Renewing our annual travel insurance....

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:08 AM.
1,119 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
I am glad your mother is now home and hope she progresses well.

From experience, I know that insurances companies may try to wriggle out of paying out if possible. It is difficult to understand how they can say your mother did not become ill abroad when she was mid Atlantic. If you have the energy and time pursue All Clear and even involve the ombudsman if they do not cough up. I appreciate your energy and time may be taken up with other things and it takes both of these to follow through. Insurance companies know that and they often put people off. All the best to you after a worrying and trying time.
CUMBRIA ENGLAND
597 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Originally posted by 2irisheyes
I am glad your mother is now home and hope she progresses well.

From experience, I know that insurances companies may try to wriggle out of paying out if possible. It is difficult to understand how they can say your mother did not become ill abroad when she was mid Atlantic. If you have the energy and time pursue All Clear and even involve the ombudsman if they do not cough up. I appreciate your energy and time may be taken up with other things and it takes both of these to follow through. Insurance companies know that and they often put people off. All the best to you after a worrying and trying time.
Many thanks for your good wishes. I have today sent off all the required forms and documents they have asked for. What angers me is that she took ill in the middle of the Atlantic and had no possibility of being repatriated to a hospital. Therefore by landing in the UK by ship, albeit still very ill so had to be admitted immediately into Southampton hospital, the insurers stated 'we only repatriate from Abroad, now she is in an NHS hosptial in the UK it is their responsibility to get her to her home address'. I think that this attitude by multi millon pound insurance companies is one of the reasons the NHS is suffering financial hardship; as you state, these companies take your money quickly enough but then try their utmost to wriggle out of their responsibilities.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature