Unfortunate encounter with pianist on viking star - did this happen to you too?

Gnoelj

Ok, say what you will about this pianist's ham-handed approach to selling his CDs, but we've been on Star for 2 weeks now and passengers love this guy. We were at afternoon tea today--last day for us and most others--and he got rousing applause from a big teatime crowd.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Ok, say what you will about this pianist's ham-handed approach to selling his CDs, but we've been on Star for 2 weeks now and passengers love this guy. We were at afternoon tea today--last day for us and most others--and he got rousing applause from a big teatime crowd.

How do you know it's the same person?

Because we've been on the Star since January 4th and are still on her now. That's how I know who the OP is talking about. ��

You got on the ship since Jan 4th.

However, that "incident" happened before that on a different and our cruise ENDED on Jan. 4th. We embarked on Dec 21st and disembarked on Jan 4th. You got on the ship the day we got off (Jan 4th). You were on a different cruise from the one we were on .So, how can you be so certain it is the same person? .

Supposing even if it is the same person as you claimed, does that mean that Viking did nothing about it? That would be so disappointing with Viking, especially when the receptionist expressed "concerned" about it.

Moreover, (even if that was the same person) , whether you like his piano playing or not is besides the point. It is not the piano playing which is at fault .

Maybe you will not feel it unless someone close to you was affected. Supposing you have a 83 year old frail mother cruising with you, and she was "targeted", you would be angry, wouldn't you?

Edited by Gnoelj

You got on the ship since Jan 4th.

However, that "incident" happened before that on a different and our cruise ENDED on Jan. 4th. We embarked on Dec 21st and disembarked on Jan 4th. You got on the ship the day we got off (Jan 4th). You were on a different cruise from the one we were on .So, how can you be so certain it is the same person? .

Supposing even if it is the same person as you claimed, does that mean that Viking did nothing about it? That would be so disappointing with Viking, especially when the receptionist expressed "concerned" about it.

Moreover, (even if that was the same person) , whether you like his piano playing or not is besides the point. It is not the piano playing which is at fault .

Maybe you will not feel it unless someone close to you was affected. Supposing you have a 83 year old frail mother cruising with you, and she was "targeted", you would be angry, wouldn't you?

Nope--would not be angry. If I felt my mother was too feeble-minded to say 'no, thank you', then I would not let her wander unsupervised.

I was onboard from 28th to 4th January. No such approach was made to me, nor did I hear anybody else mention it. I suspect that the pianist was told by Viking management to stop this practice and that was the end of it.

I thought the pianist was OK but I would actually prefer one who sang a little.

Poster handled it well. Other option would be to just give it back the guy when he asked for money.

I have no problem with CD being for sale. Some folks like them as cruise reminders or they really like the music. Totally fine.

The approach was wrong. For anyone that has traveled often to tourist areas, they have found out the hard way that taking something in your hand, even if "free", is part of a ploy to get you to buy things, or be distracted.

Insulting.

Not meant to be insulting at all.

I have cared for multiple family members, young and old, with varying degrees of mental and physical issues. Including dementia (Parkinsons and Alzheimers) and learning disabilities and emotional/mental issues.

If your travel companion/loved one is not capable of handling activities of daily living at home or on a trip---you have to make sure they are not left alone. It is your responsibility to handle things that they cannot handle. This can range from haggling with street vendors, negotiating taxi rides, and dealing with pianists on a cruise.

If they are not able to deal with these things by themselves than it is extremely cruel to let them try to handle on their own. That is insensitive and putting them in the position of being overwhelmed and frightened. That is cruel.

But we are digressing from the point of the thread.

I don't think the pianist was preying upon anyone's 83 year old Mom--unless I misinterpreted OP's original post.

OP refers to companion as he, not sure when grandma got involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I appreciate the ‘heads-up”. I am perfectly capable of saying no, but what is described is an unusual selling style. As a Brit, if someone pressed something into my hand and walked away, I would assume it was a free gift. If they then returned and told me it was €35, but there was no rush, I would have been taken-aback and it would be temporarily awkward. The OP warning means I, and any musician, won’t experience the awkwardness!

Personally, I appreciate the ‘heads-up”. I am perfectly capable of saying no, but what is described is an unusual selling style. As a Brit, if someone pressed something into my hand and walked away, I would assume it was a free gift. If they then returned and told me it was €35, but there was no rush, I would have been taken-aback and it would be temporarily awkward. The OP warning means I, and any musician, won’t experience the awkwardness!

Another option is to walk away saying thanks for the gift!!