Thank you gifts for tour guides

AutumnSky

Several years ago a friend of ours said he took USA tee shirts with him when he traveled abroad, and gave them to tour guides or anyone who was especially helpful or friendly. I thought that sounded like a nice idea, but never got around to doing it. For our next cruise I decided to try it. I thought that a little thank you gift, over and above a tip for tour guides, might be nice. I don't want to carry a bunch of tee shirts, as we're always trying to travel lighter than the last trip, but I found some pens with red, white, and blue stars and stripes, which I'd like to attach to a card that says something like "Thank you for helping to make our trip to Europe so enjoyable." Then I'd add our names. It sounded like a good idea, but then I began to think about it. Always my downfall. Would anyone would want a USA themed pen? This little thank you gift is not meant as USA propaganda, but would it be received well? Not sure how the USA is perceived in Europe at this point. Most of our ports are in Italy, with others in France, Monaco, Montenegro, and Croatia. Would a generic pen be better? Would a simple thank you card be even better? Am I overthinking this? Haha. :confused:

We've just returned from a trip to Lisbon, where we used the services of a guide we've used twice before, and are very fond of. We brought him over a Christmas ornament with our state bird. (in addition to a tip, of course). He seemed quite taken with it.

I don't mean to come across as a grinch, but these guides are professionals who do this job every day -- or nearly every day -- during the tourist season. While they might seem like your new best friend, they are giving the same smiles and spiels to their next set of customers the following day.

(If you have a personal relationship with a particular guide above and beyond a single days' touring, that's a different thing....)

I get the opinion based on my own interactions with guides, especially in Europe where the culture is not as "buddy-buddy/big smile/instant best-friend" oriented, that guides prefer to be treated as professionals doing a job. The best thing you can do is 1) be prompt, 2) be courteous and interested during your tour, 3) have your payment ready, and 4) if their services are excellent, then leave online reviews and recommendations.

Note that I don't mention tips either. It's a contentious issue, but at least in Italy the Italians I meet would not tip private guides above and beyond what is agreed for payment. There certainly is not a 15-20% tipping culture as in the US -- the rates you are given are fair wages and are not expected to be supplemented by tipping.

I really don't think the guides would appreciate it and anyway, you wouldn't know what size. I have worked as a guide and if anyone had given me something like that I would think it strange. It's certainly not a European thing. No need to leave a large monetary tip either. If you feel you want to tip, then 5% is enough plus an appreciative thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I’m in agreement with cruisemom and London Towner, as usual, on the topic.

It is the daily job of guides/hosts (for which they are paid a salary) and they do not live on tips alone. Moreover, the hospitality industry would not thrive were it not for folks providing good or great service as reputation is everything in this business.

I understand the inclination towards tipping due to the heavy practice of it in the USA but it simply is not done in so many countries around the world. In many ways, the USA is a leader of things but in many others, the USA is far behind.

I would recommend only rounding up on paying your bill, that is, if you have to pay for something that costs €6.70 and give €7 with no expectation of change, that’s quite normal. Anything more is just simply not done.

Once upon a time I recall seeing something on a travel message board or article in which the writer said that they’d sometimes bring post cards from their home town to hand out to people they met on their travels (not necessarily guides) to familiarize them with where they came from in an instant. Seemed to always go well, especially as post cards tended to look rather well in presenting a place in a positive light. They weigh nothing and take up no space in bags. I’ve never been a tour guide but in addition to my own travels and that of friends and family I’ve got an amazing collection of post cards that I love from all around the world. You can always write thank you on that! 😊

Really, I do not think that USA tshirts are that popular in Europe at the moment.

Why bother taking a gift that someone may or may not want, like, or need.

Cash is king. Why not give a gift of cash. Cash travels well and can be turned into anything that the recipient so desires.

These people are not doing this to get tshirts, hats, candy, whatever. They are doing it to make money, to feed their families or perhaps put themselves through school.

As am OP stated. tipping is not the custom in many countries. Rounding up the bill is or perhaps a small gratuity.

I get the opinion based on my own interactions with guides, especially in Europe where the culture is not as "buddy-buddy/big smile/instant best-friend" oriented, that guides prefer to be treated as professionals doing a job. The best thing you can do is 1) be prompt, 2) be courteous and interested during your tour, 3) have your payment ready, and 4) if their services are excellent, then leave online reviews and recommendations.

My sentiments exactly.

As cruisemom said, guides in Italy are professionals with at least a master's degree and often a PhD. You wouldn't tip your college professor if they were giving you a lecture/tour and you don't tip your dentist, doctor, etc. because they are professionals. Even in the States where the tipping culture is nearly out of control people understand that it would be insulting in certain situations.

Maybe the hard thing to accept is that guides are really professionals in Europe, vs. a low level, poorly paid job in the States? Italians are serious about their history, they don't accept the idea of someone memorizing a ten page script and sending them out.

Drivers are something completely different, while they are professionals they are not guides and in most cases won't have nearly the education and certainly not the certifications of a guide.

The very best thank you is, again as cruisemom said, an honest review in a public forum that will help them gain new customers.

A further thought/suggestion on the above. If you want the guide to know how much you enjoyed their services and you want to help them with a lasting and relevant gift, ask him/her for their business card and tell them that you want to write a review and be able to put the right contact information in the review.

Also ask them if they have a particular web site they'd like you to post on (or a couple of them). There are so many sites out there that it would be helpful to know where they are already getting clients from.

It's a little more work on your part than simply handing them money but the review and its (hopefully) positive impacts on the guide will last longer.

CA$H is always the most appreciated! ;)

Only in your mind and your culture. Read the above posts and think again. Flashing cash tips in Europe doesn't make you look magnanimous, it makes you look ... out of touch.

Thank you, everyone! You've given me a good perspective, and I do need to look at things from a cultural standpoint. I did know that Italian tour guides were licensed, as are the ones in Greece and Turkey. Probably more countries, but those are the ones I am familiar with. I suppose I didn't consider the stature that they have. So, no gifts from me. Just a hearty thank you! Thank you all again for taking the time to share your thoughts. It's just the kind of information I was seeking.

CA$H is always the most appreciated! ;)

So do you tip the pilot of the plane that takes you to the cruise? Or when you see the captain of the ship on his daily rounds do you tip him? No becasue they are professionals who are paid to do a great job and preform the best they can to provide service. The guides in most of Europe are the same type of professional workers.

This American way of thinking that we know what everyone in the World wants and needs is wrong. Tipping is insulting in many parts of the World. I was in Singapore over last weekend, every single taxi driver handed me back the charge, no interest in tips. They all have pride in doing the job, they are paid by the fare.

Expat Cruise

Yes, in many European countries guides have studied very hard to get their qualifications to be able to do their job. They get rewarded for their hard work by getting paid very well for it. A couple of official Blue Badge guides I know in London, normally only worked 3 or 4 days a week as they didn't need to o more to have a comfortable lifestyle.

This American obsession with tipping irritates me. Maybe employment laws in the US needs to be changed to enhance salaries, but in Europe everybody has to earn at least the minimum wage of the country.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Only in your mind and your culture. Read the above posts and think again. Flashing cash tips in Europe doesn't make you look magnanimous, it makes you look ... out of touch.

.....and arrogant and patronising :rolleyes:

WOW...……...

I travel on my own and the last time I was in Rome (which was quite a few years ago) I was on a 1 2 t private tour for the day......yes, just me and the owner of the company. She was outstanding and at the end of the tour when I paid her, I added some extra euros and if my memory serves, I don't believe she was the least bit insulted. We had a wonderful day and talked about many things besides the history of what she was showing me.

Who knew so many people could be so judgmental of what others do?:eek:

When tips are generously showered on all service providers in Europe, it sets a precedent for all tourists to follow.

In the Blue Grotto in Capri, the boatman actually DEMANDED a 5 euro tip from each person (including children), even BEFORE we got onto the small boat. This is in addition to the 4 euro Blue Grotto entry fee (for the Government) and 10 euro boat fee we paid while on the boat. A total of 19 euro per person for 3 minutes inside the Blue Grotto (after waiting for 90 minutes).

He told us that he ferries around 100 people daily inside the Blue Grotto. (There is a huge crowd & everyone gets only 3 minutes inside the Blue Grotto).

So, obviously he earns upto 500 euros daily on tips alone. Possibly well over 10,000 euros every month on unofficial, untaxed, undisclosed tips. This is in addition to the taxable boat fee he earns officially. (10 euro per person)

Edited by drsel

I was on a 1 2 t private tour for the day......yes, just me and the owner of the company. She was outstanding and at the end of the tour when I paid her, I added some extra euros and if my memory serves, I don't believe she was the least bit insulted.

You have no idea how she felt about it but regardless, if your intention was to demonstrate to her how much you appreciated her service as the owner of the company a positive review (or several) posted on the web site (or sites) from which she gets most of her business would be a far more lasting gift.

All the tour sites I have looked at mention tips as a not included extra.

And on my tour voucher:

Entrance fee (where applicable) and Tips are not included in service cost shown above.

Payment is on the day to the driver in cash, only Euro, unless other arrangements have been previously authorized.

If you are pleased with the service you received from your driver, a minimum of 10% gratuity is customary in Italy.

You have no idea how she felt about it but regardless, if your intention was to demonstrate to her how much you appreciated her service as the owner of the company a positive review (or several) posted on the web site (or sites) from which she gets most of her business would be a far more lasting gift.

I get it, you don't like that I tipped...…..you have no idea how she felt either. .…..regardless,

You have made it clear what I did was not to your liking.

And oh by the way I have given positive reviews on them. Check Trip Advisor and I wrote about them when I got back from my trip.

All the tour sites I have looked at mention tips as a not included extra.

And on my tour voucher:

Entrance fee (where applicable) and Tips are not included in service cost shown above.

Payment is on the day to the driver in cash, only Euro, unless other arrangements have been previously authorized.

If you are pleased with the service you received from your driver, a minimum of 10% gratuity is customary in Italy.

First, this is written in English on a web site targeting Americans, perhaps the most susceptible to this kind of message because Americans already expect to tip.

Second, it's not uncommon for group tours to do this, the tour operator negotiates a better deal with the supplier by promising to do everything they can to promote tipping. They would never do this with an Italian audience.

Third, as a sentient adult I know that you don't believe everything you read on the internet. That nonsense about a customary minimum tip in Italy is laughable.