Just Back from Anthem May 17-26- About the matress

this post is only about the matress.

Cabin 10572. Same Cabin as May 2017. Matress was fine last year, and room location was great, so we booked the same room.

Matress really took a beating over the last year. Woke up middle of every night in pain, and neither one of us ever got a good nights sleep.

We did NOT say anything about it while onboard. and we had a reason that we decided not to.

On a previous Princess cruise, we had the matress from Heck..... It was a 7 night cruise and we complained day 1. they tried this and that, toppers and boards, but the matress was too far gone and they had NO matress they could replace it with. We spent HOURS in guest services begging for them to do something and they just had nothing to offer. So not only were we in pain and tired, but also very frustrated from wasting so much time with guest services for nothing. (I did contact Princess when we got home and they did compensate us)

So I didn't want to go down that road again. this matress was NOT as bad as the one on Princess. I just didn't think they would have a solution and I didn't want to waste the time.

Otherwise the cruise was very good. The cabin girl Ricanita was wonderful. We did not tell her about the bed.

But I did let Royal know the bed was bad when I got home. Don't expect anything from them, just wanted to let them know so they would schedule maintenance on it soon.

I booked 11572 for September and hope for the best. Same location, 1 floor higher.

Realistically, these matress do take a beating. I would love to know how they decide when to replace a matress. Actually how any hotel manages that.

We stay at the Borgata alot, and sometimes the matress is heavenly, and other times, the other direction!

Its just a crap shoot what you get.

You didn't want to spend hours (come on now, hours, LOL!) complaining to guest services to get something done about your mattress. And to make matters worse you had a wonderful stateroom steward that you really liked but didn't say anything to her????? She could've done things to assist you and it certainly would not have taken hours. Instead you wait until you are off the ship & complain here & to Royal over the phone.

What!!:') Oh my goodness. Yep, makes perfect sense, hahahahaha!!!:')

When you have an issue that requires attention, the time to have it handled properly is right then & there while ON THE SHIP.

:eek: :eek:

Edited by ObstructedView2

Uggggg....yeah bad mattresses are not fun. We had a truly horrific one on the Star Princess last year - two mattress toppers later only managed to make it somewhat bearable. But, I really don't understand why you wouldn't have mentioned it to your steward. If the bed was not as bad as Princess it's very possible that a topper would have helped a lot and saved you some pain and loss of sleep. I certainly would have thought it worth a try.

I didn't post to complain, I posted so if someone searches on this cabin they will have a heads up about the matress.

I thought that is what these boards are for. To share information with others that might be helpful.

And yes, I DID spend hours with guest services. On hold on the phone, while they were assiting other guests, and waiting in line at guest services multiple times/days to find a resolution to the problem.

It is sad that someone that wasn't there would assume they knew better than the person that actually had the experience.

With all these posts about mattresses, surely Royal are looking into this? Having comfort when you sleep is pre requisite for a holiday, and more important to me than any drinks package, tours, shows etc. Am going on Anthem soon and spending far too much time worrying about the bed when I should be getting excited! :(

With all these posts about mattresses, surely Royal are looking into this? Having comfort when you sleep is pre requisite for a holiday, and more important to me than any drinks package, tours, shows etc. Am going on Anthem soon and spending far too much time worrying about the bed when I should be getting excited! :(

They really did have issue with Too Firm couple years ago. They went threw ship by ship and replaced all of them 18 months ago. Was on 2 cruises that they replaced all mattresses over 2 week period. Now they are still firm but not hard. But still some get worn, they replace those one for one as needed...or not.

We brought our own Mattress toppers on the Anthem in January. They no longer have them. $12 for a twin ensured a good night sleep. Their mattress are really bad.

Where did you buy your mattress topper?

We were just on Navigator. I emailed RCCL and was PROMISED a mattress topper, but when we got to the room was told they don't have them anymore. They couldn't be cleaned, etc. In the meantime someone had recommended these from Amazon....I purchased them and I cannot tell you how much I was so thankful for them! The bed was rock hard and hurt my joints so badly without these mattresses. And they are great to travel with. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BZ3C900/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We were just on Navigator. I emailed RCCL and was PROMISED a mattress topper, but when we got to the room was told they don't have them anymore. They couldn't be cleaned, etc. In the meantime someone had recommended these from Amazon....I purchased them and I cannot tell you how much I was so thankful for them! The bed was rock hard and hurt my joints so badly without these mattresses. And they are great to travel with. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BZ3C900/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Crazy that we need to shop for stuff for a luxury holiday just so we are comfortable- its a cruise not camping! :eek: Come on RCL! Lets gets some pillow top mattresses on order please!

• 1 month later...

Agree, mattresses on anthem are much firmer then I like, however, our wonderful cabin steward added a mattress topper or something to our bed day 2 and it helped. JS advertise pillow top mattress and that is not what we found. Better now with whatever Wilbur did.

Agree, mattresses on anthem are much firmer then I like, however, our wonderful cabin steward added a mattress topper or something to our bed day 2 and it helped. JS advertise pillow top mattress and that is not what we found. Better now with whatever Wilbur did.

We booked JS on Anthem for the advertised mattress and found them extremely hard about 2 years ago. Good to hear they have changed them out. We tried addressing it onboard but there is only so much they can do. On recent AD bed was firm but not as hard as the ones they had on Anthem.

I will say one of the only things we liked better about our Disney Cruise was the mattress so much so that I wanted to take it home with me. I tried to find out how to order it and everything. Best nights sleep every. RCI needs to order those for all their beds!

I plan to take a topper of my own next cruise, and that will help with a bed that is too hard, but I still have no idea what I can bring to improve a matress with a severe sag and no back support in the middle of the matress.

I have the Klymit Static V linked above and take it on all of my cruises. Great insurance against a bad mattress and no toppers available.

Can someone comment on how these inflate? I looked online but I'm not seeing how that works. At 1 lb it's lightweight and probably easy to bring along.

Really hoping Royal see this and just provide a lovely comfortable mattress! JS is advertised as having pillow topped mattress, I really dont see why we should pay out for blow up things for a holiday on a cruise? The only inflatable item I want to take is a mini paddling pool for a foot spa on my balcony! :')

We booked JS on Anthem for the advertised mattress and found them extremely hard about 2 years ago. Good to hear they have changed them out. We tried addressing it onboard but there is only so much they can do. On recent AD bed was firm but not as hard as the ones they had on Anthem.
Was just on the Anthem, and the beds are still hard. Royal got rid of foam toppers due to bed bugs. Our room Stewart created a topper for us using a couple comforters, bed was still to hard, but better than before.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Can someone comment on how these inflate? I looked online but I'm not seeing how that works. At 1 lb it's lightweight and probably easy to bring along.

You just blow it up. There are two widths: one is narrower and probably meant to fit into a sleeping bag. The other one is wider and probably more comfortable for a twin bed. We have one and it works well.