Queen Mary 2 - My Review

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:35 PM.
2,479 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Phyliss and Joan:

Thanks for your kind words.

The Carribean sailing should be just fine. We are also going in November (6th) and are not concerned this behavior will repeat itself. What are your sailing dates?

Jeanne
2,479 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
HavetoCruise:

Am also from Staten Island. Have you been on the NCL Dawn by any chance.

Ernie:

I have been an admirer of your posts and thank you for your kind words.

Lknick

By all means wear your dress uniform (airforce?) and bring that Cadet Sword. I would wear my old uniform but would probably get many requests for assistance as I resemble the Comnmander of the Lido Restaurant on QE2.

and I know you have sailed on the old Rotteram. Probably brought one of those cars back with you!

SHIPPING OUT

There seemed to be more thatn a few newcomers. I do not want to get into another tiff with someone ungentlemanly, but someone mentioned RedNeck on this thread and they were not too far off the mark. There was also much heavy drinking, so much that I thought some one is going to fall overboard on this time.

Michael:

THanks again, you are always so nice, such a gentleman. I am relieved to hear about your cruise to nowhere as I am sailing on Carnival Legend for 2 night in October (but have sailed on this line beofre and liked it.

Jeanne
2,479 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Thanks Michael. When are you sailing again. Have you ever been on Radisson Navigator? Just got of from Bermuda and I love everything about this ship (except Afternoon Tea) - it was wonderful and they have a single supplement as low as $100. It is all suite and the service is tops. You dine with the staff, socialize with them. The cruise director and his wife were down the hall from us and we spoke each day, then had dinner together. The entire staff went out of their way to make us feel totally pampered. When I boarded that ship and was handed a glass of Verve Cliquot (attention Rotterdam)I was in heaven!

Jeanne
1,609 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Hi Jeanne,
Well it appears there were TWO cruise critic get togethers in the Chart Room at Noon. There were about 10 or 11 of us at the entrance across from the Sir Samuels WIne Bar. We kept wondering where YOU were. In fact, I circulated in the room saying "Cruise Critics, Cruise Critics" (Got a few strange looks) but I did end up in finding the people from the Midwest (she had just had her wisdom teeth taken out). Also found "Love to Jump" who was there with her MOM and Sue from Norwood, PA.
Sorry we missed you. Also, sorry to hear about your experiences. I was also on the Maiden Westbound (with Shipping Out) and the people were wonderful. ON the 3 nt. we dined each night in a different alternate and we did not have any of the situations you encountered and had lovely dinners. I'm sure your November cruise will be different
Bon voyage
Fort Myers, FL, USA
768 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Yes, Jeannie, I did bring a car back...a Mercedes 220SD...total cost [as I recall] was US$ 2,200.

Those were the days...the mark at 4.2 per dollar and no EU rules that all cheese had to be made from pasterized milk.

As to my military, started out in the signal corp attached first to the marines and then the army, went to the academy and since I never liked mud, cold and people shooting at me, learned to drive airplanes.

40 cruises: mainly Cunard, Carnival, HAL, NCL, RCI, Starclipper, Seabourn. ~511 days total, ~325 on HAL
Norwood. pa USA
8 Posts
Joined Oct 2002
Jeanne.....I am sorry we were not able to meet. Thanks for the review and to everyone else, I have not even had a chance to compile my thoughts of this cruise yet. I will try to do so soon.

I will say that everything Jeanne has said is true. There seem to be little glitches in everything aboard this ship, but I think we all, including Jeanne, would agree that this is attributed to being new, and I could see where some staff have adjusted and service is wonderful, other staff is taking a little more time to adjust.

As far as the Brittania dining room, she is right on. We were fortunate to have been placed at a nice table on tier 3 along side some other wonderful people. However.....we noted some major mixups with some group seating near us that although it sounded as though the problem was originally with Cunard, after witnessing these people for three days, I would say that they were being extremely demanding. I would guess that some of this group could have been the people that took your table, as they seemed to be saying they were going to sit where they pleased as they thought that they were wronged.

The QM2 is a wonderful ship and the staff for the most part were also wonderful. I found it no problem to find everything I wanted to see in the three days, but again that is what I was there for, and part of the reason I chose the three day cruise to nowhere. I would not be distracted from taking in the wonders of this ship/modern liner.

ARTannen......You are way off base. As others said their mouth dropped open when reading of Jeanne's experience in the dining room, so did mine when I read your comments. I don't think I have ever read anything so rude and offending. You were not there. I was, and see nothing off base from what Jeanne has said. There were some people that apparently had not been taught any manners or common courtesy. I see no reason why Jeanne would purposely misprint someones name...especially when she remarked that she was unsure of it!!...come on now...(like Linerguy said)get a grip!!! I saw nowhere where Jeanne said she did not enjoy the trip, she is mearly making a clear puicture of some of the things that can or will happen. The hairdryers did stink..that is an observation, not a critisism. Mearly information for someone else planning on using the hairdryers to re-think packing their own. And to accuse someone you don't even know of trying to get a refund????? I think you need to learn how to present your objections better as not to look like the "QM2 review N*zi".

Sue
QM2 5/7/04...Mother's Day Cruise

Carnival Legend 10/21/03
Rotterdam 1970's
2,479 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Thanks Sue:

We too were disappointed in not meeting up with you, but assumed that you were trying to experience everything that you possibly could on this wonderful ship. We never made it to the Connoisseur’s Club – I wish we had and will make this first for this fall.

Thank you for your kind and thoughtful post. I don’t know who was more obnoxious – this tiresome individual or the table vulgarians. Having been on this forum for over two years I do not recall this self appointed Cunard Expert posting previously.

Having read many posts about inadequate blow dryers on ships (yet found them fine); when I tired this one on QM2 I thought I’d better warn those who really prefer strong wattage. As for prices, I spent close to a grand on my shipboard account for only three days, but I still do not want to be overcharged as I work hard for the money I do have.

Thanks again for your post – good to hear from you again.

Jeanne
2,479 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Cruisr:

Sorry to have missed you. Did the venue change from the Chart Room to Sir Samuel's? I had thought that we had agreed to meet in the the Chart Room as did Viv and Pam and that it was Sue from Norwood who had suggested the Chart Room. Unfortunately we were seated around the corner from the main drag/hall, all the way at the end (it was the only table we saw open for that would hold a group. We did not think to look in Sir Samuels (which I liked better than this Chart Room. NExt time I will search better.

That was a great idea, dining in a different alternative restaurant each evening. So you dined at the Asian and Chef Demo restaurants? How were they?

I have no doubt the next sailing will be different. I eventhink the 4th of July they wil be more prepared for short cruise to nowhere.

Jeanne
2,479 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Lknick

That must have been some car. Those sure were wide verandahs. I remember the little cars lined up.

That is some military career!

Are you planning a crossing this year?

Jeannie
Fort Myers, FL, USA
768 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Jeannie--I leave for London on Thursday and come back on the QM2 on the 25th.

Last month I did a Prinsendam crossing to Lisbon. Loved it, found it much like QE2.

All business of course.

40 cruises: mainly Cunard, Carnival, HAL, NCL, RCI, Starclipper, Seabourn. ~511 days total, ~325 on HAL
CA
329 Posts
Joined Dec 2003
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have read your replies and would like to thank you for confirming my thoughts about your "review."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Who would have ever imagined that you could come to such a startling conclusion about your own thoughts?

We are at the end of the game. More accurately, we are at the end of this round of a neverending game.
Fort Myers, FL, USA
768 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Why would you assume that I am a man? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hmm... Wanting the last word... Now let me think.

Staten Island, New York USA
245 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Hi Jeanne.........No, haven't tried the NCL Dawn yet. Been on the Rotterdam twice and loved it. Also cruised on the Triumph (maiden voyage) and sailed on the Carnival Legend (8 days) last August. Enjoyed them immensely. We were supposed to be on your sailing, but had to cancel. I am sure we will enjoy our July 4th sailing.

Your review was quite informative and so sorry for your aggravation.

Helane

40+ Cruises
QM2 7/1/04
2,479 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Have to cruise:

We loved the Triumph to Canada and in October will be on the Legend for a 2 day to nowhere. How was the speciality restaurant.
Staten Island, New York USA
245 Posts
Joined Jul 2000
Jeanne.......The specialty restaurant was exceptional. Service was great and, of course, the food was excellent. I think we paid $25.00pp and it was well worth much more. There was a piano player and a dance floor. If I remember correctly, there were two levels. Make a reservation as soon as you board and I promise you will love it!

Helane

40+ Cruises
QM2 7/1/04
2,479 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Have to Cruise:

Will do! Did you have Stone Crabs? We will definitely make a reservation as soon as we embark. We booked a regular suite. Are the balconies on Spirit Class ships deeper than the narrow balconies on the Destiny class?

Jeanne
New York, New York USA
2 Posts
Joined Mar 2003
Jeanne,
I'm glad somebody has the courage to tell it like it is. I was on the Mother's Day cruise also and found a large percentage of the passengers to be rude and obnoxious (aka your typical American tourist). Others may not like my choice of words, but they weren't there to witness the things that I (indeed, we) did. I congratulate you on your honesty. Both of my future bookings on the QE2 are European cruises which will depart from Southampton ; I've had enough of my "fellow" American passengers.
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA
7,574 Posts
Joined May 2000
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by purser131:
I've had enough of my "fellow" American passengers.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You don't think there are obnoxious European passengers? Think again. I'm a flight attendant for a major airline and fly to Europe fairly often. Believe me, there are more than enough loud and obnoxious European's to go around. The US certainly isn't alone in this regard.

Ernie