TSA/ Pre-Check in Canada ?

horseymike

I believe you meant immigration procedures.

They have a separate lne in security for Nexus and Global Entry.

Nexus and Global Entry also are used for immigration and customs.

In the US we have used Nexus to go thru the PreCheck line.

I believe you meant immigration procedures.

No, Kamloops is correct. Many countries now use what is know as "Known Traveler" systems in the security area. In Toronto and Munich, for example, showing your Global Entry card at the security checkpoint gets you into what is supposed to be a faster security line. It was faster in Munich, not so much in Toronto.

Global Entry is a "Known Traveler" system in the international systems.

No, Kamloops is correct. Many countries now use what is know as "Known Traveler" systems in the security area. In Toronto and Munich, for example, showing your Global Entry card at the security checkpoint gets you into what is supposed to be a faster security line. It was faster in Munich, not so much in Toronto.

Care to share some information on this? I'm skeptical because Global Entry is a US program, not an "international system". The only times I'm aware that Global Entry plays any part outside the US is at at airports with US Border Preclearance, of which MUC doesn't apply.

Care to share some information on this? I'm skeptical because Global Entry is a US program, not an "international system". The only times I'm aware that Global Entry plays any part outside the US is at at airports with US Border Preclearance, of which MUC doesn't apply.

Just for example, when we checked in at MUC, we were told by the security person we were "known travelers" and thus going faster through security.

Global Entry is a US program, yes. But the concept of higher screened regular travelers is done by many countries. Global Entry is simply the US version. Apparently there is some relationship between the programs internationally .

I flew out of Toronto last year. As we walked up to the security check point, there was a sign that invited "Known Travelers" to use this securit line over here. It was not based on fare class...we were in coach. My GE card was accepted, and I went through this line. No shoes off, or liquids out. However, a couple of clunky people slowed the speed of the line a fair amount.

Yes, with Global Entry we had two benefits on our recent flight from Vancouver to the USA.

We were able to use the Nexus security line and went through a shorter line. Only difference from the USA was that we had to remove our computer from our carry on luggage.

Once through Security since we were clearing USA immigration/customs we went to one of the Global Entry kiosks.

Keith

Interesting to read about how the Known Traveler concept is spreading. For me, it suggests that I should plan to travel with my Global Entry card as well as my passport. One never knows when the card may come in handy, especially since I may well have a flight to/from MUC in the near future. (I know about Port Everglades). Thanks for the updates.

Edited by SFCAcruiser
typo

Does TSA / Pre-Check work when you are flying within Canada ?

"TSA Precheck" is a US program, administered by the Dept of Homeland Security. Therefore, you won't find it in other countries. Other countries may have some other sort of program whereby one can be expedited through the security check process.

In Canada similar express lanes at security are used for airline frequent flyers with top tier status (e.g. gold) when traveling with that airline or in business class. Vancouver also offers priority security for premium Visa cards and Toronto does the same thing for AMEX Platiunum.

In Canada similar express lanes at security are used for airline frequent flyers with top tier status (e.g. gold) when traveling with that airline or in business class. Vancouver also offers priority security for premium Visa cards and Toronto does the same thing for AMEX Platiunum.

How does this work if based upon having a particular charge card such as Amex Plat?

Who inspects it?

GC

How does this work if based upon having a particular charge card such as Amex Plat?

Who inspects it?

GC

The same queue-guarding CATSA minions who check you have your Global Entry or NEXUS card in-hand. While kiosks which scan passports can register your Trusted Traveler status as it's coded onto the passport, the queue guardians don't scan anything - just visually check you are holding up the relevant card and then allow you entry to the short Security queue.

Note also that Global Entry is only useful when traveling to the US from Canada - unlike NEXUS which is a joint program between US and Canada. Since all Canadian international airports do US preclearance, this means that your GE status is useful when you head back to the US again (it gets you into both Security and Immigration short queues even though TSA don't operate here), but doesn't expedite entering Canada. I have heard a few times now that GE cards are also being accepted for access to short security queues even on Canadian domestic flights, but can't confirm that myself as I have NEXUS. If OP has GE rather than TSA Pre, and did mean flights entirely within Canada, maybe he'll let us know?

FWIW I was able to use my NEXUS card to access short security queues in Heathrow (NEXUS also gives you a KTN - Known Traveler Number - the same as GE), although I'm still not sure if this was down to official policy or just a badly-trained minion (if the latter though, I was four for four in getting short queue access so they need to train everyone better!!!)

Who inspects it?

GC

In Toronto, I just show the CASTA (our equivalent to TSA) agent at the front of the line a AMEX Platinum card and she/he lets me into the express lane.

I wish Vancouver had the same deal with AMEX. However they have their deal with Visa. I have a Visa Infinite but not the Visa Infinite Privilege that required for the express lane. Same CASTA person just lets you in to the fast lane.