Community Contest: School's Out for Summer!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Community Contests

Weekly Contest

Have fun with weekly contests.  Win cool Cruise Critic prizes.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:51 AM.
Ewing, NJ
2,501 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Remember when we were kids - most of us had a good chunk of time for summer break. I could remember counting down the days starting from Spring Break on.

What was your favorite part about the lazy days of summer as a kid?

I loved being outside literally all day long. Even lunch and dinner were outside most of the time. A whole neighborhood of kids playing any games we could think of, going to the pool, playing at the park. I loved the freedom of no schedules and days full of social interaction.

How about you?

Post your response as a reply for a chance to win this week's prizes. A few winners will be selected randomly from all who participate. While all are welcome to participate, At this time we can only ship within the US. I can offer a coupon to our store for those who reside outside of the US. Thanks for understanding.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Jenn
Senior Community Support
Contact Us

Submit your cruise review with photos for a chance to win Cruise Critic Logo gear. A prize is awarded weekly.
central florida coast
1,334 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
My favorite summer activity was bike riding with friends to bottle-hunt. The deposit on soda bottles was fun spending money.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Mardi Gras, RCCL Song of America, RCCL Monarch of the Seas 2X, Celebrity Horizon, RCCL Sovereign of the Seas 2X, Celebrity Century 2X, RCCL Navigator of the Seas, Celebrity Solstice, Celebrity Eclipse, Celebrity Millennium, Grand Princess, Carnival Sensation, Celebrity Equinox, Disney Dream, RCCL Enchantment of the Seas, Oceania Riviera, Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Silhouette
To come: January 2016 Celebrity Eclipse
To come: January 2017 Holland America Konigsdam
155 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
Yes, definitely being outside from early morning until the street lights came on. Playing hide and seek, riding bikes, imaginations running wild as we would "hike" the creek all the way to the lake (a whole three blocks or so), walking to the corner store that sold penny and nickel candy, having popsicles and all the fresh summer fruit (some with pits convenient to spitting contests lol). Our family had a pool so our yard was always a place of activity, and eating outside every chance possible was just how everybody did it. If we were lucky enough to have company from overseas that summer, we'd have a trip to the dairy bar for ice cream sundaes or banana splits (this was not a regular activity by any stretch, it was just too pricey). Oh, and I used to love those hot sticky nights where my mom would let us run out and get wet in the pool in the middle of the night, or let us "camp out" in front of the open patio door. You know, when sleeping on the floor was an adventure, not a hardship, lol....

As I sit here at my desk, looking out the window at the beautiful day, I so miss those summers.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
7 Posts
Joined May 2017
I would spend my summers with my grandparents at a Boy Scout camp in upstate NY....lazy days of fishing, boating, swimming, hiking, etc. Lots of great memories from those summers.
Washington State
2 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
I grew up in foster care in Washington state. The weather was always hit or miss for summer. But I do remember camping, fishing and just running around like a crazy person. After all the long days being cooped up in a class room or at home with all the rain. Just being outside and able to have an adventure was worth the whole 9 months of inside!
143 Posts
Joined Mar 2017
I loved spending time at my lakehouse with good friends and family. Every year, my neighbor would invite us over to watch the 4th Of July fireworks that he set off for the whole community in his backyard! The views were gorgeous!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Virginia
3,937 Posts
Joined Apr 2010
I also counted down the days. We were ALWAYS outside, even after my family got Atari. We rode bikes; pick-up games of baseball; fishing in the creek or the pond; played hide and seek and kick the can at night; swam; played in the creek behind our house; played in the woods; I played little league softball and it was baseball for my brothers; had the sleep overs with neighborhood kids where we'd actually sleep out on decks/in camping trailers outside...sometimes sneaking off for some "mischief" (soaping, toilet papering...nothing destructive though cause it could easily be narrowed down to "who did it"). There were also those times sitting around with neighborhood kids and we had nothing to do. We'd say "what do you wanna do" and they'd respond "I don't know. What do you wanna do?". We'd finally come up with something.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

CARNIVAL LIBERTY - September 20 - 27, 2015 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); LIBERTY 2015 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2275573
CARNIVAL LIBERTY - April 5 - 12, 2014 (Western Caribbean: Miami, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman...missed port, Miami); LIBERTY 2014 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2039919
CARNIVAL VALOR - May 5 - 12, 2013 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten, San Juan); VALOR 2013 REVIEW: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1917645
CARNIVAL GLORY - May 9 - 16, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean: Miami, HMC Bahamas, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk, Miami)
CARNIVAL MIRACLE - March 12 - 19, 2006 (Western Caribbean: Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Tampa)
Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas - January 16 - 23, 2000 (Mexican Riviera: Los Angeles, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Los Angeles)
CARNIVAL FESTIVALE - June 14 - 21, 1992 (Southern Caribbean: San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, Dominica, Barbados, Martinique, San Juan)

19 Posts
Joined May 2017
I loved the mornings. It was wonderful to not feel rushed. I enjoyed participating in the activities of the summer recreation program, and then heading back home to watch old black and white movies. After a quick lunch, I was ready to spend the remainder of the afternoon at the public pool. If a good movie was showing, my family might head out to the drive-in movie for the evening.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
NCL Jewel 2013 & 2014; NCL Pearl 2015; NCL Jade 2016; NCL Dawn 2016; NCL Sun 2017
Ohio
27 Posts
Joined Feb 2017
My favorite thing about summer was sleeping in and spending the whole day out riding bikes or playing ball in the backyard with my cousins.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melbourne, Australia
16 Posts
Joined Oct 2016
Spending quality time at my Grandfather's side and doing whatever he was doing.
Running around with bare feet, getting dirty and simply being a kid in the Australian sun.
Wonderful memories of a simpler time.
South Jersey
2,303 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
My fondest memories of summer were smelling the morning and evening summer fresh air from my bedroom open window ( no air conditioners in my day ). Packing picnic lunches and gong on Sunday rides into the mountains with my family and swimming in the mountain streams. Walking in rain puddings after a summer rain. Catching lightening bugs....I could write a book.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Home Lines Atlantic 5/1988 Bermuda.............................Disney Wonder 10/1998 Bahamas
Carnival Triumph 7/2002 Nova Scotia /Canada.............Carnival Legend 10/2003 Caribbean
NCL - Dawn 1/2005 Caribbean NCL ............................NCL Gem 1/2010 - Eastern Caribbean
NCL Breakaway 1/2018 Western Caribbean.......

Those who say you can't take it with you, never saw my luggage packed for a cruise!
Columbus, OH
47 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
My favorite memories were spending the whole day at the pool! I had swim team practice at 7am every morning then I'd ride my bike home, go back to sleep for a couple of hours, eat a quick lunch and ride my bike back to the pool till closing time. I was like a fish. I couldn't get enough of the water.
Crab Orchard, WV
13 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Swimming and more swimming! Luckily I'm a teacher so I get to spend my summers off with my kids making memories!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
14 Posts
Joined Nov 2015
My favorite part of summer was going to our local swimming pool with my friends. We all had passess to the pool (I had to work for mine...use my allowance to purchase the pass), and we were there every day. One of my best childhood memories!
Rhode Island
180 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Weekend trips to the beach! My Dad would round up my brother and me and our cousins and friends and take us all to the beach for the whole day. We were all skinny then, and a lot of kids could fit into the land-yacht sedans that he drove back in the days of cheap gas and optional seat-belts. (We all survived, including Dad, who is 83 and still going strong.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Galaxy Southern Caribbean 11/2001
Century Western Caribbean 2/2004
Splendour OTS Western Mediterranean 11/2005
Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean 9/23/07
Star Princess Alaska 9/7/08
NCL Jade Eastern Mediterranean 1/25/09
NCL Spirit Boston - Quebec City 9/25/10
NCL Dawn Boston - Bermuda 10/18/13

ocala, fl. usa
476 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
My favorite time is when school was out & my friend I would go in the ally behind the AIRLANE LIQUOR store in CHICAGO, one of us would climb the back fence & toos over the fence 3 or quart soda bottles then bring them around the front of the store & get the deposit ( 5 cents a bottle ) Now for the IRONY of the story, I married the owner of the liquor stores daughter. No I never told my father-inlaw about our escapades
PS we will be married 60yrs on JUNE 30th

george35
New York
5,768 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Originally posted by CC Help Jenn
Remember when we were kids - most of us had a good chunk of time for summer break. I could remember counting down the days starting from Spring Break on.

What was your favorite part about the lazy days of summer as a kid?

I loved being outside literally all day long. Even lunch and dinner were outside most of the time. A whole neighborhood of kids playing any games we could think of, going to the pool, playing at the park. I loved the freedom of no schedules and days full of social interaction.

How about you?

Post your response as a reply for a chance to win this week's prizes. A few winners will be selected randomly from all who participate. While all are welcome to participate, At this time we can only ship within the US. I can offer a coupon to our store for those who reside outside of the US. Thanks for understanding.

A chance to spend some time down at the Jersey shore and the beach and collect sea shells to add to my collection.

MARAPRINCE
1,422 Posts
Joined Apr 2013
Just being outside all day with my friends. At night all the neighbors would sit on their stoops and watch the kids play. It was always like one big block party.
3 Posts
Joined Jun 2017
Some of my fondest memories of my childhood summers were playing in the neighborhood with my friends. We lived in a "neighborhood" consisting of 13 houses...everyone knew everyone. There were 6 girls- 3 my age, 3 my sisters - I imagine there were boys too, but we didn't really play with them One summer we put on a "circus" in the back yard and charged everyone 25 cents for admission - everyone in the neighborhood came. It was quite a grand event! So much fun!

Cathy