickname!?). We are sailing on the Pride of America which leaves on May 30. From my friend’s report, there are a lot of beautiful places to see even if VNP is not open. Just hope they will stop there! My husband read in the paper that the current cruise did not! Wonder if we will know before we cruise?!

Since there’s no way to know the conditions in advance it’s doubtful if you’ll have much advance notice because it’s basically a wait & see situation

This week POA replaced Hilo with a sea day and canceling Kona resulted in another day here on Maui.

There are many beautiful things to explore in the Hilo area that are not currently affected but the situation can change in a moments notice. Cruise lines make a risk analysis based on current & forecasted conditions & will undoubtedly err on the side of caution. They will not put thousands of passengers into any potentially harmful situation which currently describes the situation. Emergency workers are busy caring for locals & don’t need visitors added to their workload.

It’s having a detrimental effect on business on the Big Island as visitors cancel trips to Hawaii & not merely in the volcanic activity area. This has become a major story worldwide but the current volcanic activity has existed to varying degrees in that area since 1983.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Astro Flyer, the cruise lines I am almost certain don't want to put the 1,000's of passengers in a situation where they will be going in all different directions and end up where they shouldn't be and trying to get out. For them it is better to cancel the Port and stay longer at another one or substitute if possible.

Chris B yes it is. She lived there years ago, then moved up to Anchorage for about 20 years before returning to be close to her sons and grandchildren.

I think I know what your response may be but...would you be so kind as to expand on your comment? Thank you, Cherie

A lot of those that go on cruises are fearful people they don't process the information they get on TV very well and they're afraid of things were there it's going to Mexico or going to Belize or going to the big island in Hawaii. The cruise lines are in a position where they have to Pander to those people

geeko1, Thank you for helping me understand your comments. I have a son who has a ranch on the mauka side of Hwy 11 in Mountain View, about 15 miles from Kiluea Crater. I was fortunate to visit in April/May and after feeling the earthquakes on May 3 and 4 I am more respectful of the effects of what is going on near Kiluea at the moment. Many in the area are needing to take precautions to protect their water supply, livestock, etc. You have possibly also been in this area recently.

My son has also been involved in rescuing horses from the affected areas and taking care of them at the UH Hilo school farm. Wearing masks to protect from the toxic gas is a necessity when going into these areas. For those that this is affecting it is not business as usual. There are sooooo many other things to enjoy around Hilo but if the majority of cruise passengers may be affected by the volcanic activity I do not consider it pandering to a few, but using common sense. There are residents in the affected areas that would not leave their homes to save their souls, and there are those that would rather be safe than sorry. No wrong or right!

I accept your opinion that most of the population is overreacting and not able to think for themselves, but...I disagree with you. I wish you many wonderful trips to the Big Island of Hawaii. Cherie

There are residents in the affected areas that would not leave their homes to save their souls, and there are those that would rather be safe than sorry. No wrong or right!

There is absolutely wrong and right here- if you are told by authorities to evacuate, you do it. Plain and simple- no questions, no debate. Even if you are so stupid as to put your own life in danger by staying you have to think about the authorities who now have to put their own lives at risk to try and rescue you in the event of a disaster. Evacuation orders are given when there is enough time to safely leave an area without putting other people’s lives at risk. Ignoring orders is just selfish. Things can be replaced, people cannot.

There is absolutely wrong and right here- if you are told by authorities to evacuate, you do it. Plain and simple- no questions, no debate. Even if you are so stupid as to put your own life in danger by staying you have to think about the authorities who now have to put their own lives at risk to try and rescue you in the event of a disaster. Evacuation orders are given when there is enough time to safely leave an area without putting other people’s lives at risk. Ignoring orders is just selfish. Things can be replaced, people cannot.

Yes, to you and me there is a wrong and right. But to those who want to play chicken with Pele and don't care if they become victims that is not our decision. First responders, including the National Guard, in the affected areas of the current volcanic activity have told residents that after the mandatory evacuation orders have been issued NO first responders will come to their rescue, they WILL NOT risk their lives to rescue those who ignore the orders. So I do not feel that ignoring the orders is selfish, unless you are endangering children and animals. I don't think it is the right decision, but it's not my decision. I agree with everything you have said and first responders and those in authority in the area also agree with you and have explained their position to residents. Cherie

Edited by cccole

Your comment is not relevant to the situation at hand

geeko1, Thank you for helping me understand your comments. I have a son who has a ranch on the mauka side of Hwy 11 in Mountain View, about 15 miles from Kiluea Crater. I was fortunate to visit in April/May and after feeling the earthquakes on May 3 and 4 I am more respectful of the effects of what is going on near Kiluea at the moment. Many in the area are needing to take precautions to protect their water supply, livestock, etc. You have possibly also been in this area recently.

My son has also been involved in rescuing horses from the affected areas and taking care of them at the UH Hilo school farm. Wearing masks to protect from the toxic gas is a necessity when going into these areas. For those that this is affecting it is not business as usual. There are sooooo many other things to enjoy around Hilo but if the majority of cruise passengers may be affected by the volcanic activity I do not consider it pandering to a few, but using common sense. There are residents in the affected areas that would not leave their homes to save their souls, and there are those that would rather be safe than sorry. No wrong or right!

I accept your opinion that most of the population is overreacting and not able to think for themselves, but...I disagree with you. I wish you many wonderful trips to the Big Island of Hawaii. Cherie

Tourism to Hawai'i by air travel has not been interrupted by the eruption of the volcano but then those are a different type of tourist

Tourism to Hawai'i by air travel has not been interrupted by the eruption of the volcano but then those are a different type of tourist

And, I'm sure before you made this response you saw that new flight reservations to the Big Island of Hawaii are down 50% and Hawaiian Air has extended it's "no penalty" for changes to/from Hilo and Kona for flights that were already booked through May 31. I'm sure you have also researched the number of flights that are cancelled when volcanic activity causes a threat to the aircraft and passengers. I again accept your opinion but again disagree with your assumption that individuals who cruise in the Hawaiian islands lack gray matter between their ears!!! And again, I wish you many wonderful visits to the Big Island of Hawaii. Cherie

Edited by cccole

A lot of those that go on cruises are fearful people they don't process the information they get on TV very well and they're afraid of things were there it's going to Mexico or going to Belize or going to the big island in Hawaii. The cruise lines are in a position where they have to Pander to those people

Say what!?

GC

So...since I flew into and out of the island of Hawaii I am more intelligent than those who cruise? Wait 'til I tell my kids!!!! Mahalo!!! I don't know why the words hupo nui seem to apply to some of your posts. Oh well, again...wishing you many wonderful trips to the Big Island of Hawaii in the future. Cherie

I think it is the captains that are fearful which is to bad. It is safer to visit the Big Island than to be in high school if you have seen the news. No one has died here because of the current activity. They have enjoyed an amazing display of nature. And many have lost homes which is the sad result of some of the activity.

And while aircraft continue to fly in and would be most affected by ash which they have not been affected, why does a ship not come into Hilo port when they are 30 miles away from where the ash is generated or 20 miles away from the lava flows where the gases are produced. The captain is cheating the cruise passengers out of visiting our beautiful island.

I don't believe the captain is cheating the cruise passengers out of visiting the beautiful island. For one thing, Volcano's are highly unpredictable. That and they aren't making scheduling changes because of news accounts alone. They also listen to USGS and their warnings. It's sad for the local economy and people who have planned and paid dearly to see the island yes, but being safe has to come 1st.

Kilauea is a shield volcano. They are not explosive like Mount Saint Helens. Kilauea is one of 5 volcanoes on the island and the area being affected makes up 5% of the Island of Hawaii. Living 8 miles from the current flows the air quality is fine. Hilo is 20 miles away.

Our volcano has been erupting for over 30 years it just changed location further down the east rift zone and they have closed off the areas they consider unsafe including the Volcano Park. The rest of the island is fine. When that gets out eventually life will return to normal. Normal here is living with an active volcano. If one is afraid of active volcanoes then they should not visit the Big Island.

It surprises me how nasty some of the reply's are. Those who cruise are cowards and how we shouldn't visit if we are scared of volcano's. When people can't be civil talking about Volcano's of all things, no wonder there is such strife in the world. SMH :loudcry:

I don't believe the captain is cheating the cruise passengers out of visiting the beautiful island. For one thing, Volcano's are highly unpredictable. That and they aren't making scheduling changes because of news accounts alone. They also listen to USGS and their warnings. It's sad for the local economy and people who have planned and paid dearly to see the island yes, but being safe has to come 1st.

There is absolutely nothing unsafe about the island of Hawai'i

BigIslandCruiser, Glad to hear that you are okay. I have heard the same from some friends on the island. The big problem is the diversion of cruise ships and the visitors canceling plans on the island.:)

The USGS, HVNP and associate groups gave a live update on Facebook at 1:00 PM today (Saturday) that is excellent. (You can find it on the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Facebook page. Use headphones or earbuds to listen because the audio is very low.) The NPS rangers fron HVNP are in Hilo at the marine discovery center giving talks and answering questions. There are a few areas of the HVNP away from Kiluaea that are open, as well as the national historical parks on the west side of the island. We need to get the word out that the Big Island is open for business! (y)

NCL’s PoA is staying overnight in Honolulu tonight then to Kahului, Maui on Monday (overnight) then anchoring at Lahaina the next day then as usual to Kauai.

BigIslandCruiser, Glad to hear that you are okay. I have heard the same from some friends on the island. The big problem is the diversion of cruise ships and the visitors canceling plans on the island.:)

The USGS, HVNP and associate groups gave a live update on Facebook at 1:00 PM today (Saturday) that is excellent. (You can find it on the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park Facebook page. Use headphones or earbuds to listen because the audio is very low.) The NPS rangers fron HVNP are in Hilo at the marine discovery center giving talks and answering questions. There are a few areas of the HVNP away from Kiluaea that are open, as well as the national historical parks on the west side of the island. We need to get the word out that the Big Island is open for business! (y)

NCL’s PoA is staying overnight in Honolulu tonight then to Kahului, Maui on Monday (overnight) then anchoring at Lahaina the next day then as usual to Kauai.

Does anyone know why they would not go to Maui as usual on Sunday & Monday?