Corkage Fee: Will Princess Inventory My Wine?

need2cruisesoon

Guys, boarding the Regal next week.

Question, I am bringing a case or two of wines (whites/reds) on board when I check in.:wine-glass::wine-glass::wine-glass:

I want to give the wine (upon embarkation) to Guest Services to have them inventory my wine during the cruise. Preferably whites to be chilled at 45 degrees, reds at 60 degrees.

Will they do this? I don't want to carry bottles of wine around and prefer the server or sommelier retrieve my bottle either in the MDR or say Crooners bar.

Thanks, N2CSoon.

Question, I am bringing a case or two of wines (whites/reds) on board when I check in.:wine-glass::wine-glass::wine-glass:

I want to give the wine (upon embarkation) to Guest Services to have them inventory my wine during the cruise. Preferably whites to be chilled at 45 degrees, reds at 60 degrees.

Will they do this? I don't want to carry bottles of wine around and prefer the server or sommelier retrieve my bottle either in the MDR or say Crooners bar.

Thanks, N2CSoon.

Never heard of them doing that. I'm not sure they are that methodical about chilling wines to the appropriate temeratures. But let us know if you are successful with that. Good luck!

We only bring a paid corkage of bottle of wine in the MDR one at a time and ask the waiter to hold them when not finished. I guess they don’t store it at a certain maintained temperature and so much quantity of bottles. Am curious and will appreciate any feedback of what your experience will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, N2CSoon.

I don't think they will, but I hope they do for you. :)

Let us know if you have any luck.

I think this could lead to potential issues if they "lost" your wine. I can't imagine they want to deal with the liability.

I think the wine is meant to be taken to your cabin. You can chill it on ice in your cabin, and bring it into a dining venue where they will chill it in an ice bucket. I can understand your desire to have the white's more properly chilled, but I just don't see them doing this. It could become chaotic if everyone started giving them wine (cases) to store. I get the one bottle at a time they do if you buy it and don't finish, but I could see it quickly becoming unmanageable.

Good luck

I think that they will expect you to take care of your wine yourself. You will pay the $15 on every bottle except 2 (if there are 2 of you) and they will indicate on the bottle that the corkage has been paid.

If you intend to drink a bottle a night I suggest you take the Tuesday bottle with you on Monday and get them to store for you with the other "500 bottles" they have in the storerooms.

I think that they will expect you to take care of your wine yourself. You will pay the $15 on every bottle except 2 (if there are 2 of you) and they will indicate on the bottle that the corkage has been paid.

If you intend to drink a bottle a night I suggest you take the Tuesday bottle with you on Monday and get them to store for you with the other "500 bottles" they have in the storerooms.

Good solution for your solution:halo:

Thanks, N2CSoon.

Think you should have booked on Crystal not Princess.

Princess is a mass market cruise line, maybe a step up from Carnival....................... staff are trained to do one simple job repetitively, they are trained exactly how to do it, and no deviation.

If it isn't in their job description and the rule book don't expect them to be able to do anything.

It did not used to be like that of course.

Thanks, N2CSoon.

Sommelier????? What sommelier would that be? Ain't got no sommelier no more on Princess no way no how

You could probably store the reds in the cabin refrigerator (it keeps stuff cool, not cold) and ice down the whites (the steward will normally keep your ice bucket(s) full). You can get ice buckets from many of the bars (what they use for the buckets of beer).

You could probably store the reds in the cabin refrigerator (it keeps stuff cool, not cold) and ice down the whites (the steward will normally keep your ice bucket(s) full). You can get ice buckets from many of the bars (what they use for the buckets of beer).

Oh my, in Europe we drink red wines at room temperature, I had forgotten that in US everything has to be on ice, IMHO you don't get the true full flavor of most red wines if they are cold.

I haven't had a drink in nearly 20 years, but back in the day reds were served at room temperature and whites were chilled. When did that change?

"Room Temperature" from the old world back when was less than we think today. Mid to upper 60's F. You don't want to be going over 70F. Unfortunately many restaurants and such don't have coolers so you get the wine at the room temp and it isn't best. If too warm, the wine can be "flabby" - can't think of another word. So, a light chilling of a red that is kept at room temp is a good idea.

Whites are sometimes taken and served from a refrigeration unit that stores soda and beer and is too cold. Again, without a proper cooler, many whites can be at an inappropriate temp. The OP is looking for too cold a temp IMO. But again, different folks have different preferences, or what they have become used to. So, some whites at 45 perhaps but more full bodied up in the 50 - 55 range.

As for the OP's dream request, well Thurston needs to lower his expectations.

"Room Temperature" from the old world back when was less than we think today. Mid to upper 60's F. You don't want to be going over 70F. Unfortunately many restaurants and such don't have coolers so you get the wine at the room temp and it isn't best. If too warm, the wine can be "flabby" - can't think of another word. So, a light chilling of a red that is kept at room temp is a good idea.

Whites are sometimes taken and served from a refrigeration unit that stores soda and beer and is too cold. Again, without a proper cooler, many whites can be at an inappropriate temp. The OP is looking for too cold a temp IMO. But again, different folks have different preferences, or what they have become used to. So, some whites at 45 perhaps but more full bodied up in the 50 - 55 range.

As for the OP's dream request, well Thurston needs to lower his expectations.

^ this even the Thurston catch is spot on.

I hope the OP comes back after the cruise and reports his experience. It is an interesting idea.

My suggestion is to go to the Vines wine bar and, with some spendable motivation in hand, see if they would be willing to help you out. My guess is that if you can work out a deal with them, you would have to retrieve your desired bottle(s) prior to going to your dining venue.

Otherwise, the refrigerator in your cabin will be useful. Whites will, of course, come down to the desired temperature in a few hours. I would think that 40 minutes, or so, should do it for the reds. You may have try a few times to find the optimal time.