Barcelona on our own

We are arriving early to Barcelona and will have 2 days on our own before boarding Viking Orion. We are considering touring Sagrada Familia but aren't sure whether to include the towers. Does anyone have a recommendation on this? Also, we would like to do La Rambla on our arrival day. Any recommendation on what to seek out? Thanks.

We did the Passion Tower, the other tower (forget the name), I had read was a little bit more claustrophobic. You take an elevator up but must walk down and I think it was somewhere around 220 steps but pretty easy. You do get some close looks at some of the really odd details and a nice view but you don't walk very far at this tower. The other one may have more of a walkway, not sure. Make sure you go online to book so you have your tickets (it's timed so show up 15 minutes beforehand), I think you can book two months out. Those lines of people are huge and a waste of time, plan ahead. Barcelona was a wonderful city, hope you enjoy it. Linda

We have been to Barcelona a few times and are going again next month. The last time we did a walking tour in the Gothic Quarter with Runner Bean tours. We weren't sure whether it was a good idea as it is a tip based tour, but it was great. It was three hours and our guide gave lots of information about the buildings and history of the area. We were able to enter one of the main churches for a quick visit. Our last stop was at a chocolate shop....so that was a nice bonus.

Our guide was a British girl who had lived in Barcelona for a couple of years but this will vary and some will be from Barcelona. She was also helpful in giving some tips about where to find Tapas Bars etc at the end of the tour.

https://runnerbeantours.com

Julie

Agree with above - purchase Sagrada tickets online and I would suggest the first in the morning as you can actually move around, later it gets very crowded. Also did the Runner Bean tour of the Gothic Quarter and really enjoyed it. Be aware they are not licensed tour guides so there are sometimes remarks about using licensed guides. Our first night we did a walking tapas tour with Taste of Barcelona which was so much fun and kept us going late enough to help get over our jet lag.

• 3 weeks later...
Agree with above - purchase Sagrada tickets online and I would suggest the first in the morning as you can actually move around, later it gets very crowded. Also did the Runner Bean tour of the Gothic Quarter and really enjoyed it. Be aware they are not licensed tour guides so there are sometimes remarks about using licensed guides. Our first night we did a walking tapas tour with Taste of Barcelona which was so much fun and kept us going late enough to help get over our jet lag.

Can I ask what you mean by "remarks about using licensed guides" - who makes the remarks?

I agree with all above suggestions. Absolutely necessary to have ticket for Sagrada before you arrive. Be sure to do tour of building process in the basement. Extremely informative. Las Ramblas is fun but be sure to be aware of ALL others around you at all times. Lots of pickpockets around. We usually take the HOHO bus as it is great to orient yourself and will give you a stop right in front of Sagrada.

There are three HOHO routes where you can see quite a lot. Sagrada Familia is beautiful.

Be aware of your surroundings and don't have a purse or bag that can be easily grabbed.

Have fun!

Actually there are two HoHo bus companies.

One operates three routes, the other operates two routes.

Different coloured buses.

We went to the monastery called Monserrat. It is a wonderful adventure. You can do it yourself or take a tour bus.

Loved Montserrat -- We took the train & purchased tickets on-site - Day Trip

On another trip, we took the train to Cava Country - also Day Trip

Enjoyed:

• Tapas
  • Las Ramblas / Boqueria
  • Water Front
  • Tram
  • Parc Guell
  • Olympic Stadium/Village
  • Sagrada Familia!
  • Museums - Miro & Picasso plus many more
  • Montjuic Castle
  • Gothic Quarter
  • Many Markets & Much More we can't think of @ the moment...

Whatever you may choose... Enjoy!!

La Rambles is a very touristy walk with lots of

'street merchants" selling rubber band airplanes, jewelry, hats, water guns ect. Fun to walk through but it is not a line item type place to see.

Nice place to take a walk & then have a cocktail and Tapas, Crepes, Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner... There's a little Crepe place - just off La Rambla - highly recommend :)

Nice place to take a walk & then have a cocktail and Tapas, Crepes, Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner... There's a little Crepe place - just off La Rambla - highly recommend :)

The name of the Crepe place please ?

We did 6 days on our own in Barcelona. We researched the top things to do and made a list. We purchased anything we could in advance. We used the subway for the majority, if we did not walk, and used the local bus for one place a little farther away. We even added a nighttime Barca football game. Enjoy. I believe the planning is part of the fun.

The name of the Crepe place please ?

I'd love to give it to you - but can't remember the name. It's on a side street off La Rambla.

Heading North on La Rambla it's on a side street / ally / courtyard on the right.

I want to say after the intersection of La Rambla & Carrer des Escudellers.

It is on the opposite side of La Rambla from La Boqueria

It was a small intimate Crepes & Coffee -- Savory & Sweet -- Johnny's intro to Crepes :p

I'd love to give it to you - but can't remember the name. It's on a side street off La Rambla.

Heading North on La Rambla it's on a side street / ally / courtyard on the right.

I want to say after the intersection of La Rambla & Carrer des Escudellers.

It is on the opposite side of La Rambla from La Boqueria

It was a small intimate Crepes & Coffee -- Savory & Sweet -- Johnny's intro to Crepes :p

Thanks I'll try to find it.

I was in Barcellona for a week on my own, and I found that my favourite things were wandering around the Gothic quarter, visiting the Joan Miro gallery and MNAC (museum) in the Montjuic area, and the Picasso Museum (which is really more of a gallery). I also liked the Basilica de Santa Maria del Pi - a much smaller Gothic Basilica, but it felt very special and serene.

If you want to go to La Sagrada Familia, definitely get tickets before you go. If you like Gaudi, be sure and see Parc Guell -- it's weird, it's kaleidoscope-like, and for some reason a lot of people like it.