Sapphire Princess

Princess18

Yes this was retrofitted on Sapphire Princess In Feb 2014

Many thanks for the correction. I will file this in my (defective) memory for future use. We're actually booked on Sapphire but not until October 2019 and this will please my wife.

Many thanks for the correction. I will file this in my (defective) memory for future use. We're actually booked on Sapphire but not until October 2019 and this will please my wife.

You're welcome - she was our first, second and third cruise and we will get to go on her in the UK this October - can't wait!

Sandra

What exactly is On Demand TV? Booked on Sapphire this summer....

On Demand means that after you turn on the TV you will be presented with a menu of types of programs you want to watch such as movies, live TV, TV Shows etc. After you scroll to and then select one of the types you will be presented with a menu of what is available in that type.

The live TV is basically news channels. The movies include the one shown on the Movies Under The Stars screen the day before.

The On Demand TV is much preferred to what is found on the ships that do not have it. I once had the impression that all ships would eventually be retro-fitted with On Demand TV but I have not heard of that happening to any ship since the Sapphire and (I thing also the Diamond).

On Demand means that after you turn on the TV you will be presented with a menu of types of programs you want to watch such as movies, live TV, TV Shows etc. After you scroll to and then select one of the types you will be presented with a menu of what is available in that type.

The live TV is basically news channels. The movies include the one shown on the Movies Under The Stars screen the day before.

Plus you can pause and re-start from the same point on the movies (at least) which is very useful!

Yes this was retrofitted on Sapphire Princess In Feb 2014

That is good to hear as I am sailing on the Sapphire in September, and I have a further query! I sailed on the Diamond in late 2015. She had the On Demand system and the TV was a large screen, wall-mounted one. Looking at the photos of the Sapphire's staterooms, the TVs all seem to be very small ones that are free-standing on a shelf in the cabinetry. So, just wondering, if the Sapphire has the On Demand system, does she also have the large TVs as well? Actually, looking at the Diamond's photos, they also still show the small TVs, so maybe they just don't bother updating the photos! :D

After experiencing the On Demand system, I have since found the systems on HAL and Celebrity very ordinary!!! :(:(

That is good to hear as I am sailing on the Sapphire in September, and I have a further query! I sailed on the Diamond in late 2015. She had the On Demand system and the TV was a large screen, wall-mounted one. Looking at the photos of the Sapphire's staterooms, the TVs all seem to be very small ones that are free-standing on a shelf in the cabinetry. So, just wondering, if the Sapphire has the On Demand system, does she also have the large TVs as well? Actually, looking at the Diamond's photos, they also still show the small TVs, so maybe they just don't bother updating the photos! :D

Yes probably didn't update the photos - here is a Youtube video where the TVs look a lot bigger. Not flat on the wall like on Royal Class though!

And Jim Zim posted a picture of when he was on the Sapphire at the time of the TV upgrades - look at those boxes in the hallway!

SapphirePrincess-IMG_0626.JPG

I just read elsewhere that someone on board is reporting that 43 inch TVs are being installed during the current dry dock. They are also refreshing carpet, tiles, reupholstering seats in the Princess theater, painting the hull, retiling the pools, installing Ocean Medallion for later use, adding new beds, etc. Looking forward to sailing the Sapphire next January!

I just read elsewhere that someone on board is reporting that 43 inch TVs are being installed during the current dry dock. They are also refreshing carpet, tiles, reupholstering seats in the Princess theater, painting the hull, retiling the pools, installing Ocean Medallion for later use, adding new beds, etc. Looking forward to sailing the Sapphire next January!

We’re sailing the Sapphire this summer & hoping to learn soon what actually is done during the current drydock in Singapore.

In addition to what you’ve read, it’s been reported that the youth center will be renovated. I just received an email from Princess which shows Sabatini’s now having the newer Trattoria menu. When that’s happened on some other ships they also renovated the decor to a modern Italian design.

But any reported changes need to be confirmed post-drydock because sometimes scheduled work is not done.

I was on the Sapphire in January 2014 when installation of the new TVs began but not in our cabin. There were many boxed TVs in hallways which as I recall were 40” (zoomed into that photo but couldn’t see any identifying info). Surprised that they’re now adding 43” TVs although that might be necessary in preparation for *****.

In addition to what you’ve read, it’s been reported that the youth center will be renovated.

It would be silly not to do the Youth Center while at dry dock - though on the original roll out schedule, they left out the Sapphire Princess from the schedule:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/kids-and-teens/

The Youth & Teen Center design revitalizations are now available on board Grand Princess, Caribbean Princess, Majestic Princess and Regal Princess, Sea Princess, Island Princess and Star Princess. And will debut on Crown Princess (Mar 2018), Sun Princess (Jul 2018) and Ruby Princess (Oct 2018), Royal Princess (Dec 2018), Coral Princess (Jan 2019), and Emerald Princess (Apr 2019). Please note this schedule is subject to change.

I will be very anxious to hear from those on the first sailing after dry dock!

I was on the Sapphire in January 2014 when installation of the new TVs began but not in our cabin. There were many boxed TVs in hallways which as I recall were 40” (zoomed into that photo but couldn’t see any identifying info). Surprised that they’re now adding 43” TVs although that might be necessary in preparation for *****.

Yes, that sounds about right. We were there on the first Ocean Medallion preview cruise they announced that, as part of the Medallion rollout, each cabin would get 43″ 4K Touchscreen TVs.

Sandra

Yes! Its the only non new ship that was received the on demand tv during refurbishment a couple years back. Princess will never touch the older ships again, as it was boats loads of work to wire all these staterooms, from what I hears.So if you're going on the Sapphire, ENJOY! I love the on demand when I go on the Regal frequently.

Yes! Its the only non new ship that was received the on demand tv during refurbishment a couple years back. Princess will never touch the older ships again, as it was boats loads of work to wire all these staterooms, from what I hears.So if you're going on the Sapphire, ENJOY! I love the on demand when I go on the Regal frequently.
Nope! Diamond had it in 2015!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Forums mobile app