Touring in Copenhagen

We are scheduled to sail on Regal Princess out of Copenhagen on a Baltic Sea Tour. We are arriving in Copenhagen 3 days before we sail. We had initially booked a sightseeing tour of the city with an independent tour group. We have discovered that the tour was cancelled.

Does anybody have any recommendations in respect to reliable tour groups in Copenhagen. We would love to have at least one guided tour to see the city. We are staying at the Marriott in the city.

Thanks for any help and advice.

If you go to city hall just before 10 am they offer a free 3 hour walking tour which we loved. You pay the tour guide a tip at the end based on what you think it was worth.

The same company offers other tours which the guide will tell you about during his tour.

I stayed at the Hotel Bethel on Nyhavn. Great location. The HOHO bus stopped next to the hotel, the Canal tour left from in front of the hotel, Tivoli was within walking distance, and lots of restaurants, pubs and bars were literally two minutes away across the Canal. I took the HOHO and Canal tours. Very easy and got to see pretty much everything. Didn’t have to pay for any other transportation other than to the ship. Shared a taxi with some others also boarding.

You can do much of Copenhagen on your own. Take a canal boat cruise, visit some castles and the Royal Castle, Little Mermaid and harbor.

We had a great tour of sites outside of Copenhagen

Grand Day Trip around Copenhagen

So much to see in lovely Copenhagen, just do not waste time on the Little Mermaid, it's well out of the centre, and would challenge as the World's most over rated tourist site - only real challenge would be from Brussels Manikin Pis.

+1 on both counts.....among the world's biggest, oops, smallest disappointments.

The HO-HO (hop on, hop off) buses have recorded commentary and it's available in multiple languages, incl. English. We have used them every time we've been in Copenhagen and in many other ports. They're reliable and very reasonable ($20 usually for a one-day pass, although $30+ US in Copenhagen--everything's more expensive there and it's not a euro country). HOHO is a great way to get acquainted with a city and get around it. In Copenhagen, they have 3 different routes, but I think the Mermaid route gives a visitor the most comprehensive route of must-see attractions. One of the stops is across from Tivoli, so it's handy if you're staying in that area (which is also where the RR station is, if you want to venture out of town--we've done that twice). http://www.hop-on-hop-off-bus.com/copenhagen. Enjoy!

Edited by BarbinMich

Walk up to the top of The Church of Our Saviour for good views...if it isn't raining.

I love all the different styles of spires one can see in Cop. Thanks for identifying the Church of Our Savior's spire-it's my favorite, but I've never been in the vicinity of the church itself. Did go into one of the big churches right downtown and it's now an art gallery.

I love all the different styles of spires one can see in Cop. Thanks for identifying the Church of Our Savior's spire-it's my favorite, but I've never been in the vicinity of the church itself. Did go into one of the big churches right downtown and it's now an art gallery.

We walked up the tower to the very tip..as far as one can go...pity it was kinda foggy, but great regardless.

One of the best city tours that I have taken anywhere is the 3-hour Grand Walking Tour we did in Copenhagen with Free Walking Tours. As mentioned in Post #1, they meet on the steps of City Hall in the Radhuspladsen at several times during the day. You tip at the end and I’m sure you will want to be generous because the tour will be so good!

See: http://www.copenhagenfreewalkingtours.dk/index.html

I expect to be in Copenhagen pre-cruise in July 2019. Based on this year's dates, that should be during the Copenhagen Jazz Festival. Does anyone have any suggestions on what area of the city to stay in to be near the action, but not right in the thick of it?

Get the Rick Steves book on Northern European cruise ports. We followed his walking tours in many of the ports we visited. We did the canal tour first thing when we arrived, which gave us a good overview. If we'd had one more day there we might have done tbe free walking tour, as well. We only had two days.

We also stayed at Hotel Bethel. Would highly recommend it, but it can be noisy if your room faces the canal.

I stayed at the Hotel Bethel on Nyhavn. Great location. The HOHO bus stopped next to the hotel, the Canal tour left from in front of the hotel, Tivoli was within walking distance, and lots of restaurants, pubs and bars were literally two minutes away across the Canal. I took the HOHO and Canal tours. Very easy and got to see pretty much everything. Didn’t have to pay for any other transportation other than to the ship. Shared a taxi with some others also boarding.

Will be staying at The Bethel in August, what was the taxi cost from hotel to port? Also, did you taxi from airport to Hotel? If so, what was the cost?

Carla

Will be staying at The Bethel in August, what was the taxi cost from hotel to port? Also, did you taxi from airport to Hotel? If so, what was the cost?
Don’t remember the cost but it wasn’t awful. I want to say $45-50 but I really don’t remember. Shared a taxi with others to the port which was arranged for by the concierge. There were three of us and I think my share was $20-25.

Carla

The Bethel is in the Nyhavn area of Copenhagen and you can easily get there via public transportation from the airport and you can also use public transportation to get from there to Oceankaj. (We were staying at another hotel in Nyhavn and that's what we did.) This is feasible if you don't have more than a carryon bag and one other small bag. The fare from the airport to Kongens Nytorv Station in Nyhavn was 36 DKK ($5.50). The fare via bus from the Nyhavn area to Oceankaj was 24 DKK ($3.75). If you want details on how to use public transportation, you can ask Danish Viking in his thread "Wonderful Copenhagen 2018".

I too will be staying at the Bethel. It is 2 short blocks from Kongens Nytorv station which is on both M1 and M2 Metro lines (M2 from the airport). I don’t do just carryon, but I generally have a small purse, a knapsack, and a mid-sized suitcase. I have travelled all over the world that way, frequently by transit. I will take the Metro from the airport, and I expect to walk to my ship which will be docked near the Little Mermaid I am told.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums