Roundtrip Crossings

jaycruises

I was wondering if anyone has an idea of temperatures/weather on an eastbound crossing. We are sailing this 10th June. Will we need a jumper/light coat if wanting to walk on deck? I know the weather is extremely changeable from one June to another but a vague idea of what to pack for outdoors would be a great help. Thank you.

Haven't been in June, but HAVE crossed a few times in May. I think whenever you cross the North Atlantic, you'll want to prepare for brisk weather on deck. A light jacket or heavy sweater is always a good idea to pack. Realize that besides the weather conditions, you'll be moving at a good clip at 20+ knots.

We did our first [and second] crossings this past September - and enjoyed both crossings and both port days. As you can see from the sig, we have another round trip planned for our next cruise. We did not plan on having the National Symphony for the last cruise - but enjoyed it enough to make the Symphony a tier breaker when selecting the next round trip pair.

We too will be on the M929B crossing! Not going through Heathrow, stopping twice in Southampton, once in Hamburg and Lehavre (no driving, trains, time and hotels to see them!) and the National Symphony are the appeal for us! We enjoyed the QE2 one-way crossing and a Carribean cruise on the QM2. See you onboard!

We too will be on the M929B crossing! Not going through Heathrow, stopping twice in Southampton, once in Hamburg and Lehavre (no driving, trains, time and hotels to see them!) and the National Symphony are the appeal for us! We enjoyed the QE2 one-way crossing and a Carribean cruise on the QM2. See you onboard!

Its a trifle early - but I guess I should bump the roll call thread, blow some of the accumulated dust off and check it for freezer burn :D

In recent years we have done six crossings in the months of May and June and it has never been too cold for us. Mind you, I am saying this from a Canadian perspective:). There have been days when we sat on our balcony in short sleeves. But there certainly have been days when a jacket was required, but never a winter coat.

When walking around the Promenade Deck there is often considerable wind on one side (usually the north) and it can be very calm on the other. There was one late May crossing when it was so hot and humid for the day and a half out of New York that we stayed inside. There is usually fog off the Grand Banks of Newfoundland and it can rain at any time, although we have not encountered a lot on any of those six crossings.

We would never do a TA back to back because the UK is our favourite destination and we couldn't miss out on visiting friends and relatives, theatre, visiting steam railways, etc. Doing a round trip on the QM2 is usually difficult for us because our stay in Britain would either have to be too short or longer and more costly than we would like.

Once in a while there is a westbound crossing that calls in Halifax en route to New York. Because we love Halifax and the civilised train trip back to Toronto this is a perfect way for us to end a holiday abroad. Unfortunately Cunard doesn't do this often - not at all this year and once next year as part of an extended two week crossing. It is also possible to do a two-week voyage to or from Southampton to New York and Québec once a year. It will be twice in each next year.

I was wondering if anyone has an idea of temperatures/weather on an eastbound crossing. We are sailing this 10th June. Will we need a jumper/light coat if wanting to walk on deck? I know the weather is extremely changeable from one June to another but a vague idea of what to pack for outdoors would be a great help. Thank you.

Weather-wise, Easbound and Westbound crossings are typically materially different on board.

1. The prevailing winds come from the southwest, so you have a trailing wind going east - it can often seem almost calm on the open deck as you sail along. Exhaust from the funnel is a good clue about the effective wind on board.

Contrast that with the westbound, when the wind and the ship are moving in opposite directions. It can be a challenge to find a windless spot out on deck - but they do exist.

2. The time of year you are sailing, the North Atlantic is dominated by the 'Bermuda High', a large area of high pressure (= good weather) centred around Bermuda. Wind moves clockwise around a high in the northern hemisphere, so again you will be sailing with the (light) wind. The most important thing to wear will be sun screen.

Now, what I have described is climate. Climate is what you expect; weather is what you get.

I would plan for lovely weather, though. If it gets bad, there are tons of things to do inside on a Cunard crossing.

David's point about fog off the Nefoundland coast is very valid, at any time of the year, in any direction - common. Cold Arctic air meets warm moist southern air = sea mist. But do not depair. We have known the lower decks shrouded in fog while the upper decks enjoyed lovely sunshine!

Hope this helps.

Edited by Canuker

Thank you so much! So glad to know others do this also. I looked into flights back after 2 nights in London (booked through Cunard) and it was nearly as much as just cruising back.

That is exactly why we are doing a round trip! We are travelling with my entire family for my mom's 75th birthday. A total of 7 people. To have all 7 of us fly home was almost the same price as another week. So we opted for the second week on board and are planning to visit Windsor on our day in England. I think 2 weeks on a ship will be amazing. I may actually be able to relax!

David's point about fog off the Nefoundland coast is very valid, at any time of the year, in any direction - common. Cold Arctic air meets warm moist southern air = sea mist. .

Point in question: Cunard TAs take the ships quite close to Newfoundland. Attached is a picture taken there on May 24!winter-storm-of-may-2018-photos-1.4676053

It's from one of a series at http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/winter-storm-of-may-2018-photos-1.4676053

snow-on-the-deck.jpg.18863e3597c1caae961d1e4f3f76487e.jpg

Can anyone tell me how the Cunard shuttle bus works please...I will want to go into NY whilst in port and would prefer the easiest option available thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have just returned from a TA B2B Southampton to NY. We did the bus to Macy's option for our NY day so we could explore the area on foot as we pleased. The trip is offered as a tour that you can book once on board (it wasn't advertised on voyage personalised before we left) and it costs $49 each person. It might seem quite expensive for what is essentially a shuttle bus, but we wanted to ensure that we would get back to the ship in plenty of time. We set off from the port at around 7.30am and it picked us up at Macy's for the return trip at 2.30pm. Jo.

We did an Eastbound crossing last year and we were in the ship's choir with Anthony Inglis and the NSO. Highly recommended.

We have just returned from a TA B2B Southampton to NY. We did the bus to Macy's option for our NY day so we could explore the area on foot as we pleased. The trip is offered as a tour that you can book once on board (it wasn't advertised on voyage personalised before we left) and it costs $49 each person. It might seem quite expensive for what is essentially a shuttle bus, but we wanted to ensure that we would get back to the ship in plenty of time. We set off from the port at around 7.30am and it picked us up at Macy's for the return trip at 2.30pm. Jo.

We did a Westbound in 2007 and booked a Manhattan trip. It took so long to get through immigration that we only got 30 minutes in Manhattan. Cunard did refund us the cost of the shuttle though.

We have only done one true B2B crossing i.e. one day in NYC and were lucky enough to dock in Manhattan. It is amazing what you can accomplish on foot in a day if you are reasonably fit. But this was some 15 years ago, not quite so fit now.

However there is an alternative which QM2 does most years round the Independence Day U.S. Holiday. WB June 23/24 (this year its the 24th) 5 nights in NYC then EB to Southampton. The ship meanwhile goes up to Canada for those 5 days. We have done this trip whenever offered for some years now and it is the highlight of our holidays.

A long time contributor to this site, not seen for some time, used to do the B2B often and stay in Brooklyn for the day, have a fine lunch and a stroll and a cab back to the ship.

In 2016 we took advantage of the Big Apple Greeter programme and were shown all around Brooklyn by a Native Brooklyn Couple and it was fascinating. So perhaps a visit to this charming borough instead of a mad dash to Manhattan might fit your bill if you've visited Manhattan before.

Maybe we'll do the B2B one day and tell our friends we are just popping over to Brooklyn for lunch. But as long as the July 4th trip is offered we'll stick to that I think. Roll on the 24th!

MM

Going to and from New York with only a few hours in the Big Apple doesn't really appeal so we compromise. There and back but with the 'jam' of another cruise in the middle eg we are going out in December but will spend Christmas on the Regal Princess followed by 4 nights in New York before sailing home on the QM2.

Best of both worlds as far as we are concerned :D