Few Bliss and Alaska questions

amnorto87

Hello everyone!

I just have a few questions for those of you who have been on the Bliss. Also first time Alaska cruiser! We are traveling in Early September.

1. My sister is prone to motion sickness but has cruised before with little issue. Have been doing some research for this cruise and have read that traveling round trip from Seattle there can be a lot of motion. While she doesn’t mind taking medications, I am wondering how the movement is on the bliss?

2. Glacier Bay is on our itinerary. According to it we spend half a day there. (Morning) I have read a lot about people taking the Tracy Arm ShoreEx but that is not offered on my cruise or is sold out (as I can not see it). So on the Bliss, do we just cruise into the bay where the glacier is and cruise out? Obviously the Bliss is a large ship so I understand we won’t be able to get close but how is the view?

3. I have read some mixed reviews on if the pools and water slides are heated. I am not a fan of cold water but how could you not do the water slide where you go over the side of the ship? So will I need a wet suit so I don’t freeze or is the water slides and pools heated?

4. We don’t have an excursion planned for Ketchikan. Is this a port we can walk around and maybe sightsee off the port or should we book something? Any recommendations?

5. Of course we would love to see wildlife! However, we know that they appear when they want and there are no guarantees. Was wondering if the ship informs you when they see it ( like whales) or if you just get lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

6. Last question... promise hehe. My sister want binoculars for the trip but doesn’t want to buy. Has anyone ever rented any? If so where?

ThAnks everyone who responds :)

I can answer so of your questions as I have spent 27 days on the Bliss & have done an Alaskan cruise, but not Bliss in Alaska (yet)

1. Bliss is very stable side to side, but there is some front to back motion. If the water gets rough, go to the Waterfront mid - ship (avoid Observation Lounge, high deck, forward has the most movement)

2. Are you doing Glacier Bay in 2019 or Tracy Arm in 2018? Tracy Arm excursion isn't available after Sept 1 sailing in 2018 (not enough light, I asked before booking our sailing) 2019 excursion list might not be complete, call ShoreEx (number on MyNCL) and check.

3. Water slides are heated but the air on the deck is not! About 20% of people using the drop loop slide on our sailing were getting stuck (to light, bathing suit to baggy, scared and grabbed the sides) I would be interested if anyone has tried it with a wet suit?

4 & 5 no opinion as it's been 4 years since our Alaska cruise

6. Bring binoculars, unless you can find some to rent in Seattle, we ended up buying some on the Jewel (but photo gallery had less stock on the Bliss)

Hello everyone!

I just have a few questions for those of you who have been on the Bliss. Also first time Alaska cruiser! We are traveling in Early September.

1. My sister is prone to motion sickness but has cruised before with little issue. Have been doing some research for this cruise and have read that traveling round trip from Seattle there can be a lot of motion. While she doesn’t mind taking medications, I am wondering how the movement is on the bliss?

2. Glacier Bay is on our itinerary. According to it we spend half a day there. (Morning) I have read a lot about people taking the Tracy Arm ShoreEx but that is not offered on my cruise or is sold out (as I can not see it). So on the Bliss, do we just cruise into the bay where the glacier is and cruise out? Obviously the Bliss is a large ship so I understand we won’t be able to get close but how is the view? Yes, the ship goes in the bay and sails slow so you can take in the full beauty of the bay; it will turn around; normally you will spend the day there and then head somewhere else. We went into Tracy Arm first then we ended up in Juneau for the rest of day/night

3. I have read some mixed reviews on if the pools and water slides are heated. I am not a fan of cold water but how could you not do the water slide where you go over the side of the ship? So will I need a wet suit so I don’t freeze or is the water slides and pools heated? The hot tubs will be where you will want to hang out; if you do go on deck and want to get into the water.

4. We don’t have an excursion planned for Ketchikan. Is this a port we can walk around and maybe sightsee off the port or should we book something? Any recommendations? You can walk around town; or take a excursion around the area; Ketchikan is in the rainforest; so chances are very good it will be misting while you are there. We were there last July; it misted the entire day; not enough to mess up our port call.

5. Of course we would love to see wildlife! However, we know that they appear when they want and there are no guarantees. Was wondering if the ship informs you when they see it ( like whales) or if you just get lucky to be in the right place at the right time. They should have a Naturalist onboard for the entire cruise. That person will hang out in the bridge and will talk the entire week about Alaska and wildlife. If there are whales or Bald Eagles in the ship area; the naturalist will point it out over the loudspeakers. Have fun We saw whales, bald eagles, black bears, seals, and lots of ice and snow

6. Last question... promise hehe. My sister want binoculars for the trip but doesn’t want to buy. Has anyone ever rented any? If so where? Go on Amazon and buy a pair; most likely it will be cheaper than renting

Above answers to your questions are in pink; have a great cruise

Motion depends on the sea conditions. All cruises are in open ocean. If the seas are calm, there will be a little motion. If you are in a storm, there will be rocking and rolling. Won’t really know until you get there. There was a bit of weather on our 6/2 cruise.

2. Glacier Bay is on our itinerary. According to it we spend half a day there. (Morning) I have read a lot about people taking the Tracy Arm ShoreEx but that is not offered on my cruise or is sold out (as I can not see it). So on the Bliss, do we just cruise into the bay where the glacier is and cruise out? Obviously the Bliss is a large ship so I understand we won’t be able to get close but how is the view?

It is a long trip (full day) up glacier bay.

3. I have read some mixed reviews on if the pools and water slides are heated. I am not a fan of cold water but how could you not do the water slide where you go over the side of the ship? So will I need a wet suit so I don’t freeze or is the water slides and pools heated?

The Pools, water slides, and water

Feature in Spice H20 are heated. Ocean temperature was 50 degrees. The pool was “steamy” in the morning. No wet suit.

4. We don’t have an excursion planned for Ketchikan. Is this a port we can walk around and maybe sightsee off the port or should we book something? Any recommendations?

The port is a good port to walk around.

5. Of course we would love to see wildlife! However, we know that they appear when they want and there are no guarantees. Was wondering if the ship informs you when they see it ( like whales) or if you just get lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

The ship does not call wild life. We sit on our balcony for hours watching the sea. Whales and dolphin make appearances when they want. If you are in the observation loung, someone will point, and everyone pulls out their binoculars for a look.

Have a great cruise! Photos of the Bliss to Alaska on our live post https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2641186

Hello everyone!

Any ship is subject to movement especially outside Vancouver Island. The fact that Bliss is big has nothing to do with it, and if it is windy the size can make the motion worse.

Tracey Arm is not in Glacier Bay, two entirely different locations. In Glacier Bay you will see a number of different glaciers.

They likely will not let you wear a wet suit on the slides as the neoprene will stop your sliding. if the water is cold you either get cold or don't go.

Ketchikan is easy to walk around. Visit Creek Street, take the bus to see the totems, go to the Lumberjack show, visit Tongas Trading Company for great prices on outer wear, or do what we did and fish off the bridge in town.

Sometimes they announce them sometimes they don't. The best way to see wildlife is to take a whale watching excursion. Bald eagles are plentiful and you should see plenty.

6. Last question... promise hehe. My sister want binoculars for the trip but doesn’t want to buy. Has anyone ever rented any? If so where?

I would not waste my time renting, the savings can't be that great especially if you have to rent them on line so that you are paying shipping.

Some comments above.

We were on the Bliss last week. I am prone to motion sickness and always take Bonine the first day of a cruise. Because I heard the same about sailing in the Pacific I decided not to risk it and took it everyday. I felt movement but never felt ill from it. As stated, felt most in the a Observation lounge, and if sitting on high top chairs in the Garden Buffet.

We did Dawes Glacier due to ice conditions. Not sure how close we were but had a beautiful view and they were able to do a full 360 degree turn.

The water is heated, but not to bath water temps. It wasn’t cold, tepid. Air temps were mid 60s and bright sun and kids, and the occasional adult, were enjoying the pools.

Ketchikan is a good port to walk around and explore on your own. This is where we saw the most bald eagles.

Last week there were no announcements of wildlife. Sitting on our balcony or on the deck 8 water front couches gave us the best views. By time they made an announcement, the whale or seal would probably be gone. I learned the best way to spot a whale is to look for the water spouts. Then if you watch, they’ll usually surface. The seals were very curious of the ship and would be checking us out as much as we were checking them out.

I can answer so of your questions as I have spent 27 days on the Bliss & have done an Alaskan cruise, but not Bliss in Alaska (yet)

1. Bliss is very stable side to side, but there is some front to back motion. If the water gets rough, go to the Waterfront mid - ship (avoid Observation Lounge, high deck, forward has the most movement)

2. Are you doing Glacier Bay in 2019 or Tracy Arm in 2018? Tracy Arm excursion isn't available after Sept 1 sailing in 2018 (not enough light, I asked before booking our sailing) 2019 excursion list might not be complete, call ShoreEx (number on MyNCL) and check.

3. Water slides are heated but the air on the deck is not! About 20% of people using the drop loop slide on our sailing were getting stuck (to light, bathing suit to baggy, scared and grabbed the sides) I would be interested if anyone has tried it with a wet suit?

4 & 5 no opinion as it's been 4 years since our Alaska cruise

6. Bring binoculars, unless you can find some to rent in Seattle, we ended up buying some on the Jewel (but photo gallery had less stock on the Bliss)

I purchased a pair on VIPON a discount site for $15.00 great deal

• 2 weeks later...
hello everyone!

I just have a few questions for those of you who have been on the bliss. Also first time alaska cruiser! We are traveling in early september.

1. My sister is prone to motion sickness but has cruised before with little issue. Have been doing some research for this cruise and have read that traveling round trip from seattle there can be a lot of motion. While she doesn’t mind taking medications, i am wondering how the movement is on the bliss?

2. Glacier bay is on our itinerary. According to it we spend half a day there. (morning) i have read a lot about people taking the tracy arm shoreex but that is not offered on my cruise or is sold out (as i can not see it). So on the bliss, do we just cruise into the bay where the glacier is and cruise out? Obviously the bliss is a large ship so i understand we won’t be able to get close but how is the view?

3. I have read some mixed reviews on if the pools and water slides are heated. I am not a fan of cold water but how could you not do the water slide where you go over the side of the ship? So will i need a wet suit so i don’t freeze or is the water slides and pools heated?

4. We don’t have an excursion planned for ketchikan. Is this a port we can walk around and maybe sightsee off the port or should we book something? Any recommendations?

5. Of course we would love to

6. Last question... Promise hehe. My sister want binoculars for the trip but doesn’t want to buy. Has anyone ever rented any? If so where? i bought some binoculars at harbor freight for less than $20. They were 10 x 50 & work very well.

Thanks everyone who responds :)