NCL says Cuba visa bought thru NCL means only NCL Tours?

numberguy

Hey all!

Hubby got a new job, and to celebrate, he decided to go to Cuba without me. :mad:

He purchased it last minute today, leaving next Monday. He and the friend going with him have done all the paperwork, completed the visa application, everything is lined up. But NCL told him something that I question, so I'm coming to the font of all cruising knowledge to verify:

He was told that since he bought the visa through NCL, he could only take NCL tours and not arrange tours on his own.:confused:

I've done some CC research, and I know that the NCL tours are considered OFAC-compliant, and that Americans are not allowed to do touristy stuff in Cuba. Is the above statement by NCL to keep him out of trouble for possibly planning a non-OFAC-compliant tour and getting in trouble, or are they just trying to drum up business for their own tours?

Not sure if things changed recently because of the President's new rules vis-a-vis Cuba, so that's why I'm asking. Any and all experiences welcome. Thanks!

--Michael

Hey all!

Not sure if things changed recently because of the President's new rules vis-a-vis Cuba, so that's why I'm asking. Any and all experiences welcome. Thanks!

Nothing to do with the President's planned policy change. Under the new policy (to be implemented), people would not be allowed off the ship unless they were part of an licensed tour group.No individual touristing.

Check out the many reviews from people who bought the visa via NCL and took private tours.

New "rules" haven't been written yet. They will still need to document their educational exchange activities to comply with their people to people certification.

One advantage to an NCL tour is priority disembarkation on day 1 in Havana.

Since the ship leaves at Noon on day 2 on the July 10 cruise, probably no NCL tours are offered - maybe that's why they are trying to drum up business for the 1st day?

Check out the many reviews from people who bought the visa via NCL and took private tours.

New "rules" haven't been written yet. They will still need to document their educational exchange activities to comply with their people to people certification.

One advantage to an NCL tour is priority disembarkation on day 1 in Havana.

Since the ship leaves at Noon on day 2 on the July 10 cruise, probably no NCL tours are offered - maybe that's why they are trying to drum up business for the 1st day?

Trying to develop a captured market for their own shore excursions.

Trying to develop a captured market for their own shore excursions.

I would have to disagree. What people did before really does not matter today. Some of the rules are the same but were not enforced. After Trump made the announcement some of the rules are being enforced again.

As a US citizen Cuba is the one place I would stick with NCL excursions. Better to have fun and not worry about it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Hey all!

Hubby got a new job, and to celebrate, he decided to go to Cuba without me. :mad:

--Michael

And no one has latched onto the opening sentence? He's celebrating his new job by going on a trip with someone else and not you? And yet you are still doing homework after posting a sad face...Hmmm....

• 2 weeks later...
And no one has latched onto the opening sentence? He's celebrating his new job by going on a trip with someone else and not you? And yet you are still doing homework after posting a sad face...Hmmm....

Well, I just started a new job and don't have enough leave built up to go with him. And the friend who accompanied him is a great friend of ours. Nothing untoward, I assure you. Hubby used to get a lot more leave than I did, so I am used to him jetting off places without me.

And the sad face was for effect, not true feelings.

--Michael

We were just on the Sky July 3-7. We did a couple of excursions, but we also went off the ship by ourselves sometimes-the most important reason being that their excursion to the Tropicana was twice as much as I paid to go there myself. I just checked NCL's website and it doesn't show anything about this new rule the OP was told about. The faq page about cuba still says you can do stuff by yourself: "guests are free to create their own itinerary and to determine what full time constitutes, which may or may not include excursions offered by Norwegian Cruise Line.". Here's the link:

https://www.ncl.com/faq#cuba-travel

If they have changed their rules it's either NCL trying to make extra bucks forcing you to go on their excursions or else it's a preemptive strike anticipating a change by the US govt. The state dept and treasury dept have not announced what the new requirements are going to be yet. In any case, I would call them and refer them to their own website. Good luck.