Civitavecchia

Evening. How close is Civitavecchia to the port and is it a nice place to visit (did a quick search of what to do there and sounded quite good). Is it just a short taxi ride away? Cheers.
Its usually a free bus in but can be walked, its a nice little town to have a walk round and a nice beach and promenade lots of cafes.[emoji2]

Sent from my VF-895N using Forums mobile app

Its usually a free bus in but can be walked, its a nice little town to have a walk round and a nice beach and promenade lots of cafes.[emoji2]

This internet site. Whatsinport.com Is a really good site for info on pretty much any port, it has helped us so much when researching itineraries.

They provide free shuttles as the port isn’t really pedestrian friendly. Unfortunately they now drop off at a car park to the north of the town so there is a bit of a walk to the centre and beach but not too bad.

Can I ask, is there a reason you don’t want to use that port stop to visit Rome?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you are not planning to head off on excursions I'd recommend the short trip to the old walled city of Tarquinia, a designated UN World Heritage site, well worth a visit.

Straightforward DIY - I drafted some guidelines a couple or so years ago and have saved them, as attached.

Just make sure you know where to get the bus tickets, and the correct bus stop location for the outward journey - getting back is easy, the bus leaves from the central stop where you get off.

Tarquinia from Civitavecchia.doc

Thank you for the replies.

kevinyork.... Unfortunately, due to 2 broken metatarsals, we won't be able to do the planned trip to Rome on the Express To Rome (done twice before) or Rome On Your Own. Did think of doing the easy on the legs trip but think will stay local. So looks like a shuttle bus / taxi.

Thank you for the replies.

kevinyork.... Unfortunately, due to 2 broken metatarsals, we won't be able to do the planned trip to Rome on the Express To Rome (done twice before) or Rome On Your Own. Did think of doing the easy on the legs trip but think will stay local. So looks like a shuttle bus / taxi.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

The free shuttle used to drop you at the port gate which is in the town centre and the promenade started just to the right. Unfortunately during some port works they started taking people to a car park slightly out of town and you had to walk to reach the centre or take a bus there or to the railway station. The port works are finished and they don’t seem to want to switch it back. I read on another forum that it may be pressure from the bus company but am not sure.

Is that walkway through the port?

where exactly is that coach drop car park?

The shuttle drop off is at “fermata bus Navetta”. If you search for that in google maps it will come up.

It’s convenient that it’s the bus service terminal so they get the onward journey payments.

You can walk from the ship to the port gate but dependent on the birth that could be up to 3/4 mile.

Is that walkway through the port?

where exactly is that coach drop car park?

The normal cruise ship dock is not industrial its a pleasant walk, if not raining, along the road taken by the coaches/shuttle bus, at the end of the road, as stated, the prom is on the right and if you cross the road you are in the town. We have seen ships docked on the opposite side of the port which does look more commercial and a distance from the town but never known Thomson/Marella in that dock think its used mainly by the ferries.