3-4 Must-pack non-standard items!

cruisincup

I would like to hear from everyone on what you think the 3-4 must-pack items that maybe most people wouldn't think about (ie - everyone knows to pack clothes, various toiletries, etc.). I'm looking for the 3-4 out of the ordinary things that you've found to be life-savers while cruising.

Thank you!

I would like to hear from everyone on what you think the 3-4 must-pack items that maybe most people wouldn't think about (ie - everyone knows to pack clothes, various toiletries, etc.). I'm looking for the 3-4 out of the ordinary things that you've found to be life-savers while cruising.

Thank you!

1. Binoculars

2. Thermos for big fill up of morning coffee

3. If you are taking electronics, power strip, AND a 3 prong to 2 prong jack

4. Lots of cash, especially one dollar bills

Nothing at all. In more than 20 years of cruising we only pack our clothing, medication, jewelry, cosmetics, etc...just the normal everyday things. We've never had the need for some of the stuff I read about here like duct tape.

I couldn’t agree more, that stuff is all nonsense! I never take anything special and have never once said I wish I would had brought something.

I want things to be different than my everyday life is while on vacation, I see no need to pack my everyday life into a suitcase, I am coming back to it way faster than I want to anyway.

My 93 days were on three trips. 44 days on the Ocean Princess from Shanghai to Rome, 7 days on the Carnival Fantasy for our 25th anniversary with family and 42 days on the Dawn Princess circumnavigationg Australia and sailing to the South Pacific. The short cruise we had a suite, the long ones, we were in a balcony cabin.

I always carry a small flashlight attached to my lanyard. Never know when the ship will go dark.

There ya go. Remembering that Carnival ship that was stranded in November 2010 has actually changed the way I cruise and even take hotel rooms now. Like you, not wanting to be caught in the dark, I take a small penlight flashlight with us and keep it in the bedside table of all hotel rooms and ship cabins. I put it in my purse when I fly. You just never know. :)

The things I've had to buy in cruise ships are all items I'd missed packing for some silly reason...a new hairbrush; elastoplasts, sinus sticks- and even cottons socks!

After a spectacular spectacles accident...( Elastoplast purchase for that!:mad:), I always pack spare specs, and a spectacle repair kit....and a denture repair kit, too!

Jo.

I have never actually taking any along, but years of following CC suggest that you will never know when you might need it.

I once took a powerstrip with me and did not need it. Most of the suggested stuff you won't need.

We spent 93 days on cruise ships last year and did not bring any of the above.

I agree to a point. The duct tape and "over the door thingy" are ridiculous, IMO.(I actually thought that the over the door thingy might be useful and looked for one at Macy's and Walmart. They are expensive and bulkie and I decided that, for me, not worth it.)

But to sail without binoculars??? Never!! LLBean has a powerful Nikon with LLBean label that is small and reasonably priced. It is so interesting for me to see all that is out there on land and at sea.

I take the hanging shoe holder thing~ use it everytime~ great for keeping things that get used often off the counter. I put my S&S card in it, my camera, my sunglasses, $1 for tips, any excursion tickets. While some people might not need it, for us it works great. Mine just has a loop that I hang on a suction cup with a hook attached to the mirror in the bedroom~

I also bring duct tape and use it every single cruise~

Best thing to do is pack what you want, it's not going to hurt anyone elses cruise and if you use it then you know to pack it again, if you don't use it, don't take it next time~!

I couldn’t agree more, that stuff is all nonsense! I never take anything special and have never once said I wish I would had brought something.

I want things to be different than my everyday life is while on vacation, I see no need to pack my everyday life into a suitcase, I am coming back to it way faster than I want to anyway.

I always have a short, folded on itself flat piece of ducktape in any suitcase. i have used it many times. Once to hold torn down curtain so facing neighbors could not see in room. Fixed a piece of vanity coming off thet had badly scratches my DIL on the leg; taped ( tiny piece) my sunglasses after I broke them by sitting on them etc. But I guess your comments about nonsense were towards people who carry really big amount of it. What I carry...and use... is very small and definetely doesn't represent my everyday life.

I'd be willing to bet that was multiple cruises, not one long one.

I can't wait to be at the point of life that I could be away that long on different trips.

me too. and i could find plenty of places too hang out besides the cabin :D.

Archived