Dinner in Southampton

We are staying at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Drivein Southampton pre-cruise. Does anyone know a good local place for a some good dinner and a few pints or ale? Like to experience local places that aren't tourist traps. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

Southampton isn't a tourist city, so there aren't really any tourist-traps in the city.

A big dining and leisure venue opened this year adjacent the West Quay mall. A new building with lots of eateries that you can browse very easily. More than a dozen evening restaurants spread over two levels, many with outside dining.

They tend to attract the younger set.

https://www.west-quay.co.uk/dining

(that list includes fast-food courts in the shopping mall, so you need to sift thro the list)

If you want something more traditional, consider ...................

George's. On Castle Way. George has been around for so many years that he's become something of a Southampton institution. Excellent Greek food, very reasonable prices, don't be dissuaded by the building & décor which are pretty unprepossessing.

Coriander Lounge nearby on High Street is a well-respected Indian restaurant.

Ennio's (Italian) and its next-door neighbour La Regata (Spanish) are on Town Quay. Almost opposite them, in the Royal Pier pavilion is Kuti's (Thai).

All three are very good, but more expensive.

For good pub restaurants......

The Duke of Wellington. Attractive historic building on Bugle Street, just up from Town Quay., good food, good atmosphere, sensible prices, popular with cruisers and locals alike.

Platform Tavern on Town Quay. A little more basic surroundings, decent food, sensible prices, often has live music.

Dancing Man. Another attractive old building (Wool House, dating from about 1300) on the corner of Town Quay and Bugle Street. Incorporates a micro-brewery, food is good but a rather short menu (their beef rag-and-bone is my favourite)

All the above are within a 5 to 10 minute walk from H.I.

There's also a clutch of restaurants & bars in Oxford Street - including "the Grapes", where four crewmen from Titanic got drunk and missed the sailing. About a 15 to 20 minute walk from H.I.

If you were me, I'd have a pre- dinner drink in the Dancing Man, then walk round the corner to the Duke of Wellington for dinner.

But you're not me, so check those various places on the web - you'll find priced menus for most.

Bear in mind that most kitchens close about 9pm and for some it's best to pre-book (no commitment) for Friday or Saturday evening.

Most restaurants in Southampton don't add a service charge (like I said, its not a tourist city).

If it does, just the service charge will do & no need to tip.

If there's no service charge, the norm for good full service is no more than 10%, less for partial service (such as ordering food at the bar in some pubs.)

We Brits don't tip bar-tenders. Though if you're in a quiet bar (mebbe the hotel bar) and you and the bar-tender spend some time sorting out the world's problems then it's quite normal to buy the bar-tender a drink.

JB :)

We are staying at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker Drivein Southampton pre-cruise. Does anyone know a good local place for a some good dinner and a few pints or ale? Like to experience local places that aren't tourist traps. Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

we really enjoyed the Duke of Wellington. The food was really good and the staff were fabulous. You won't be disappointed.

Barb

• 4 weeks later...

We will probably being staying at the Premiere Inn in Southampton for our 1 night pre-cruise. We were recommended to dine at Red Lion Pub for traditional British food and great Fish/chips. Is the Red lion Pub within walking distance or would we be better to try the Duke of Wellington?

Thank You

We will probably being staying at the Premiere Inn in Southampton for our 1 night pre-cruise. We were recommended to dine at Red Lion Pub for traditional British food and great Fish/chips. Is the Red lion Pub within walking distance or would we be better to try the Duke of Wellington?

Thank You

The Red Lion is only about a ten minute walk from P I West Quay.

A small but attractive and historic pub. Food is OK, prices are very reasonable.

IMHO the place needs a little TLC - despite its history and its High Street location it's more of a locals' pub.

Certainly worth popping in for a drink at least.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186299-d2188432-Reviews-The_Red_Lion_Pub-Southampton_Hampshire_England.html

If you take this route. behind the Grand Harbour Hotel & thro the city wall at West Gate (alongside the Pig-in-the-Wall), it takes you past the Duke of Wellington so you can sus out the Duke on your way.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Premier+Inn+Southampton+West+Quay,+Harbour+Parade,+Southampton+SO15+1BA/The+Red+Lion,+High+Street,+Southampton/@50.9001862,-1.4082329,17z/data=!4m19!4m18!1m10!1m1!1s0x487476b326dce843:0x5b148d8f44ed4023!2m2!1d-1.4081072!2d50.9019615!3m4!1m2!1d-1.4072603!2d50.8990645!3s0x487476c8269c8c8b:0x1343fc892bbf0a94!1m5!1m1!1s0x487476c9f05ef155:0x79ef2020002ee23d!2m2!1d-1.4037256!2d50.8989553!3e2

ps Take care when researching the Red Lion on the 'web. There are two other Red Lion pubs in Southampton but this is the one which will have been recommended to you.

Thank You, in your opinion.... which Restaurant do you recommend for traditional British Pub food and atmosphere. Red Lion Club or Duke of Wellington?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In easy walking distance from Premier Inn I guess the most likely is the Duke of Wellington, which kinda ticks all the boxes.

Or down Bugle Street from D of W is the Dancing Man (better-known as the Wool House), on the corner of Town Quay. (no fish and chips here, though)

Or mebbe the Platform Tavern for atmosphere on a busy night - that's a couple or three hundred yards past the Dancing Man along Town Quay.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Duke+of+Wellington,+Bugle+Street,+Southampton/The+Dancing+Man+Brewery,+Bugle+Street,+Southampton/Platform+Tavern,+Town+Quay,+Southampton+SO14+2NY/@50.8976646,-1.4083441,17z/data=!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x487476c84aa6f739:0xed95fa535dada20b!2m2!1d-1.4062034!2d50.8983397!1m5!1m1!1s0x487476c85395c4fd:0x4b1421cfd1880d09!2m2!1d-1.4061379!2d50.8975005!1m5!1m1!1s0x487476c96165f431:0xe410cef48cdc9285!2m2!1d-1.403531!2d50.8963283!3e2

All are just a couple of minutes apart, so you can check out which you prefer.

In easy walking distance from Premier Inn I guess the most likely is the Duke of Wellington, which kinda ticks all the boxes.

Or down Bugle Street from D of W is the Dancing Man (better-known as the Wool House), on the corner of Town Quay. (no fish and chips here, though)

Or mebbe the Platform Tavern for atmosphere on a busy night - that's a couple or three hundred yards past the Dancing Man along Town Quay.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Duke+of+Wellington,+Bugle+Street,+Southampton/The+Dancing+Man+Brewery,+Bugle+Street,+Southampton/Platform+Tavern,+Town+Quay,+Southampton+SO14+2NY/@50.8976646,-1.4083441,17z/data=!4m20!4m19!1m5!1m1!1s0x487476c84aa6f739:0xed95fa535dada20b!2m2!1d-1.4062034!2d50.8983397!1m5!1m1!1s0x487476c85395c4fd:0x4b1421cfd1880d09!2m2!1d-1.4061379!2d50.8975005!1m5!1m1!1s0x487476c96165f431:0xe410cef48cdc9285!2m2!1d-1.403531!2d50.8963283!3e2

All are just a couple of minutes apart, so you can check out which you prefer.

Thank You so much for your help.

You are very well experienced with the layout of the area so can I ask you another question... if we take the Bus from Heathrow to Southampton, approx how far is bus station drop off from Premiere Inn?

Walking distance or will we need a taxi?

You are very well experienced with the layout of the area so can I ask you another question... if we take the Bus from Heathrow to Southampton, approx how far is bus station drop off from Premiere Inn?

It is a ten minute walk, so it may depend on how you feel, how much luggage you have and the weather. A taxi will cost around £10. (no tip required)

It is a ten minute walk, so it may depend on how you feel, how much luggage you have and the weather. A taxi will cost around £10. (no tip required)

Thanks, do taxis hang out around the bus station? With luggage that will be what we will do.

I'm assuming this is Premier Inn, West Quay - there are other Premier Inns in Southampton.

A ten minute walk at most. Very simple, level ground, sidewalk all the way. Not difficult with rolling luggage.

But if it's raining you may think differently.

There's a taxi rank at the coach station, though not always a cab when you need one. If there are taxis but too many folk ahead of you, butt in and ask a driver if he can whistle-up a taxi for you on his radio.

Premier Inn West Quay is so close that the fare may be the minimum fare, about £5.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/Southampton,+Coach+Station,+Harbour+Parade,+Southampton+SO15+1BA/Premier+Inn+Southampton+West+Quay,+Southampton/@50.9040243,-1.4130014,886m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x487476b09927bebd:0x1398739ab30734f5!2m2!1d-1.4089342!2d50.9061007!1m5!1m1!1s0x487476b326dce843:0x5b148d8f44ed4023!2m2!1d-1.4081072!2d50.9019615!3e2

• 3 weeks later...

John Bull, you are so full of knowledge! I appreciate your responses also. Can you tell me if all the restaurants you mention and the taxis take credit cards or the US dollar? Should I be getting some pounds before we come across the pond from the US? Thank you very much

John Bull, you are so full of knowledge! I appreciate your responses also. Can you tell me if all the restaurants you mention and the taxis take credit cards or the US dollar? Should I be getting some pounds before we come across the pond from the US? Thank you very much

UK is heading toward cashless.

Pubs and restaurants and shops and most other outlets, including all those mentioned, accept mastercard & visa, no worries.

But very very few outlets of any description accept AmEx or Diners Club, tho' probably more do in central London.

Taxis have always lagged behind in this respect because of wireless connection.

But they're catching up. Probably well over half of Southampton's taxis now, but do check before you board.

Currently most taxis charge a fee (3 to 4%?) for credit card use.

But hardly anywhere accepts Euros and possibly nowhere in Southampton accepts USD.

Currently most taxis charge a fee (3 to 4%?) for credit card use.

Charges for CC use are going to be banned; in April next year I believe. This may mean that more taxis will not want to accept them, especially for small amounts, or all fares will go up to compensate. We will have to see how it works out.

Charges for CC use are going to be banned; in April next year I believe. This may mean that more taxis will not want to accept them, especially for small amounts, or all fares will go up to compensate. We will have to see how it works out.

Hi Bob,

Yes, aware of the up-coming banning of cc charges.

In the early days of wireless POS terminals, mobile (cell) phone charges were high - but nowadays the charges are pretty inconsequential so taxi operators will be failing to gain rather than losing, if you catch my drift.

Can't imagine fewer taxis accepting cards, too many folk rely on plastic.

And the fares of hackney cabs (for non-Brits they're the ones you can hail in the street or pick up from a rank) are regulated.

Mebbe the private-hire cabs (the ones you have to phone for) will jack their prices up a tad, but it's a competitive business.

Why would you think that US dollars might be acceptable in the United Kingdom?:)

Because, my feathered friend, they're accepted in a lot of places in the world such as everywhere in the Caribbean & many places in S E Asia

Same as the euro is accepted in a lot of places adjacent to euroland.

Both currencies can be good "reserve" currencies when travelling.

But no, not in Blighty. ;)

Yes, aware of the up-coming banning of cc charges.

In the early days of wireless POS terminals, mobile (cell) phone charges were high - but nowadays the charges are pretty inconsequential so taxi operators will be failing to gain rather than losing, if you catch my drift.

Can't imagine fewer taxis accepting cards, too many folk rely on plastic.

And the fares of hackney cabs (for non-Brits they're the ones you can hail in the street or pick up from a rank) are regulated.

Mebbe the private-hire cabs (the ones you have to phone for) will jack their prices up a tad, but it's a competitive business.

In London the regulator has had to force black cabs to take cards after years of reluctance to install them, and even then the machines were frequently 'broken'.

The excuse that was always given was it was the cost of processing credit cards that made them undesirable for taxi drivers, however you have to wonder if it was more significant that card payments leave a paper trail and cash doesn't.