I MUST DECIDE!! Help!!

RebelAthena

Hello, cruise strangers! I don't know you -- wait, you kind of look familiar?! -- but I value your thoughts, so here goes (TLDR, I know) :

I am sailing with my parents for my 40th birthday in early 2018 on NCL (it's so difficult to economically sail with three), and we've narrowed the field to three options (all have the same port stops):

-DOS on the Dawn

-H7 (forward-facing penthouse suite) on the Getaway

-Mini-suite x 2 on the Getaway

The Dawn is the closest drive (6.5 hours) and has the nicest accomodations; however, the ship looks relatively boring, and we would have no balcony (and the ship has no VIBE or Haven areas).

--FIRST QUESTION: Is the Dawn really boring? In comparison to the Getaway -- which has mini-golf, ropes courses, cirque-like shows, and water slides -- I feel like there isn't much to do.

The Getaway looks like an amazing ship, but it will require a 10-hour drive (I've explored flying, more on that later). The H7 is small (requiring us to share a bathroom), but with the Haven amenities, I think it would be fine. A Haven room with an extra bathroom/ bedroom will easily run over 1K more than we want to spend. (Note here: the DOS on the Dawn and the H7 on the Getaway are within $100 in price, though the DOS includes more OBC (and the bar set up in the DOS would compensate for the lack of a third beverage package)).

-- SECOND QUESTION: I need to be satisfied with my room choice, but how good are the odds of securing an upgraded Haven cabin at a discounted price? (I've scoured the boards, and I can't get a feel for my chances, even with a solid bid).

Finally, I've looked at two mini-suites for three reasons: more room, applying 2x CruiseNext Deposits to each room, and getting the most bang for our "free at sea" options (i.e., a free-at-sea package for each _room_). To compensate for the loss of Haven, I would do my best to secure VIBE passes, we would get some extra specialty dining, and I might get some spa passes (also, with the cost difference, we could likely fly).

-THIRD QUESTION: The mini-suite option makes the most sense, but I'm hung up on the idea of "The Haven" (cue awe-inspiring angelic choir sound). Can you unhang me and tell me to get my head out of the clouds? Can you convince me that The Haven is a scurge on cruising humanity?!

I get that the decision here is subjective, but I've stared at this for tooooo long, and I'd like to book on Monday. I would value insight.

All the details in your tl;dr post leads me to believe you and your group require constant attention, entertainment and stimulation. You need to go to a circus, zip around on ropes, climb things, slide on things and watch things constantly, or you will be "bored" -- pick the Getaway.

As for securing upgrades -- don't ever bet on it. Book the room you want now. Watch for price drops before final payment. Do not bet on the upgrade system to land you where you want to be. It's your vacation. Book what you want.

As for the Haven -- the Dawn will take your Haven-having-head out of the clouds, since it doesn't have a Haven. The Dawn was recently refreshed and is a fine ship. Check out this review by Doug for more on Dawn...

Dawn - Live 11/27

Final answer? Book the H7 on Getaway and be done with it.

What is the price gap between the H7 vs H6 for your cruise?

The H6 will give a 2nd full bath (one is small but usable) and a much larger balcony.

My vote is H6, then H7.

The H6 is such a great room, but, at best, the pre-tax/fee difference between to two categories is $1200 (H6 $2266/pp vs. H7 $1866/pp). On the week we are looking at the difference $2K.

Two mini-suites because the other options involve sharing a room with parents, which... no thank you. I love my parents, but that would be a hard pass for me on vacation.

An excellent consideration! I'll have to chew on that.

What is the price gap between the H7 vs H6 for your cruise?

The H6 will give a 2nd full bath (one is small but usable) and a much larger balcony.

My vote is H6, then H7.

My hope is that I can win an upgrade to the H6, though I have no expectation of it.

IF you can afford to book a Haven suite then I don't see how difficult any of these choices can be....other than wanting your own space and lots of things to do. We sailed on Dawn and never felt bored but then again we do not like every minute of our day filled with activity either. So I think all of this is way too much for anyone else but you to figure out. If it were me....I'd go for 2 mini suites on any of those ships.

My pick would not be the 2 minis.

Also, if you are looking at the Dawn and want your own bedroom you have to pick one of the two inner DOS, not the outer although the outer DOS are a better room IMO.

Any time you can get a Havens room, do it.

Recommendation: The H7 is nice because the separate livingroom providing some privacy and separation. Only one bathroom. And it's the second cheapest Havens room on the ship. We had an H7 last May.

In you don't like the Havens price tag, pick two balconies. The minisuite room is exactly the same size as the balcony room. The only difference is a bigger bathroom.

Don't even consider basing a choice on an upgrade.

I believe if you go with the two mini's you would also have to pay the single supplement for one of the cabins.

Just wanted to make sure you knew this and figured that into your calculations.

Yup -- This is another down side of getting two rooms: I'm paying for 4 people, but getting the benefits for only 3. :rolleyes:

My pick would not be the 2 minis.

Also, if you are looking at the Dawn and want your own bedroom you have to pick one of the two inner DOS, not the outer although the outer DOS are a better room IMO.

YES! The one-bedroom outside cabins have that wall of windows (so incredible!), but those rooms only have one bed/one bath; if we sail the Dawn, it will be the 2/2 version at the nose of the ship.

Any time you can get a Havens room, do it.

Recommendation: The H7 is nice because the separate livingroom providing some privacy and separation. Only one bathroom. And it's the second cheapest Havens room on the ship. We had an H7 last May.

In you don't like the Havens price tag, pick two balconies. The minisuite room is exactly the same size as the balcony room. The only difference is a bigger bathroom.

Don't even consider basing a choice on an upgrade.

Yes -- I'm trying really hard to keep the idea of an upgrade outside the scope of my consideration. I'm really leaning towards the H7. I would go with the mini suites because (1) they are essentially the same price as a balcony right now (especially when you factor in the additional OBC) and (2) because I would want at least one mini suite with the large balcony.

Not all mini suites have a large balcony. Are you sure that there are any mini suites w/large balcony available?

I've been specifically looking at the MSLB, and NCL website shows a number of rooms still available in that class.

I'd still go Haven but if you decide to take the M6 and something else, jump on the M6 quickly.

The consensus seems to be Haven, and I think that I'll book the H7. If I get an H6 upgrade, I'll jump on it; if not, I think I'll be happy in the H7.