Vigie Beach

seashinesunshine

HI All~ since I was very curious, and couldn't find a lot of information about Vigie Beach, I made a quick video when I made the trip to it last cruise. I thought if anyone is interested in the beach, you might like to see the video and read my mini review that I copied from my video upload. Any questions, please ask.

"I am uploading this video because in the cruise world Vigie Beach does not get a lot of notice, but a lot of people ask about it because it looks like a close walk from the cruise port. It is walkable, but you can't go across the airport, so you do have to go around the airport. Like any airport it is closed off by a fence. It took us about 30 minutes to walk to it, it's an easy flat walk and we enjoyed it. The beach wasn't really worth the walk, unless you enjoy just walking and enjoying the view. We did not swim or get in the water, there were no facilities to change, no chairs to rent or snacks to be had anywhere. It was a nice quiet walk to the beach and lovely to walk the beach. It did seem like the beach would be fine for some wading and people at the resort down the beach were doing water activities. It did not seem to be maintained much, although there was a grounds crew there cleaning when we were there. The beach rests against a graveyard to the point where it seemed a few graves had washed into the beach in years past, maybe hurricanes. It was a picturesque grave yard and we did walk thru it. We also went to the right (facing the ocean) and walked into the resort area for the resort that was there. We walked thru the resort to get back to the road and a guard at the road was quite upset that we walk thru the resort, we explained there were no signs and no one told us we couldn't walk there. The grounds of the resort were quite nice. Would I go there again, probably not, am I glad I went, yes, it was fun to see a new part of the island. A side note, when we were back to the road, instead of going back to the port, we went more thru the town area, noticed we were really alone, a guy who seemed to be an American who lived there, told us we were in a really bad area and we should head right back to port. He walked with us aways. I didn't not feel unsafe in the beach area or on the way, only when we veered into town."

Edited by seashinesunshine

HI All~ since I was very curious, and couldn't find a lot of information about Vigie Beach, I made a quick video when I made the trip to it last cruise. I thought if anyone is interested in the beach, you might like to see the video and read my mini review that I copied from my video upload. Any questions, please ask.

"I am uploading this video because in the cruise world Vigie Beach does not get a lot of notice, but a lot of people ask about it because it looks like a close walk from the cruise port. It is walkable, but you can't go across the airport, so you do have to go around the airport. Like any airport it is closed off by a fence. It took us about 30 minutes to walk to it, it's an easy flat walk and we enjoyed it. The beach wasn't really worth the walk, unless you enjoy just walking and enjoying the view. We did not swim or get in the water, there were no facilities to change, no chairs to rent or snacks to be had anywhere. It was a nice quiet walk to the beach and lovely to walk the beach. It did seem like the beach would be fine for some wading and people at the resort down the beach were doing water activities. It did not seem to be maintained much, although there was a grounds crew there cleaning when we were there. The beach rests against a graveyard to the point where it seemed a few graves had washed into the beach in years past, maybe hurricanes. It was a picturesque grave yard and we did walk thru it. We also went to the right (facing the ocean) and walked into the resort area for the resort that was there. We walked thru the resort to get back to the road and a guard at the road was quite upset that we walk thru the resort, we explained there were no signs and no one told us we couldn't walk there. The grounds of the resort were quite nice. Would I go there again, probably not, am I glad I went, yes, it was fun to see a new part of the island. A side note, when we were back to the road, instead of going back to the port, we went more thru the town area, noticed we were really alone, a guy who seemed to be an American who lived there, told us we were in a really bad area and we should head right back to port. He walked with us aways. I didn't not feel unsafe in the beach area or on the way, only when we veered into town."

Interesting review. When did you visit Vigie Beach? I ask, as Vigie installed and opened a Boardwalk in Dec 2016 that has 6-8 small local restaurants and bars/snack bars, two sets of restrooms, showers and changing spaces, several chair vendors, etc. However, you have to walk down past the graveyard towards the entrance of the airport, maybe another 10 minute walk....

Rendezvous is the resort located before the graveyard. It's and adult and couples only resort. Their day pass is reasonably economical for those interested in such things...

And yeah, best to stick to the "highway" when going back and forth.

Hope you enjoyed your visit. Perhaps next time, you'll make it all the way down to the facilities available on Vigie. Or maybe explore some other lesser known areas..

Happy sails!!

• 3 weeks later...
My husband will be scuba diving when we are in St. Lucia. Is Vigie a safe place for me to go on my own?

Yup, should be no problem. The boardwalk area is right across from the airport, well populated and patrolled, no problem. Castro (cruise critic contributor) will put up a sign with your name on it if you want to meet him, use his chairs, etc..

Enjoy.

We went to Vigie beach in March They have a restaurant bathrooms lots of chairs and I had no problem getting in the water . Princess had a tour that went there. TAXI was $10. Make sure that they take you down the small road which is parallel to the airport. We will go back there in January. OntarioCruiser

Yup, should be no problem. The boardwalk area is right across from the airport, well populated and patrolled, no problem. Castro (cruise critic contributor) will put up a sign with your name on it if you want to meet him, use his chairs, etc..

Enjoy.

Awesome :D Thank you!!

• 3 weeks later...
We went to Vigie beach in March They have a restaurant bathrooms lots of chairs and I had no problem getting in the water . Princess had a tour that went there. TAXI was $10. Make sure that they take you down the small road which is parallel to the airport. We will go back there in January. OntarioCruiser

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
hello to all, who will read this post. there is a beach facility at the vigie beach opposite the airport and there are 6 booths that servers food and drink. there are also two washroom facilities and beach chairs u can get from me. be sure to look out for my little sign boards also look out for beach massages this season.

best regards

castro

Considering going to Vigie Beach in December but would like to know if there are many vendors on the beach or will we not be bothered? Also, are there taxis at the beach to take us back to the ship? Thank you.

Considering going to Vigie Beach in December but would like to know if there are many vendors on the beach or will we not be bothered? Also, are there taxis at the beach to take us back to the ship? Thank you.

Taxis are readily available to take you back to the ship. There's few to no vendors. And the ones that are around are polite and will take a polite no and move on. Any problems, just ask the chair guys, or any number of the boardwalk operators to handle them. It's a well patrolled area, right across from the airport, you won't be hassled. Enjoy.

Enjoy.

HOw do you get in contact with Castro????

hello to all, who will read this post. there is a beach facility at the vigie beach opposite the airport and there are 6 booths that servers food and drink. there are also two washroom facilities and beach chairs u can get from me. be sure to look out for my little sign boards also look out for beach massages this season.

best regards

castro

How much are the chairs? Are the chairs "cushioned"? (Do you have a picture of chairs?) Do you have umbrellas also? What is the cost?

Thanks.

How much are the chairs? Are the chairs "cushioned"? (Do you have a picture of chairs?) Do you have umbrellas also? What is the cost?

Thanks.

Chairs are around $5-10usd per chair. Umbrellas aren't really necessary as there's tons of natural shade all around.. Seriously, tons.

Chairs are around $5-10usd per chair. Umbrellas aren't really necessary as there's tons of natural shade all around.. Seriously, tons.

good day

no their not cushioned however there are or is a vendor with cushioned sunbeds and their 10usd per chair, the umbrellas yes but no need as there is lots of natural shade from trees.

Thank you both for the info!

When we were in St. Lucia last year, a water taxi operator suggested VIgie Beach. Am I remembering incorrectly that there was, indeed, water taxi across from cruise port to Vigie? Or am I remembering that the water taxi driver we took into town suggested Vigie but we have to take a land taxi? Can someone who went there recently straighten me out? Confused.....

Thanks!

When we were in St. Lucia last year, a water taxi operator suggested VIgie Beach. Am I remembering incorrectly that there was, indeed, water taxi across from cruise port to Vigie? Or am I remembering that the water taxi driver we took into town suggested Vigie but we have to take a land taxi? Can someone who went there recently straighten me out? Confused.....

Thanks!

While in sure you could take a water taxi to Vigie beach, it would be an incredibly long and super expensive way to get there. You'd have to exit the port, then out the harbor, then around Vigie peninsula, up the coast and back into the bay where the beach is located.

Versus a quick direct 5-10 minute cab ride, or 20-30 minute flat walk..

Don't waste your time or money in a water taxi to Vigie, that would be serious overkill!

While in sure you could take a water taxi to Vigie beach, it would be an incredibly long and super expensive way to get there. You'd have to exit the port, then out the harbor, then around Vigie peninsula, up the coast and back into the bay where the beach is located.

Versus a quick direct 5-10 minute cab ride, or 20-30 minute flat walk..

Don't waste your time or money in a water taxi to Vigie, that would be serious overkill!

Thank you for the helpful response. DH reminded me today that it was a land taxi driver who wanted to take us to Vigie, so you are correct! Do you happen to remember how much the cab ride was? 5-10 min would have to mean it wasn't too far.... And did you enjoy Vigie? Chairs and umbrella rentals available? And bathrooms, I will assume....

Again, thanks.

Thank you for the helpful response. DH reminded me today that it was a land taxi driver who wanted to take us to Vigie, so you are correct! Do you happen to remember how much the cab ride was? 5-10 min would have to mean it wasn't too far.... And did you enjoy Vigie? Chairs and umbrella rentals available? And bathrooms, I will assume....

Again, thanks.

Vigie has been revamped as of Dec last year. Thete is now a boardwalk with multiple food outlets with full meals and snacks if various types, bars, cocktails, tables, restrooms and showers. Chairs available, as noted above. Minimal umbrellas for shade as they're not necessary - there's tons of shade available all down the beach - tons.

Taxi should be around $10-12 one way. You can either arrange a time for pickup or there are drivers available there also to return you.

You can walk also, maybe 20-30 minutes walk, directions listed in several other posts on here...

• 3 months later...
Is the taxi available to take us right to the boardwalk/chair vendors or is it a "walk" to get to them? Have a couple of folks in our group that don't walk well.

Thanks.

I sort of recall from our 12/2016 visit that you had to walk through the market adjacent to the pier (if using berths 3&4) to get to ground transportation. But I wasn’t looking for dealing with mobility needs. If you don’t get an answer here, ask your cruise staff. They should have current info.

Is the taxi available to take us right to the boardwalk/chair vendors or is it a "walk" to get to them? Have a couple of folks in our group that don't walk well.

Thanks.

Yes, taxi will take right onto the beach where rhe chair vendors and boardwalk is located.

You'll have to exit the cruise terminals to catch a cab, which will involve a couple minutes walk through the shops. The taxis aren't waiting right on the pier.

Yes, taxi will take right onto the beach where rhe chair vendors and boardwalk is located.

You'll have to exit the cruise terminals to catch a cab, which will involve a couple minutes walk through the shops. The taxis aren't waiting right on the pier.

Thanks so much! I am familiar with the cruise areas....both Pointe Seraphine and the "industrial" terminal....the walking there is fine. Just didn't then want a long walk to chairs, etc once we got out of taxi at the beach.

• 4 weeks later...

best regards

castro

We'll be there on Wed Jan 31st. 2 people. Hope you'll be there and we can get chairs from you.