Best way to get to Pompeii from Sorrento?

cpl100

Hello all!

Will be staying in Sorrento pre-cruise in September. Trying to decide if spending part of a day in Pompeii is a major hassle or easy and worthwhile from there. We will not have a car. And there are only two of us, so we wouldn't be able to hire a private tour.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks for any help and ideas.

Have a great day!

Several times now I've gone from Sorrento to Pompeii on the local train. It's quite easy.

The train station is located not far fro the center of town in Sorrento. Since Sorrento is the end of the line, it's virtually impossible to get on a train going in the wrong direction, but do make sure you are on the line heading to Naples. You can buy a ticket in the train station either at the ticket window or in the shop. Just tell them your destination. I believe there are ticket machines too (can't remember as I haven't used them...)

You will get off the train in about 30 minutes; your stop is "Pompei Scavi". It is a short walk from the train station to the main entrance at Porta Marina where you can purchase tickets to the site, get a map, etc. (There are also restrooms.) Just follow the signs...or the crowds.

When you are done, be sure to exit out the same entrance (there are several entrances to the site because it is so large), and follow signs to the railroad (I believe they say Circumvesuviana, which is the name of the line). Repeat the process of purchasing your tickets in the station and head back to Sorrento.

Do be sure to validate your tickets in the yellow/green box in the station before boarding the train.

If you are traveling during rush hour, the train can be a bit of a scrum -- think packed subway cars. Seating is not assigned or guaranteed so you may have to stand all or part of the way when you return. Since you will be starting out in Sorrento, you should be able to get a seat there.

Easy.:)

The Circumvesuviana train, which runs from Sorrento rail station every half-hour. It's the train to Naples, & Pompeii (station name Pompeii Scavi) is about 45 to 60 minutes (?) two-thirds (?) of the way to Naples.

A very short walk (one block) from station to entrance.

Herculaneum (station name Ercolano Scavi) is a few stops after Pompeii.

JB :)

Easy.:)

The Circumvesuviana train, which runs from Sorrento rail station every half-hour. It's the train to Naples, & Pompeii (station name Pompeii Scavi) is about 45 to 60 minutes (?) two-thirds (?) of the way to Naples.

A very short walk (one block) from station to entrance.

Herculaneum (station name Ercolano Scavi) is a few stops after Pompeii.

As I mention above, the station for Pompeii is only about 30 minutes, give or take a couple of minutes, from Sorrento.

The current Circumvesuviana timetable is posted here: http://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/naples-to-sorrento-train-schedule?bus_route=sorrento_napoli

If you want a more comfortable and less crowded ride you could take the Campania Express train from Sorrento to Pompei and back.

There are only a few runs each day so you have to time it carefully but it is a more pleasant ride, for not a lot more money.

Schedule here: https://www.eavsrl.it/web/content/campania-express-2018-it

If you plan to use the public transport more often consider a day ticket. Unicocampania offers several possibilities. With a combined day ticket you can make unlimited use of the various bus, metro and train companies (including Circumvesuviana) in the region around Naples.

As I mention above, the station for Pompeii is only about 30 minutes, give or take a couple of minutes, from Sorrento.

The current Circumvesuviana timetable is posted here: http://www.sorrentoinsider.com/en/naples-to-sorrento-train-schedule?bus_route=sorrento_napoli

Thanks for the correction on travel time - wasn't disagreeing, I posted at exactly the same time as you & mine was an IIRC guess ;)

If you plan to use the public transport more often consider a day ticket. Unicocampania offers several possibilities. With a combined day ticket you can make unlimited use of the various bus, metro and train companies (including Circumvesuviana) in the region around Naples.
There are very few day tickets and they are limited to specific areas. There is no day ticket that would cover travel between Naples and Pompei, or between Sorrento and Pompei. These tickets were eliminated several years ago.

There is a new day ticket offered by Travelmar and SITA that allows one ferry trip on Travelmar plus a full day of SITA bus travel, but no other bus lines or trains are included.

Why do you think just because they are two of you, that you can't do a private tour? You absolutely can. We did.

Of course train is also a choice..a good one. But a private tour is not impossible.

It has been my experience that hiring a guide and driver was only cost effective (not price prohibitive) for more than four people.

Do you know something that makes the price more palatable? I would love to hear it! Thanks.

It has been my experience that hiring a guide and driver was only cost effective (not price prohibitive) for more than four people.

Do you know something that makes the price more palatable? I would love to hear it! Thanks.

What is palatable to you is a purely personal concept. We value the speed at which private tours get us around the big bus tours, and use our time far more efficiently. Plus the direct relationship with the driver gets you far more personalized and direct service. That is worth a lot to us.

What is palatable to you is a purely personal concept. We value the speed at which private tours get us around the big bus tours, and use our time far more efficiently. Plus the direct relationship with the driver gets you far more personalized and direct service. That is worth a lot to us.

Yes, of course, I understand everyone's budget is different as is how they prefer to spend it. I was merely addressing your question to me not questioning your values.

Have a great day.

• 2 weeks later...

We took the train from Sorrento to Pompeii and had arranged for a private tour for the four of us - cost effective and as we were met off the train by our tour guide, we were through the gates as soon as they opened. We chose to view a section of Pompeii For 2.5 hours which was great - as we were leaving, the larger tours were filling up the site. This tour was the highlight for us (also did Capri and Amalfi Coast as private tours). Unforgettable experience.

• 1 month later...
We took the train from Sorrento to Pompeii and had arranged for a private tour for the four of us - cost effective and as we were met off the train by our tour guide, we were through the gates as soon as they opened. We chose to view a section of Pompeii For 2.5 hours which was great - as we were leaving, the larger tours were filling up the site. This tour was the highlight for us (also did Capri and Amalfi Coast as private tours). Unforgettable experience.

Can you give us the name of your tour guide in Pompeii?

Would you mind giving the approximate cost of this half day? Thanks.

Would you mind giving the approximate cost of this half day? Thanks.

Our tour was in May 2016. Cost of 2hrs private guide was 130 euros for the 4 of us. 3 hrs was 180 euros for the 4 of us. Entrance fee to Pompeii not included (13 euros each). Cash to the guide on the day.

Our tour was in May 2016. Cost of 2hrs private guide was 130 euros for the 4 of us. 3 hrs was 180 euros for the 4 of us. Entrance fee to Pompeii not included (13 euros each). Cash to the guide on the day.

Thanks very much for sharing that information.

We stopped in Sorrento in June on Oceania.

We took a tour called "Pompeii Express" by Sorrento Select. It was around $37 Euro pp. I had found them online prior to our trip and had great communication with them.

You meet at the News stand at the Sorrento train station. (There are others selling tours there but they only supply the train ticket and guide)

You buy your tickets from the representative there outside the train station. (Look for someone wearing the shirt saying Sorrento Select)

They have departures from the Sorrento Train station around 9:20am and 10:20am, so if you miss the first one you can take the second departure. What we liked about it was that a representative or guide actually goes WITH you on the train to Naples station, and she did a very good job getting us on the train car so we were all together, and keeping others from jumping in ahead of us. (The trains get very crowded!)

It was a small group, maybe 15 people. Included a nice and short tour of Pompeii for 2 hours. I wouldn't want to try and do it on our own. Pompeii is HUGE and you would wonder forever.

This tour allowed you to stay in Pompeii at your own leisure after the tour or return on the train to Sorrento (which we did) and she showed us where to go for the return train platform back to Sorrento.

I would recommend this tour if you want to see Pompeii highlights without spending an entire day there. The trains are very crowded and have many stops. I liked not having to think about it, wondering if we were supposed to get off. She took great care of us.

We stopped in Sorrento in June on Oceania.

We took a tour called "Pompeii Express" by Sorrento Select. It was around $37 Euro pp. I had found them online prior to our trip and had great communication with them.

You meet at the News stand at the Sorrento train station. (There are others selling tours there but they only supply the train ticket and guide)

You buy your tickets from the representative there outside the train station. (Look for someone wearing the shirt saying Sorrento Select)

They have departures from the Sorrento Train station around 9:20am and 10:20am, so if you miss the first one you can take the second departure. What we liked about it was that a representative or guide actually goes WITH you on the train to Naples station, and she did a very good job getting us on the train car so we were all together, and keeping others from jumping in ahead of us. (The trains get very crowded!)

It was a small group, maybe 15 people. Included a nice and short tour of Pompeii for 2 hours. I wouldn't want to try and do it on our own. Pompeii is HUGE and you would wonder forever.

This tour allowed you to stay in Pompeii at your own leisure after the tour or return on the train to Sorrento (which we did) and she showed us where to go for the return train platform back to Sorrento.

I would recommend this tour if you want to see Pompeii highlights without spending an entire day there. The trains are very crowded and have many stops. I liked not having to think about it, wondering if we were supposed to get off. She took great care of us.

Thanks. I had not heard of this option.