Early car rental drop-off at FLL

luvabargain

I'll be cruising out of the Port of Miami, but will be flying in and out of FLL. After our cruise our flight doesn't leave until the next day so we'll have a day to play. I'm thinking of getting a car rental in Miami and dropping it off in FLL, but my question is if anyone has had experience with dropping off the rental in early morning either on-site or off-site/shuttle. Our flight leaves at 8am so we would have to drop off around 6am to give ourselves enough time.

I would look closely at the opening times for the off site offices. It is NOT normal for an off site location to open at 5am. 7 or 8am is much more normal.

Yes, airport operations are frequently 24/7.

You have to differentiate between off site offices of companies that also have desks in FLL versus those who don't. The two largest in the latter category are Fox Rent a Car and Sixt Rent a Car. Both open 24/7.

The off airport ones with "free" shuttles often have higher rates to cover costs for said "free" shuttle.

In May, it was cheaper to pick up at FLL and take a cab or uber than it was to rent from one of the "port" locations!! Shop around.

I picked up a car at MIA and dropped at the Harbor Beach Marriott ( Hertz, cheaper than dropping at the Crowne Plaza Hertz ) and Ubered to my hotel.