Rouen or Honfleur

saltshell

Honfleur by public transport is complicated and expensive - train to Le Havre and taxi from there. So altho I'm no fan of ships' tours IMHO that's the sensible option for Honfleur from Rouen if no-one on your RollCall is looking for sharers.

Honfleur has an attractive little fishing/tourist harbour. Popular for a lazy day for cruisers porting at nearby Le Havre.

But with 24 hours in port, are Rouen or Honfleur mebbe a wasted opportunity? :confused:

A direct train service to central Paris takes about an hour. An evening train and overnite in Paris? Or an early start next morning?

Or rent a car & drive to the Normandy coast that evening, overnite in one of the D-Day villages, next morning tour some of the D-Day sights & call into Honfleur for a beer on the way back. The only potential difficulty is collecting a car in the evening - you might have a long & potentially fruitless internet search for a rental agency that can accommodate an evening pick-up.

Or drive to Versailles or Chartres?

Just some thought.

JB :)

The Rouen Cathedral has a free spectacular light show every night in summer. Google it and see if it’s something you’re interested in. We enjoyed Rouen it has lots of shops and cafes and an interesting history.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

After weighing my options, I decided to go to Honfleur with the ship excursion. The scheduled departure time of 8:30 am should give me a couple of hours to ramble around Rouen on return. I would like to see the sound and light at the cathedral the night we arrive; any idea what time ?

With a 6pm departure you will not have an opportunity for the evening light show. In the summer the show time varies but is always after 10pm,

Hank

Hi Hank,

OP's arrival time is also 6pm - ie previous evening.

JB :)