Coffee snob question

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:31 PM.
WNY
749 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
As a fellow coffee "addict" I hope this helps! I say addict 'cause I'll drink just about any coffee if I need the caffeine, but I can tell the difference between beans, some bean origins, and brew styles. My normal AM coffee is Cafe Bustelo espresso-grind through a pour over cone with water about 205-200 degF - I use a little lower temp because the finer grind can get a little over-extracted if I use hotter water.

If I remember correctly, Celebrity was using lavazza or ily coffee in the percolators (a european/italian dark roast) for drip coffee. Espresso beans were a similar dark roast style. (Eq, July '16, Silhouette, Feb '17). I like that style coffee (and don't really Starbucks beans other than their blonde roast).

Coral and most of the Princess ships use coffee concentrate in the MDR and buffets, quality is variable but it's weaker and lighter roast style coffee (I haven't sailed Regal/Royal, but word is that's fresh brewed there).

Brewed coffee at the IC was fine, again weaker side and lighter roast, not my style but fine (think freshly opened folgers/maxwell style coffee). Same lighter roast beans were being ground for their espresso drinks (Note: I got a scoop of beans and was huffing them for an hour during the wine tasting... so I paid a lot of attention to those beans ). Using that lighter style roast will give a little less depth than a traditional dark roast espresso bean, but beans were ground right at time of tamping for shot to be pulled. Milk was steamed in front of you and then latte/cap was poured there. I don't remember them using a thermometer on Coral, but temps were definitely hot but milk was never scalded (assuming no thermometer though it'll depend on who steams your milk as to whether they overshoot).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity (x4): Silhouette (2/2017, W. Carib.), Equinox (7/2016, Med.), Summit (12/2014 & 1/2016, S. Carib.)
Princess (x4): Coral (5/2017, Alaska), Ruby (12/2012, Carib.), Crown (4/2008, S. Carib.), Star (4/2007, W. Carib.)
Royal Caribbean (x3): Jewel of the Seas (12/2013, S. Carib.), Monarch of the Seas (12/2008, Bahamas & 2/2001, S. Carib.)
Pacific Northwest
85 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
No expert on coffee; but I do fresh grind my beans for making French press every morning. I also am fortunate enough to live in a city where coffee brewing is taken seriously and I happily explore the options.

Our first Princess cruise was last month on the Coral. We had as a free perk the AIBP. We frequented the IC each day and found the quality of the coffee or coffee drinks to vary quite a bit. It was decently good but not great. I am hoping the Regal will be even better next February.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

San Francisco Bay Area
6,818 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Originally posted by Montana
Ok I have to admit that a good capuchino or a good latte are important to my day. I love the Celebrity line and their coffee shop. Can I expect the same quality on Princess since I have already booked my first cruise and purchased 2 coffee packages. Looking forward to a new experience.

I thought I might have a different perspective since we sail on both lines quite a bit and I absolutely love the Celebrity specialty coffees at Cafe Al Bacio. In my opinion, the specialty coffees on Princess at the International Cafe are inferior to those you can get on Celebrity. I mostly like Espresso, Cappuccino and Cafe Americano and have been disappointed with the ones on Princess. I am not a huge fan of lattes so cannot speak to those but my twin nephews, both of which worked as baristas up in Washington, cruised with us on Princess and said that their baristas didn't know how to make a decent cup of coffee. They reverted to drinking tea ... they thought the coffee was just that bad. I don't think it was undrinkable .. it's just a matter of taste, though. I am sure it was based more on the coffee used than the baristas abilities. But, since you mention that you love the specialty coffee on Celebrity, you and I might have similar preferences and you may not care so much for the specialty coffee on Princess.

Of note, Starbucks or Peets?? ... for me, Starbucks wins by a mile! Others prefer Peets ... just a difference in preference is all ... so no flaming from others!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise Raider
Pacific Northwest
85 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
No expert on coffee; but I do fresh grind my beans for making French press every morning. I also am fortunate enough to live in a city where coffee brewing is taken seriously and I happily explore the options.

Our first Princess cruise was last month on the Coral. We had as a free perk the AIBP. We frequented the IC each day and found the quality of the coffee or coffee drinks to vary quite a bit. It was decently good but not great. I am hoping the Regal will be even better next February.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

1,977 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
They have done away with the large coffee cups on some ships!! Boo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gwen from Lake Texoma- Princess Elite
Golden Princess - 4/8/2019 - Hawaii, Tahiti & S. Pacific Crpssing
Sea Princess - 3/10/19 - Australia 28 days
Emerald Princess - 2/28/18 - 30 days- South American Grand Adventure
Regal Princess - 1/28/18 - 14 days Caribbean Explorer
Crown Princess - 1/20/18 - 8 days Oldies Cruise

Norwegian Escape - 12/9/17 - 7 day Caribbean
Celebrity Equinox - 10/16/17 - 11 Day Deep Southern Caribbean
Pacific Princess - 6/9/17 - 36 days Fire & Ice Explorer
Royal Princess - 4/19/17 - Western Mediterranean Adventure - 28 days
Island Princess - 2/3/17 - 15 day Full Transit Panama Canal
Ruby Princess 12/10/2016 - 7 day Mexican Riviera
Caribbean Princes - 11/5/16 - 14 Day ABC & Western Caribbean
Quasar M/V Evolution 5/28/16 - 7 days Galapagos Islands
Carnival Freedom - 1/14/16 - 12 day Journeys Cruise - Exotic Southern Caribbean
Crown Princess 7/4/2015 - 7 day Alaska
Carnival Freedom 2/2/2015 - 12 day Southern Caribbean
Royal Princess 5-12/2014 - 21 day TA & Baltic Cruise
Royal Princess 4/27/2014 - 15 day Northern Europe Transatlantic
Caribbean Princess 9/21/2013 - 7 day New England Leaf Peeper
Golden Princess 4/24/2013 - 14 day Hawaii
Crown Princess 2/2013 - 7 day Western Caribbean
Crown Princess 12/2012 - 21 Day Transatlantic
Coral Princess 8/2011 - Alaska - 14 days
Sun Princess 4/2001 Panama Canal - 15 days
Carnival 1993 Caribbean
Carnival 1991 Caribbean
Carnival 1980 Caribbean
Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,727 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by GweninTX
They have done away with the large coffee cups on some ships!! Boo!!
Boo!!!

Hopefully it's just another inventory shortage issue (once they were out of lids) but will bring my large insulated Princess coffee mug from home...thanks for the warning.
WNY
749 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Starbucks reusable cups (thin walled and not insulated, so usu need a paper sleeve with them) are super cheap if still offered, and are less of a loss if you opt to leave it/apt to forget it. Also holds something like 16 or 20 oz.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity (x4): Silhouette (2/2017, W. Carib.), Equinox (7/2016, Med.), Summit (12/2014 & 1/2016, S. Carib.)
Princess (x4): Coral (5/2017, Alaska), Ruby (12/2012, Carib.), Crown (4/2008, S. Carib.), Star (4/2007, W. Carib.)
Royal Caribbean (x3): Jewel of the Seas (12/2013, S. Carib.), Monarch of the Seas (12/2008, Bahamas & 2/2001, S. Carib.)
Miami, FL
2,042 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by OzKiwiJJ
Not in Australia. Lattes are an art form here.
From what I enjoyed in Sydney and Brisbane a couple of years ago, ALL coffee is an art form there. Hail to the flat white! Even the coffee on the quickie Sun Princess cruise between them seemed better than what you get on other Princess ships.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Les
New Mexico
1,016 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Hi......I have a few questions

1. Can I get a large drink with one punch or is it two punches?

2. Can I get iced Coffee?

3. Are the coffee fusion and Barista Specialty mixes blended ice drinks (i.e. frapps)?

Thank you

Coffee Fusion and Barista Specialty mixes
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oasis of the Seas...Eastern Caribbean... November2016
Liberty of the Seas....Western Caribbean 2016
HAL Oosterdam.....Alaska 2013

Liberty of the Seas...Western Caribbean December 2012

Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas...Bahamas October 2012
Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas...Eastern Caribbean March 2012
HAL Westerdam...Southern Caribbean December 2011
HAL Nieuw Amsterdam....Western Caribbean December 2010
HAL Eurodam....Eastern Caribbean December 20029
Star Princess.....Alaska August 2009
HAL Oosterdam.....Mexican Riviera December 2008
HAL Oosterdam.....Mexican Riviera October 2007
Star Princess.....Western Caribbean 2006
Coral Princess ....Panama Canal 2005
Coral Princess ....Alaska 2005
SS Oceanbreeze....Panama Canal 1998
SS Seabreeze...Eastern Caribbean 1996
SS Dolphin...Western Caribbean 1994
Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,727 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by Gator83
Hi......I have a few questions

1. Can I get a large drink with one punch or is it two punches? One

2. Can I get iced Coffee? Yes

3. Are the coffee fusion and Barista Specialty mixes blended ice drinks (i.e. frapps)? Fusion-No; Specialty Mixes-Yes

Thank you

Coffee Fusion and Barista Specialty mixes
I based my Fusion & Specialty Mixes replies on the coffee menu photo in post #10. That shows only Specialty Mixes are available either hot or ice blended & I've had several of the Specialty Mixes as frappacinos. I've never had a Fusion drink so have no personal experiences about whether they can be ice blended but the photo of the menu doesn't show that as an option.

I've always been able to get large coffee drinks for a single punch & they fill up my wife's venti size insulated Starbucks tumbler.