Santorini morning cable car queues

AJCM

We'll be there in late July. Can anyone give an indication of how long we may have to queue to ride the cable car to the top. I suspect, it may be too long and we'd be better off doing a ship excursion, which involves going to the other tender point on the island. I'm not concerned at the return trip - I know that we'll most likely be walking down the donkey path.

We arrive at 8.00am, along with 4,300 from 2 other ships; with 2,400 on another ship having arrived at 7.00am.:confused:

Santorini was the only port where every ship has to tender. And not only must you tender into the small port, you then need to find a way to the top of the 700-foot cliff that greets you upon arrival. Of course, once you're up there, you also have to find a way down. You have four choices:

• Ride the cable car (€6 pp, one-way, 3 minutes after you've boarded). There are only two sets of cars (one going each direction) with six cars per set, each seating six passengers. Upside: quickest option, and they offer great views. Downside: can be scary, and the lines are known to reach over two hours (especially coming back down in the afternoon) since they can only service about 600 passengers in each direction per hour.
  • Walk the 588 steps (Free, about 15 to 25 minutes). I understand it's not as bad as it sounds as long as you watch your step and take it slow. There are lots of opportunities to rest. Upside: cost, exercise, and great photo opportunities. Downside: you're taking the exact same route as the donkeys, so you need to avoid the donkeys and their droppings.
  • Ride the donkeys (€5 pp, one-way, 10 to 15 minutes). There are dozens of healthy-looking donkeys and mules that allow you to ride in the old traditional way. Upside: it might be better than standing in a long line, or walking. Downside: can be frightening, uncomfortable, and you'll smell like the donkey you rode in on. (Our ship's cruise director vehemently discouraged passengers from riding the donkeys).
  • Take speedboat to Oia and bus back to Fira. (~€25 pp, one-way, over 60 minutes). Upside: avoids all of the above. Downside: might only be one way, takes a long time, is costly, and you still have to get down. This is really only a good option if all you want to do is visit Oia and Fira.

santorini-port.jpg

According to the ship's officers, the heaviest tender time was expected to be between 8:30 am and 11:00 am. At 7:00 am when the ship was cleared and caught the first tender to shore. We waited about 5 minutes to board the cable car.

If you can get off closer to 8:00 am, you might be in good shape.

More detailed hints and tips for 27 Mediterranean cities:

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/mediterranean-secrets.html

I will add to the options in post #2 above - take a ship's excursion which drops you at Athinios, the Old Port and from there you go directly to Oia and carry on with the tour. We did this and happened to be first off the ship at 7 am. It was glorious. We beat the crowds, did not have to contend with getting up to Fira (only down at the end of the day), and we had a blast. Our bus tour included a winery visit - that was fabulous! Check out your ship's tours to see if anything appeals to you.

Only other option is try to go when you think everyone else has left the ship.

In between the busy times but would be a little hard to figure with the other ships.

Don't know how late your ship stays but if late go in the afternoon when others

are coming back. You'll enjoy no matter what way you go.

I was lucky last time I went and this time going we're the only ship in port.

• 4 weeks later...

Only way to avoid cable car or walking down while returning is not to go to any part of main Thira island (People who have been Oia recently, sometimes prefer to take boat to the island in middle of the caldera. That trip goes either from/to shop or from/top tender port. But it is difficult for me to pass up visiting Oia - doesnt matter how many times I am there. You just end up doing different back streets. (actually more shady)