Royal/Regal interior sideways v regular

antsp

Anyone got any opinions on sideways cabins v regular, watched a YouTube video on the sideways, lie the unusual layout, thought it would be better if the cabin door opened the other way round in the cabin so it hid the beds more. Any thoughts

I've had a "sideways" cabin on the Royal and I agree that the cabin door could open in the other direction. The problem with that, though, is that anyone walking by would see the beds reflected in the mirrors at the desk. Chances are you'd think you have privacy but you really wouldn't. Opening against the bed rather than the desk would make the cabin feel smaller.

Anyone got any opinions on sideways cabins v regular, watched a YouTube video on the sideways, lie the unusual layout, thought it would be better if the cabin door opened the other way round in the cabin so it hid the beds more. Any thoughts

Sideways are much better.

When picking one of the inside sideways cabins on the Royal or Regal, watch out for the ones that have two additional berths mounted on the wall.

Avoid these like the plague unless you have more than two passengers for the cabin.

When picking one of the inside sideways cabins on the Royal or Regal, watch out for the ones that have two additional berths mounted on the wall.

Avoid these like the plague unless you have more than two passengers for the cabin.

Will only be the 2 of us sailing dd is at University (college) so we are empty nesters now

I have a very strong opinion. I LOVE the sideways inside cabin on the Regal. Last cruise I was upgraded to a balcony and usually I turn that down, but decided to take it. I was sorely disappointed. The sideways has a better layout and definately is larger. Also, no problem with privacy. I highly recommend this cabin. However, as others have said, avoid the cabins that sleep 4 (they seem to be on the ends of blocks of cabins) as the extra bunks hang from the ceiling and are very claustrophobic, IMHO.

We got stuck in one of those with the Pullman berths last year. They are a major pain. They made getting in and out of bed a headache, literally sometimes!

We have a sideways cabin this year for the first time. I'm anxious to see if it's really roomier!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have a very strong opinion. I LOVE the sideways inside cabin on the Regal. Last cruise I was upgraded to a balcony and usually I turn that down, but decided to take it. I was sorely disappointed. The sideways has a better layout and definately is larger. Also, no problem with privacy. I highly recommend this cabin. However, as others have said, avoid the cabins that sleep 4 (they seem to be on the ends of blocks of cabins) as the extra bunks hang from the ceiling and are very claustrophobic, IMHO.

My buddy has strong view :) I see it differently. I leave the cabin early each mornng. My wife sleeps late. I dislike that once I open the door, shes seen by all who pass lying in bed. That bothers me. Yes the room is a little larger. Would I pass up a free balcony upgrade for one? Never ..... My children at home don't have open access to our bedroom, why would it be ok on a cruise.

To each his own.....id rather not have one....IMHO.

Edited by blkspy

• 2 months later...
Any pics of a sideways cabin with a twin bed set-up?

Twin configuration in a quad cabin on the Ruby which should be similar on the Royal & Regal:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35870916&postcount=3

Royal/Regal twin beds inside cabin twin occupancy:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ed/01/e8/ed01e887c63d097157a54f6a5709db1b.jpg

I have mixed feelings. I booked the sideways on Royal based on feedback on cruise Critics but normally I like a hallway at an entryway before entering my living quarters. But since everyone says the sideways cabin is roomier I'm taking a chance with it.