Touring and staying in Copenhagen

stevenr597

My family are scheduled to sail on the Regal Princess out of Copenhagen on July 26, 2018. We plan to arrive in the city several days earlier and would like to take a tour of the city and harbor. Does anybody have any recommendations in regards to tour groups. In addition, would anybody have any information in regards to hotels in the City. Thanks for the help and information.

We stayed 3 nights pre cruise & I would suggest staying at Hotel Bethel near the Nyhavn bridge overlooking the Nyhavn inlet.

This is the best positioned hotel in Copenhagen & within walking distance of most city sights.

A bit quirky this ex Seaman's Hostel is not for anyone needing a flashy hotel.

This hotel provides good largish rooms at a reasonable price for central Copenhagen, with free breakfast & wifi. http://www.hotel-bethel.dk to book direct.

My family are scheduled to sail on the Regal Princess out of Copenhagen on July 26, 2018. We plan to arrive in the city several days earlier and would like to take a tour of the city and harbor. Does anybody have any recommendations in regards to tour groups. In addition, would anybody have any information in regards to hotels in the City. Thanks for the help and information.

Copenhagen is an easy town to tour on your own. The main area is from Nyhaven to Tivoli. This area is connected by pedestrian walkways. The Royal Palace is adjacent to Nyhaven and at times there is a parade with changing of the guard. At Nyhaven you can take a canal tour. A canal tour is the best way to view The Little Mermaid as she faces the water. You can also walk there by walking through the Kastellet. From land you view her back. There is a HOHO bus that runs all over the city. We were there three days and one day we took the train from the main station over to Malmo, Sweden. There we also took a Malmo canal tour, walked around the town, and had a meal at a nice restaurant. Malmo is about 30 mins by train. If you join your roll call there may be some information there about private tour guides. We didn't take any tours. Interesting we had some extra Danish Krona. We tried to use it in Sweden, but it was not accepted. We used our credit card.

I stayed at the Radisson near Tivoli and the train station. I thought it was a great location. Around the corner and up the street a little was a small grocery store where we purchased yogurt, fruit. At the bakery across the train station we bought pastries. City was very walkable. We joined a free walking tour of the city and tip the guide if you think they were helpful and worthwhile. We actually left the group at the Nyhavn Harbor area. Check out the different prices for the harbor tours - there was a big difference and you all see the same things. As something different to do, take the train to Helsingor for Kronberg Castle - the inspiration for Hamlet. It's about an hour away. Also, visit Hillerod, another beautiful castle. A fun option is to take the train over the Oresund Bridge to Malmo, Sweden. I think it took less than 30 minutes to do it.

We did the NCL Baltic cruise out of Copenhagen this past July and stayed at both the Marriott Copenhagen and the Crowne Plaza Copenhagen Towers. Both were great. The Marriott is walkable to Tivoli Gardens (that was great too) and a mall and overlooks the canal area so nice views. The Crowne Plaza was closer to the airport but also walkable to a mall and had free breakfast. Would recommend either one.

We've been in Copenhagen 5x, either pre- or post-cruise. We have usually stayed in the Tivoli Gardens/RR Station area. Highly recommend the Hop-on/Hop-off buses, especially for first-time visitors. There are several different companies. Each does the same 3 routes; we've done 2, but not the 3rd which mainly visits Carlsberg Brewery. Since you're going to be there for a few days, you might start with one HOHO ride for a broad overview of the main sights and then decide which attractions you might want to spend more time at. If you're up to walking a lot, that's also easy to do in Copenhagen--last April I walked extensively from the Tivoli area up to Rosenborg Slot, one of the royal palaces, and rode the HOHO back (we'd bought a multi-day pass). If you enjoy shopping, there's the Stroeget, a pedestrian-only street lined with stores. Key sites IMHO: City Hall, Little Mermaid, Rosenborg Slot, Amalienborg (currently used by Queen of Denmark, but 1 of 4 bldgs is open to public) and nearby Frederik's Kirke (church).

I also second taking the train north to Helsignor, if you want to see some of the countryside and a historic castle.

So much to see, so little time . . . Enjoy!

Definitely look into the Copenhagen Card. Gives you transportation and museum entry all over the city including the canal boat tour and Tivoli entrance. You can get these online or at any of the Tourist Information booths in the city. We got ours at the TI just north of Tivoli. We also used the transportation on the last day to get from the hotel to the port, since the Princess transfers weren't running until 2 PM. Just left luggage with the transfer people and told them we wouldn't be taking the bus.