Have any of you sailed to the Caribbean since the Hurricanes, what was it like?

cimarrongirl

As has been discussed all over Cruise Critic, there are many ports in areas of the Caribbean that haven't been touched. Changing of routes is being discussed extensively here. Some affect ports are reopening. More will reopen before you sail. The ship will still sail, even if you don't get onboard.

It is up to you if you wish to cancel. Ships are just getting back into the Caribbean, so not a lot of reports from very recent cruisers.

Princess is just getting to the point where they are starting the winter season so no completed cruises yet. Other lines that sail the Caribbean all year have continued to do so. Most of the ports affected will be up and running before December. Princess has cancelled St Marten stops until the end of the year which is subject to be extened based on progress.

If doing tours I would expect to see a lot of damaged homes and other buildings and botanically gardens would need more time to recover but the beaches will be there and there will be lots of places to shop and drink.

The effected islands will have lost a good chunk of the years business and will really appreciate your business.

I booked a December cruise on the Royal yesterday. According to folks on our roll call, we may be the first Princess ship back in St. Thomas. Martinique and the Dominican Republic had some hurricane damage but not as devastating as other islands. Bonaire and Curacao are outside the hurricane zone.

Just last week I booked Regal, leaving Dec. 17, knowing what damage has been done to the eastern Caribbean. Our call on St. Maarten has been switched to St. Kitts, and reports are saying that San Juan and St Thomas will be open. The rest of the itinerary is unchanged. Personally, I'm not at ALL worried about cruising to the eastern Caribbean. If Princess feels the need to change any other ports, then so be it. If we end up with more sea days because there aren't replacement ports, then so be it. I think now, more than ever, it is important to cruise to these regions and support them - they rely so much on tourist dollars, and if they are able to welcome us, then I'll be there!

We sail Nov 5 on Royal 10 days. Our first 10 day cruise. The Royal is inbound from Europe. This will be the first Caribbean sailing this season from what I've read.

6 ports.....3 have been replaced for another port. Dominica replaced with Martinique, St Thomas replaced with St. Croix and Grand Turk replaced with Princess Cays.

My heart goes out to all those in dire straights in the Caribbean.

Suppose to sail on the Regal leaving FLL on Feb. 4th. Wondering if we should cancel?:confused:

We are not cancelling our January and February Caribbean cruises. Wherever the ship stops is fine with us. Plus at the damaged ports we will have the comfort of knowing the ship's visit will help in their recovery.

I will be there in January. I rather be in the Caribbean on a Cruise Ship then home in Boston shoveling snow.

Tony

Boston, you hit the nail on the head, in February here in Colorado we could have 3 ft. of snow. Better a cruise ship than a shovel or snowblower.

We are not cancelling our January and February Caribbean cruises. Wherever the ship stops is fine with us. Plus at the damaged ports we will have the comfort of knowing the ship's visit will help in their recovery.

I certainly agree with the above. Since we live in New Hampshire, I also agree with Lucky TGO about a cruise to the Caribbean being better than the snow. I look forward to being on the same cruise with him in January!

:confused:Hi we sail Caribbean prince December 20th we have had St Marten swapped but not because of hurricaine because the ship can’t sail at full speed!!

Does any one know anything about this?

There is tons of discussion about this on this thread:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2528693&highlight=Caribbean+Princess+mechanical

I certainly agree with the above. Since we live in New Hampshire, I also agree with Lucky TGO about a cruise to the Caribbean being better than the snow. I look forward to being on the same cruise with him in January!

Hi Cimarrongirl and Tip,

I have a great idea let’s take our snow shovels on the cruise with us. So we can make some great looking Sand Sculptures on the beach LOL...:D:D

P.S. Do you think I can take my Snowblower?? :)

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

I will be there in January. I rather be in the Caribbean on a Cruise Ship then home in Boston shoveling snow.

Tony

I just got off the phone with my brother in Lawrence. He said you (Boston/New England) are in for a VERY cold and wet winter. Maybe you can extend your cruise to all winter? :D

Hi Cimarrongirl and Tip,

I have a great idea let’s take our snow shovels on the cruise with us. So we can make some great looking Sand Sculptures on the beach LOL...:D:D

P.S. Do you think I can take my Snowblower?? :)

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

Tony that would be so much fun, but do you think TSA would let us take the shovel and snowblower?

Tony that would be so much fun, but do you think TSA would let us take the shovel and snowblower?

I think the shovels will be ok :).

But the snowblower as we say in Boston FUGHEDDABOUDIT :( :).

So look for me on the beach i’ll be the guy with his snow shovel making sand sculptures. :cool:

Tony

I booked a December cruise on the Royal yesterday. According to folks on our roll call, we may be the first Princess ship back in St. Thomas. Martinique and the Dominican Republic had some hurricane damage but not as devastating as other islands. Bonaire and Curacao are outside the hurricane zone.

I hadn't heard that DR and Martinique had any hurricane damage. Princess dropped Martinique as a port a long time ago, I believe. Don't know why--we enjoyed our 3 visits there (in the early 2000's). The DR is usually on a western itinerary so this is a bit unusual--wonder if it's instead of Princess Cays which may be getting more cruises than usual because of damage at St. Thomas, Grand Turk, etc. The usual DR port is Amber Cove, a Carnival Corp-built stop. They usually have tours out into the natural beauty of DR, from what I've heard (Jeff Corwin, a TV host, who sails on Carnival ships and has stopped there--went caving on DR).