First timer questions

teamflames

What is the ITA Matrix? Has it been discussed here and I missed it?

It is a webpage that helps search for flights, it is apparently more powerful than many of the normal search engines. You cannot actually book with it but it found us some flights at half the price that Seabourn air and the normal search engines quoted (which both seemed reasonable). I am not sure if this is because this website has access to other deals or it is because our flight routes were so strange- Miami to Dubai and Singapore to NOLA

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

Thank you team flames, we'll check it out next time we need to book flights. Right now, we're just looking at SB itineraries and trying to decide when and where we want to go.

I love going thru cruise itineraries!

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums

My three 'go to' websites for flights are Google flights, ITA matrix and sky scanner.

Its amazing how much you can save by using these 3 sites . Very useful if you are doing a re positioning or one way cruise .

When you do, team flames, come back here and tell us what you are thinking.

Will do but I just love using that online ta website which easily lets you filter via region, ship, cruise lines etc, compare cost per day etc. Bit sad but I just have fun exploring the endless opportunities

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

As far as the sushi restaurant is concerned, I dined there several time during my last cruise (Norway in July), for both lunch and dinner. Never had a reservation, and never had to wait. If you like sushi, you will LOVE this restaurant. Not just for the food, but also for the peaceful ambience.

As far as the sushi restaurant is concerned, I dined there several time during my last cruise (Norway in July), for both lunch and dinner. Never had a reservation, and never had to wait. If you like sushi, you will LOVE this restaurant. Not just for the food, but also for the peaceful ambience.

My wife will be very happy to hear this

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The staff in Sushi are both friendly and helpful guiding you through a potentially unfamiliar menu. In the end we just let them bring a variety of dishes and found some absolute gems.

A perfect toe dip in the water for those less familiar with the genre and a real asset to the Seabourn experience.

Henry :)

• 3 months later...

Hi again all, we are only days away from stepping aboard our first Seabourn cruise. We have just completed 4 cruises (ncl transatlantic via Iceland; our first Viking Ocean cruise; another ncl transatlantic and our first ever MSC cruise) so I have unfortunately put on all the weight I lost in preparation for this “gruelling” schedule haha. Oh well. We flew from Miami to Dubai yesterday so trying to adjust with the jet lag.

I am reacquainting myself with Seabourn and the Ovation. I find the website strange, I log in and it shows my booking with itinerary and ability to book shore excursions etc but to find my cabin assignment I have to enter guest registration on a separate web page but if I proceed past that first page I cannot see my cabin details again and strangely when I try to reprint my documents it still does show this cabin assignment although it does in the epass.

As we have not returned home since booking this cruise I am not sure what Seabourn has sent us but I presume these edocs will suffice for boarding?

Online it states check in is from 2pm, is this normal? It sounds a little late and we were hoping to have lunch after boarding?

We have 2 tender ports (Sir Yani Bas island and Sabang in Indonesia) what is the likelihood we can use the onboard marina equipment?

Normally on cruise ships we don’t spend a lot of time by the pool, we like walking the promenade and open decks, playing games and activities. It appears there is no walking track, is this correct? Are there any activities such as table tennis or shuffleboard etc? It scares me to think how much weight I could put on without these distractions 🤣 

Does anyone have copies of the cocktail lists/drinks menus so I can get even more excited?

any other last minute tips?

thanks everyone

Actually all you need to board is your passport but sometimes Dock security asks your ticket in order to allow you to enter, You should be able to print tickets. You definitely do not need the physical documents Seabourn sends to your TA to forward to you.

One thing that helps me control weight is to NEVER use the elevator. Starts on;y even if I need to mount six our seven decks. And of course don't forget to pack a little will power.

23 minutes ago, wripro said:

That's stairs only.

Hi, yes we are the same in that we only take the stairs which also helps prevent contact with germs. I have put on 20 pounds but that is over 60 days of being on cruise ships which I think isn’t too bad 😳🤥🥳

I think most of it is from drinks 🍻

Just now, teamflames said:

Hi, yes we are the same in that we only take the stairs which also helps prevent contact with germs. I have put on 20 pounds but that is over 60 days of being on cruise ships which I think isn’t too bad 😳🤥🥳

I think most of it is from drinks 🍻

I think a lot of people ignore the calories in alcohol and only consider those in the food. That can become a problem when all alcohol is included.

You can order a wonderful grilled Salmon with vegetables off the menu in the Colonnade for lunch and bypass all the more caloric foods that might tempt you from the buffet.  I also forgo desserts--with maybe just a small bite of my husband's dessert.  For some meals, I order an appetizer (like shrimp cocktail) and another appetizer as my entree.  

42 minutes ago, SLSD said:

You can order a wonderful grilled Salmon with vegetables off the menu in the Colonnade for lunch and bypass all the more caloric foods that might tempt you from the buffet.  I also forgo desserts--with maybe just a small bite of my husband's dessert.  For some meals, I order an appetizer (like shrimp cocktail) and another appetizer as my entree.  

Thanks SLSD, appreciate all your help as usual. Do you have any opinions on my other questions about activities and walking areas?

cheers

I generally walk laps on sea days as I have an aversion to gyms. I usually walk early in the morning (6:30) on deck 9 for approximately 3 miles around and above the pool deck ( 48 laps). If you do it much later it will be harder with sunbathers and general pedestrian “traffic.”  If the weather is rainy or too windy I’ll walk deck 8 which is a bit more under cover and protected from the elements but I prefer the view of the ocean on deck 9. 

I think Chairsin knows the best routes for walking Teamflames.  On our next voyage I'm going to try to take the stairs all the time instead of the elevator!  My husband and I do track our steps everyday.  Sometimes we DO reach 10,000.  It's those sea days that are dangerous for activity!  Like Chairsin, I don't have a big interest in the gym (even though I go at home) and may try her walking advice.  

5 hours ago, Chairsin said:

I generally walk laps on sea days as I have an aversion to gyms. I usually walk early in the morning (6:30) on deck 9 for approximately 3 miles around and above the pool deck ( 48 laps). If you do it much later it will be harder with sunbathers and general pedestrian “traffic.”  If the weather is rainy or too windy I’ll walk deck 8 which is a bit more under cover and protected from the elements but I prefer the view of the ocean on deck 9. 

Thanks, I don’t like being on equipment inside the gym when at sea and love walking outside but it does appear to be a problem on this ship (6.30 might be a tad early). On our recent Viking cruise they had a full promenade very close to the sea and an upstairs walking track with exercise equipment. No worries we will adjust.

On 8/14/2018 at 6:18 PM, Isklaar said:

Oops, so apparently I gave misinformation in my reply.

I wasn't aware that reservations are required for Sushi.

Sorry to the OP !

I called Seabourn and asked about reservations for Sushi because we're doing the Encore next Feb. and SB said, "reservations are not required for Sushi".  In fact, Seabourn told me reservations are not even offered for Sushi.  Reservations for TK absolutely needed.

Regarding men's jackets,  they are required in the MDR on formal nights.  I wear mine every night I go to the MDR because it's cool in their, usually over a nice polo shirt but I do wear a tie on formal nights.

Air tickets are available via Seabourn's Flight Ease either by calling Seabourn or your TA.  It use to be available to book online several years ago but no more.

Ordering your caviar the day before is suggested, otherwise it may be a 30 - 60 min wait.

You're really going to enjoy Seabourn if you've been cruising on the 'big box' cruise lines.  What you are sure to miss is: bingo, chains by the inch, photographers everywhere, and $9 watered down drinks. Did is say, no chains by the inch.  Yes I did.  Outside of shore excursions, it's really hard to spend money on Seabourn. 

We've done over 140 on Seabourn and haven't looked back - ever.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

Sushi is not very hard to get into. You can safely book by calling or attending guest services once you board. Or just turn up at opening time, we never had any trouble getting a table for two. Heck one night, we did sushi, main dining room AND TK in one night because we liked the menu on all of them.

It would be prudent to have a copy of your itinerary or e-Pass in case there is security at the dock. But when you do reach the Seabourn check-in counters, grab a drink and you just need your passport and the Seabourn spirit.

Caviar: saw all things. From people ordering it as an appetiser or extra in between courses in the main dining room to room service at all hours. Or even anytime in between. If you're spontaneous then there is a wait. We found the usual serving size too small so would always ask for caviar for "two" or "four" - one evening they even filled the entire glass bowl! You can always ask for things off menu.

• Like 1