Hawaii 2020 - Eurodam or Princess?

toriasloan

Currently waiting for the 2020 Hawaiian cruises in the Sept/Oct time frame and am trying to decide which cruise line would be the better choice. I've been on HAL before and loved every minute of it, even though I'm slightly younger than what seemed to be the general age range, it was perfect for me because I enjoy being around an older crowd. But I've heard that the same could be said for Princess, as my parents have traveled on both lines and enjoyed both lines. I'm treating them both to this cruise as well and was pretty much told they enjoy both lines so it's my call, which was of no help. So I guess I'm just curious what others opinion who have cruised to Hawaii on either line or both, is.

For me it would come down to what ship Princess is sailing to Hawaii, and how it compares to the Eurodam, and the price of the cruise. You will be fine on either line. When I sailed to Hawaii I went on Carnival to save money, and had a great time. It's an older crowd on their longer cruises.

Roz

The convenience of Holland America's departure from San Diego is far superior than sailing from Los Angeles. San Diego's airport is just 15 minutes from the port, and waterfront hotels line the harbor. The downtown cruise ship terminal is walking distance from many hotels, restaurants and shops. The proximity of the airport to the pier is also a post-cruise benefit when disembarking and transferring back to the airport. An added bonus is the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum which is just two piers over from the cruise ship terminal and well worth a visit (it's San Diego's most popular tourist attraction).

Is there a difference in itineraries ? Some HAL cruises overnight in Honolulu. Also, compare the route around the the Big Island. Seeing the volcanic activity from the ship is an unforgettable experience.

My own rule - always take the smallest ship - less impact on the port. To drill down a choice among "equals" even further, I also check the ports visited to learn how many other ships are in port the same day - my other rule, the fewer the better.

We did Princess to Hawaii, and it remains one of my most favorite cruises to date. The sea days going had Hawaii themed activities like lei making and ukulele lessons. You do have to get there early, though, because they fill up fast! There was a Hawaii lecturer onboard and a Hawaiian musical duo throughout the cruise. The crew even wore Hawaiian shirts. Coming home, the activities were more normal cruise ones. I think you’d be happy on either cruise line, but I’d recommend Princess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did Princess to Hawaii, and it remains one of my most favorite cruises to date. The sea days going had Hawaii themed activities like lei making and ukulele lessons. You do have to get there early, though, because they fill up fast! There was a Hawaii lecturer onboard and a Hawaiian musical duo throughout the cruise. The crew even wore Hawaiian shirts. Coming home, the activities were more normal cruise ones. I think you’d be happy on either cruise line, but I’d recommend Princess.

Pretty much what we also had on HAL to Hawaii and the SP.

Currently waiting for the 2020 Hawaiian cruises in the Sept/Oct time frame and am trying to decide which cruise line would be the better choice. I've been on HAL before and loved every minute of it, even though I'm slightly younger than what seemed to be the general age range, it was perfect for me because I enjoy being around an older crowd. But I've heard that the same could be said for Princess, as my parents have traveled on both lines and enjoyed both lines. I'm treating them both to this cruise as well and was pretty much told they enjoy both lines so it's my call, which was of no help. So I guess I'm just curious what others opinion who have cruised to Hawaii on either line or both, is.

We have sailed three times to Hawaii, twice on Holland and once on Princess, the Princess cruise was just this last April 2018. We went with Princess as that sailing date worked the best for most of our group of 8. Guests on both lines are mostly older, lots of scooters, wheelchairs. We are in our fifties and did find quite a few people in our age range. Hawaiian style activities offered on both. Very similiar. My preference is Holland only because you overnight in Honolulu and sometimes get an extra port for example Kona. I think why travel on Princess, 5 sea days, four port days then five days back. Holland, five sea days, 6 port days, five sea days. That is what makes the difference, the two extra days, otherwise the two are pretty similar.

I think it depends on which ship you are sailing on Princess. I have sailed on the Grand Princess out of San Francisco and really didn’t care for the

Grand. The cruise was fine.

Itinerary on Holland is better. The cabins are nicer on HAL. Princess has a self serv laundry mat and Hal doesn’t. The laundry package is great on Hal. If your parents or you are 4 star you would get free laundry.

The food on Hal was better. More entertainment options on Princess on the Hawaii cruise. Food is subjective and can vary from Ship to Ship.

I have done Hawaii twice on Hal and once on princess.

I am doing Hawaii again on the Eurodam out of Seattle and returning to Vancouver next month.

Sometimes, Princess is cheaper going to Hawaii because the have more sailings between sailing from San Francisco and Los Angelos.

Not that you asked but our Norwegian Hawaii was wonderful on Pride of America because it docks in Honolulu so a 7 day cruise really is 7 days spend in Hawaiian ports. It is the only line that does that. We spent a week in Honolulu and then a week aboard followed by a week in Kauai. Also, the coffee is the best, used Kona coffee from the Island. Not a biggy for everyone but having an espresso machine available with quality coffee for use made our mornings!

IMHO, the main attraction of Princess is the price point. It's inexpensive. But you get what you pay for. Our experience on Princess has been very crowded ships with packed public areas. For example one has to arrive an hour before the show to get a seat in the theater. Long waits for crowded elevators. Mediocre food in the dining rooms. High school cafeteria food in the buffet. HAL is quite a step above all that, but is probably more expensive. Do you want an inexpensive fun getaway (Princess), or something at a bit higher level at a higher price?

If HAL offers an 18 day Hawaii from San Diego (with a Honolulu overnight, late night in Maui and both Hilo and Kona along with Kauai) in the time you wish to travel that would be my first choice over a 15 day itinerary on any Princess ship. The extended port times in Honolulu and Maui and additional port (Kona) are a win-win in my book. Konigsdam will be on the west coast in summer 2020 for Alaska, so there is a chance that ship could be used to Hawaii for fall/winter/spring 2020- 2021 instead of Eurodam.

For me it would come down to what ship Princess is sailing to Hawaii, and how it compares to the Eurodam, and the price of the cruise. You will be fine on either line. When I sailed to Hawaii I went on Carnival to save money, and had a great time. It's an older crowd on their longer cruises.

Roz

I think during the times I'm looking it's either Grand, Emerald or Star. I've looked into Carnival since that's the line I've done the most cruises on, my only issue with them is finding one that includes Kauai. And my mom said the same thing, longer cruises are usually more older crowds. I'm lucky to have a job that gives me a lot of slack when it comes to vacation time.

The convenience of Holland America's departure from San Diego is far superior than sailing from Los Angeles. San Diego's airport is just 15 minutes from the port, and waterfront hotels line the harbor. The downtown cruise ship terminal is walking distance from many hotels, restaurants and shops. The proximity of the airport to the pier is also a post-cruise benefit when disembarking and transferring back to the airport. An added bonus is the USS Midway aircraft carrier museum which is just two piers over from the cruise ship terminal and well worth a visit (it's San Diego's most popular tourist attraction).

Is there a difference in itineraries ? Some HAL cruises overnight in Honolulu. Also, compare the route around the the Big Island. Seeing the volcanic activity from the ship is an unforgettable experience.

San Diego is where I was hoping to go out of because it's been a while since I've been in that area and can get some decently priced flights out that way from Cleveland. For the most part the itineraries are the same, just some include Kauai and some don't. I'm pretty dead set on Kauai being included in the islands that we go to, however.

And thank you, I will keep that in mind. I would love to be able to see the volcanic activity. My parents have already been to Hawaii and my dad still talks about his experience and that was over 20 years ago.

My own rule - always take the smallest ship - less impact on the port. To drill down a choice among "equals" even further, I also check the ports visited to learn how many other ships are in port the same day - my other rule, the fewer the better.

See you and my mother are a lot alike in that aspect. She loves smaller ships and she loves a lot less crowds. We're going on the Horizon together in 67 days and she's already complaining that she knows there will be too many people.

Thank you, I'll keep that in mind. Princess is one of the lines I've been meaning to try just have always found better deals elsewhere. And it would be really interesting to get to experience those Hawaii themed activities.

We have sailed three times to Hawaii, twice on Holland and once on Princess, the Princess cruise was just this last April 2018. We went with Princess as that sailing date worked the best for most of our group of 8. Guests on both lines are mostly older, lots of scooters, wheelchairs. We are in our fifties and did find quite a few people in our age range. Hawaiian style activities offered on both. Very similiar. My preference is Holland only because you overnight in Honolulu and sometimes get an extra port for example Kona. I think why travel on Princess, 5 sea days, four port days then five days back. Holland, five sea days, 6 port days, five sea days. That is what makes the difference, the two extra days, otherwise the two are pretty similar.

As a person that is more into ports than sea days I'd probably lean more toward HAL for that reason alone. I don't mind sea days, of course, but I love having more port options because I want to experience everything I can in the area i'm visiting. Plus I do like the idea of staying overnight in Honolulu as well.

I think it depends on which ship you are sailing on Princess. I have sailed on the Grand Princess out of San Francisco and really didn’t care for the

Grand. The cruise was fine.

Itinerary on Holland is better. The cabins are nicer on HAL. Princess has a self serv laundry mat and Hal doesn’t. The laundry package is great on Hal. If your parents or you are 4 star you would get free laundry.

The food on Hal was better. More entertainment options on Princess on the Hawaii cruise. Food is subjective and can vary from Ship to Ship.

I have done Hawaii twice on Hal and once on princess.

I am doing Hawaii again on the Eurodam out of Seattle and returning to Vancouver next month.

Sometimes, Princess is cheaper going to Hawaii because the have more sailings between sailing from San Francisco and Los Angelos.

I've had a few family members tell me they were not a fan of the Grand so that was part of what hand me wary. But thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I've heard a lot of great feedback on the Eurodam though, and so far when I've mocked booked the prices are right around the same. Though I'll admit that price will play a decent factor since I'll be paying for the whole cruise.

Not that you asked but our Norwegian Hawaii was wonderful on Pride of America because it docks in Honolulu so a 7 day cruise really is 7 days spend in Hawaiian ports. It is the only line that does that. We spent a week in Honolulu and then a week aboard followed by a week in Kauai. Also, the coffee is the best, used Kona coffee from the Island. Not a biggy for everyone but having an espresso machine available with quality coffee for use made our mornings!

I have really heard great things about Pride of America and I really am a fan of Norwegian, especially because they always have those amazing deals where you get the unlimited drinking package as a perk. I also love Kona coffee so that would be a perk for me as well. I did have that option in my mind as well, my only thing is I really like the idea of taking the long journey. I'm curious to see how much I'll like all the days at sea.

I have really heard great things about Pride of America and I really am a fan of Norwegian, especially because they always have those amazing deals where you get the unlimited drinking package as a perk. I also love Kona coffee so that would be a perk for me as well. I did have that option in my mind as well, my only thing is I really like the idea of taking the long journey. I'm curious to see how much I'll like all the days at sea.

Due to Hawaii state liquor laws the NCL Hawaii cruises do not offer an alcohol package of any kind - either free or paid. Just an FYI

IMHO, the main attraction of Princess is the price point. It's inexpensive. But you get what you pay for. Our experience on Princess has been very crowded ships with packed public areas. For example one has to arrive an hour before the show to get a seat in the theater. Long waits for crowded elevators. Mediocre food in the dining rooms. High school cafeteria food in the buffet. HAL is quite a step above all that, but is probably more expensive. Do you want an inexpensive fun getaway (Princess), or something at a bit higher level at a higher price?

So far when I've done a few mock bookings just to get an idea, Princess and HAL haven't been that far off in price. There was one thing that really annoyed my dad about Princess and it's the fact that they they didn't have free ice cream on the ship he was on. He's easy to please, so that's always bugged him. He and my mom have sailed with HAL the most though and they really do like them better. I think they just went with the 'well you're paying for it...so it should be your choice' thing. So in the end I can see myself more learning toward HAL, but I do appreciate every single bit of feedback I've gotten.

If HAL offers an 18 day Hawaii from San Diego (with a Honolulu overnight, late night in Maui and both Hilo and Kona along with Kauai) in the time you wish to travel that would be my first choice over a 15 day itinerary on any Princess ship. The extended port times in Honolulu and Maui and additional port (Kona) are a win-win in my book. Konigsdam will be on the west coast in summer 2020 for Alaska, so there is a chance that ship could be used to Hawaii for fall/winter/spring 2020- 2021 instead of Eurodam.

It's finding a cruise that includes Kauai in my time frame that I can vacation that has been the so far struggle because Kauai is pretty much a must for me. I've heard good things about Eurodam, but it would be kind of awesome to do one of the newer ships. I love newer ships, where my parents are more geared toward the older ones. I contacted HAL a few days ago about when the 2020 cruises would be out to book and they said December, but I could do a future cruise request if I like. But I've never done that before so I'm always wary about new things like that. Thank you though for your feedback, that 18 day one sounds pretty amazing and exactly what I'm looking for.

Just a heads up about Kauai: sometimes the ship cannot dock. The entrance to the small harbor is tricky if there are high seas. We have had to skip our Kauai stop at least twice during our cruises to Hawaii that have been scheduled to stop there.

Just a heads up about Kauai: sometimes the ship cannot dock. The entrance to the small harbor is tricky if there are high seas. We have had to skip our Kauai stop at least twice during our cruises to Hawaii that have been scheduled to stop there.

Thank you for the heads up! I didn't know that would be a concern, I'm glad I do now.

Additionally - Lahaina and Kona are both tender ports, so if seas are too rough they can also be missed. When doing an itinerary like the Hawaiian islands where 3 of the 5 major ports could be skipped, you have to be flexible with your expectations! For those who MUST visit certain ports/islands they may be better served by doing a land based, island hopper, type of trip

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that HAL's fleet speed is a tad lower than Princess, so you'll likely end up with one

additional day a sea.

I'll not guess whether that's a plus or minus for you.