Alaska in September on Pearl???

Tazzybear

Going for the first ime on NCL. Always been Loyal to Royal but thought I needed a change.

Am I going to freeze to death :D in Alaska in September? I would love any feedback on what to pack and feedback on the Pearl.

Thanks!!!

September is could be cold, probably in the 50s. Prepare for some rain too. Pack clothes that you usually use with that temp, or lower at night, as each on has their own tolerances for cold temps. Of course, weather is unpredictable. We bring jackets with hoods and sweater.

I am also going to Alaska in Sept....on another line.....we did Alaska late July last year and had terrible weather, hoping this time will be better. ....

I live in the Northwest and some years September has awesome weather. I am packing layers and a nice light packable down jacket with a hood gloves and good waterproof shoes.

If you are going to Glacier Bay you will be wearing all your clothes, it's COLD there as evidenced by all that ice.

The Pearl is a great ship, we did the Panama Canal on her last October.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

Hit or miss really. Probably a bit cooler. Plan for cool and wet and you may be surprised. Note that as the days go shorter, less daylight =cool nights. Victoria will be dark by 9 in September which is a shame as it's a lovely city. Get out early and enjoy

Sent from my SM-G903W using Forums mobile app

But the inner harbour and Legislature

look pretty good at night

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

Average temperatures are cooler, and the chance of rain goes up. But we've had some great weather in Alaska in September, and the Fall colors are gorgeous. Pack layers and rain gear and hope for the best.

Two years ago I was on the Pearl in early September. First day was nice, last day was nice, the rest was cool and rainy. Glacier Bay was cold rainy and very low clouds. ☹️

Dress in layers and pack gloves, warm head gear and wet weather gear. Still beautiful but I'd like to cruise Alaska again in July or August to see what we missed out on.

Our Alaska cruise was the second week of September, I packed layers, rain/wind breaker type jackets and water proof boots which all came in very handy.

Our September weather was unusually warm and sunny the first half of the cruise and the second half was cool and rainy, Skagway we hiked in jeans and short sleeved shirts but Ketchikan was cool and drizzle all day.

I packed jeans and and short and long sleeved shirts, days on board everyone was in jeans and sweatshirts

one pair of slacks and a sweater for dinners

I bought sweatshirts as souvenirs in my ports of call which came in handy

water proof hiking boots were a huge help, feet stayed dry!

Medium weight wind and rain breaker with a hood

I did not bring a winter coat but I did bring hat, gloves and scarf for the Glacier Bay, I wore all of my layers plus the cabin housecoat but this was the only time I was cold, the rest of our cruise was cool and sometimes damp but not cold.

Do bring binoculars for each person so you don't have to share, there is constant scenery and animal sightings from the deck and you don't want to miss an opportunity to see them!

Have fun!

It really depends on the year, we have done AK three times twice mid-August once 1st of September. Had great weather all three trips - no rain- but the middle of August trip did have fog in the inside passage. Key to Alaska is to layer and bring a water proof jacket just in case.

We are going to Alaska , again, on the September 17th sailing of the Pearl. We love the Pearl and look forward to see the changes from the dry dock this year.

We have cruised Alaska many times , usually late August and September. This will be the latest in September we have cruised, but the new itinerary for this one got us excited .

We have had all kinds of weather.

The Fall can be the best weather as summer does not really start until August, in Alaska. In Seattle, we don't really have summer until after July 5th. Victoria is usually 70's. Makes for a very nice evening. (bring cash to pay for bus into town) Others may know what the rate is now.

As others have posted, be prepared with layers. Hat, gloves , binoculars and thermal mugs a must for Glacier Bay. It is always freezing cold out. We have never had rain at the Marjorie glacier. It usually starts in the early morning and then lifts.

Evening dress is very casual also . Slacks, sweater or nice top and fancy flats for me. Hubby has slacks, shirt with sweater over and loafers .

I am leaving on the 9th of September for an Alaskan cruise on The Jewel. The weather for the whole trip should be very comfortable. Toward the end of September, the Alaskan weather could get pretty rough.

Very much looking forward to it.

I was on the Pearl over the 4th of July week. Glacier Bay was not that cold to me - I had on a turtleneck and a thin jacket (think exercise/running jacket) as I thought my fleece would be too warm. I got cool at one point, but just put on a hat and I was fine. I brought long johns, but didn't bother putting them on (as I thought I might be warm, and could always go back to the room).

I hardly ever wear shoes and socks (even in the winter - I love my Naot clogs). But will say I was incredibly grateful I brought along and wore my new hiking boots (appropriately broken in weeks before of course) and appropriate sockets for them. Came in handy, especially in Juneau when we hit low clouds and rain. Although I was happy to have my long rain jacket in Juneau, I think I would go with a more packable "shell" type of windbreaker that my sweatshirt or fleece could fit over next time.

So, short answer is layers, layers, layers - as thin as you can get unless it is a sweatshirt or fleece (and keep those to one or two)

I am leaving on the 9th of September for an Alaskan cruise on The Jewel. The weather for the whole trip should be very comfortable. Toward the end of September, the Alaskan weather could get pretty rough.

I am on the SUN 9/25 closing out the season - don't leave a mess for me to clean up.

Will try an have all dem icy berg things positioned for the spring of 2018; dem fishy

creatures ready to perform and the bears sequestered for their winter sleep,

Now as for those birds (mosquitos) with the blood sucking hypodermic needle hope

that there will be a cure by then maybe an attack with repelling drones !

May you be blessed with great weather to end the season on a high note but leave some for me !

I will be getting off the Jewel the same day you are getting on the Jewel. I always book Alaskan cruises for September...love the weather.

We were in Alaska in September. We only had one day of rain. Most of the days were cool- heavy sweatshirt or jacket weather. Layers are the best as the temperature varied significantly throughout the day. It got very cold when we cruised passed the glaciers so prepare for that.

I was told waters could be really rough so bring seasick meds

Also for glacier viewing gloves, hat , scarf with jacket ...buy them there they are very warm ..jackets that is

Spray your shoes to water proof them

Do not miss whale eat hing in Auke bay off Juneau

Go to Yukon from Skagway ...gorgeous

Get coupon books at port ....loads of stuff given in all stores in Alaska

Buy ULu knife ..love mine

Eat fresh salmon ..yummy

You will love it ..I sure did

OP is from Iowa, it wil likely be like fall at home for the OP.

I am just next door (north) - weather in the upper Midwest is still likely to be late summer,

Fall (autumn) doesn't kick in until October and then perhaps could be called Indian Summer.

It isn't till a few days before Thanksgiving that we pull the Thanks out of that event and

start to buckle down into the threshold of the approaching winter storms .

But as of the recent past years with the Russkies playing with weather (and elections) have

the tables turned on predictable weather. Some golf courses have been open all of a few

days shy of 365 (Seasonal Rules apply - grounding of the clubs in snow banks not permitted)

The clue here to mastering the weather is to layer up. To be able to add or remove clothing

to suit the weather with the outmost layer being wind and moisture proof.

Cruises to Alaska are not your usual fare of warm sun blessed Caribbean or Mediterranean types.

So what to pack - well definitely not beach wear (unless using a spa).

If traveling by air to and from the ship keep the weight down or pack a wad of cash for charges.

Weight limits generally are 50 # per piece - have carry on bag - plan and moving overweight

stuff from your checked baggage to the carry on or oddly wearing it - if you persist on taking

the kitchen sink along.

Gloves you don't need unless you have sensitive digits.

If bringing them along they do not have to be thermal lined unless you want to make snow balls with glacier ice.

Make sure that you have the dexterity to use the shutter release on a camera - get the picture !

It is not likely to be snowing yet if at all along the Pacific Inside Passageway coast so ditch the parkas rainy

heck Yes that is possible and as one poster noted fog that too is possible - but don't expect horizontal monsoons.

What is hard to contend with and predict is the WIND - a normal breeze may take a few degrees off of the

ambient temperature but increase the velocity and more laying is necessary until by golly maybe you should

be inside shelter and quit flirting with nature. Look and plan what you can out of a weather forecast.

Most any kind of jeans or pants should be sufficient - shorts - skirts and the alike if you are acclimated

to cool weather (the legs need the least of protection especially if active).

A "T" shirt layered with a long sleeve shirt adding a sweat shirt as necessary then the light weight

wind/moisture proof jacket should be the base layer and work for just about all that the cruise and

SX will offer - of course YMMV depending on your acclimation level.

Closed toe footwear highly recommended - sneakers OK - flip-flops give me a break here this is as

previously noted not a beach cruise. SXs going to a beach maybe near a glacier tidal pool this is not

like a Cay in the Caribbean (think of fire and ice - the ships spa and the tidal pool).

Brellies (Umbrellas) are nice out in open spaces but nothing but trouble in confined areas.

Wear a wind and moisture proof jacket or perhaps think of a poncho - unless you are a kid you are

not likely to pouncing around in a puddle and going for the maximum wetness factor - seek shelter and stay dry.

Hats whatever works for you - a baseball - wide brim - something that stays on your head while underway.

I mentioned the kitchen sink previously - well skip that - I take it with me and leave you to ponder what

actually your should wear - readers here at CC have a whole bunch of ideas - read on - - -

My wife and I sailed the Jewel last Labor Day Weekend. The weather was great, Seattle was 78f when we left. Both sea days were 68-70 for the high, high 50's for the lows. In Alaska it was a little damp and cool, never cold. Victoria was great, 72 and sunny