Question about the Restaurants on Quantum of the Seas on a sailing from China

Stockjock

My girlfriend and I are doing an 8 night from Shanghai, China (Baoshan) to Japan and back to Shanghai. We will be staying in a Family Mini-Suite.

There are 18 restaurants on the ship, which sounds like a ton of variety, but I've heard that due to language and cultural differences, Americans like myself might be well-served to simply stick with Coastal Kitchen, which we can reserve each night because we have a Mini-Suite.

Do you agree with that philosophy or not, understanding of course the differences of doing a sailing out of China versus a domestic or European sailing? Would we get bored with CK every evening, or is that the best strategy?

Also, for those who have eaten in CK, they show reservations available for dinner at 6:30 pm and 9:15 pm only. Is there a "my time dining" available there, or is it pretty much one or the other?

Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thank you in advance!

The main restaurants will have both asian and western food choices so there shouldn't be a reason why you can't find anything to eat there. The menu will indicate both the english and chinese names and shows a picture of the food from what i recall.

Windjammer will have more asian offerings but the amount of options for western food should still be similar so there should be no concerns there too.

CK didn't have any specific dining time. It might be due to all the other slots being taken up but you can always try taking a slot and requesting to change it when you are onboard if there are vacancies.

My girlfriend and I are doing an 8 night from Shanghai, China (Baoshan) to Japan and back to Shanghai. We will be staying in a Family Mini-Suite.

There are 18 restaurants on the ship, which sounds like a ton of variety, but I've heard that due to language and cultural differences, Americans like myself might be well-served to simply stick with Coastal Kitchen, which we can reserve each night because we have a Mini-Suite.

Do you agree with that philosophy or not, understanding of course the differences of doing a sailing out of China versus a domestic or European sailing? Would we get bored with CK every evening, or is that the best strategy?

Also, for those who have eaten in CK, they show reservations available for dinner at 6:30 pm and 9:15 pm only. Is there a "my time dining" available there, or is it pretty much one or the other?

When they say "18 restaurants", they are counting every little place.

If I were you, I would go with your plan of sticking to Coastal Kitchen. I never get bored of it on the Anthem. :)

You can eat any time you want. Just talk to the host/hostess after you board.

• 2 months later...

Awesome

I did not need to reserve, I just showed up. It has only two menu's, so I would not eat there 8 nights. You might want to eat in some of the other specialty restaurants. They were all good. Also, the MDR has many of the same menu items in the fleet, so not major change. The Asian dishes were all good that I ate, so really nothing to be concerned with. This is still an English ship, so everything is in English and Chinese. All crew "must" speak English as an requirement of employment. Watching people eat "hot dogs" for the first time, is hysterical. Embrace the culture, and you will have fun.

See above

Beats me, I just showed up. I don't recall ever having a reservation.

Enjoy the food, know that it is a different culture, and accept it will be different at times. Enjoy the shows, know that you are on a ship in China, not the USA. Expect some things to be "different" and accept it. Overall, this was my favorite cruise, and going back next year (2019) once the cruises are released.