Princess-at-sea internet

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:29 PM.
League City, TX
40,029 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by Liz Masterson
How do you initiate contact with a fellow passenger? We are traveling with another couple and their room is on a different level.

I am not sure of the exact way of doing this, but probably someone will post exactly how to do it.

Basically they must give you permission to contact them this way and you enter a special passcode which will allow you to do so. It does not matter where their cabin is.

I am sure the on-board Internet manager can help you set this up if nobody posts the actual procedure here.
WNY
749 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by caribill
I am not sure of the exact way of doing this, but probably someone will post exactly how to do it.

Basically they must give you permission to contact them this way and you enter a special passcode which will allow you to do so. It does not matter where their cabin is.

I am sure the on-board Internet manager can help you set this up if nobody posts the actual procedure here.
If you doing it from a web browser when using the ship wi-fi navigate to http://coral.princess.com and it may auto launch depending on browser settings. The easiest thing to do is then to save the link as a favorite to your phone's home page, it would then have it's own "button" that on the iphone will launch safari and open that page all from the single tap.

When you open the message portion of the "app" you'll see a user id #. You swap user ID's and that's how you address the message, same idea as having a unique email address. I don't know if you need to register for the free login first (I assume so though), we already had the login setup for internet since we pre-purchased the internet package before I poked around the message feature.

Originally posted by Colo Cruiser
There is no app.

If you let the internet cafe set it up for you on your phone, they may save a link to the intranet home page on your device - on my iPhone it has a unique [email protected] icon and looks identical to the proper apps on my phone. Yes, technically not an app in the sense that I didn't get it from the app store, but sure looks like one on casual inspection. Nifty work on the part of the IT/software dept, and nice tie in with marketing & branding.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity (x4): Silhouette (2/2017, W. Carib.), Equinox (7/2016, Med.), Summit (12/2014 & 1/2016, S. Carib.)
Princess (x4): Coral (5/2017, Alaska), Ruby (12/2012, Carib.), Crown (4/2008, S. Carib.), Star (4/2007, W. Carib.)
Royal Caribbean (x3): Jewel of the Seas (12/2013, S. Carib.), Monarch of the Seas (12/2008, Bahamas & 2/2001, S. Carib.)
NY
296 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by jb008

If you let the internet cafe set it up for you on your phone, they may save a link to the intranet home page on your device - on my iPhone it has a unique [email protected] icon and looks identical to the proper apps on my phone. Yes, technically not an app in the sense that I didn't get it from the app store, but sure looks like one on casual inspection. Nifty work on the part of the IT/software dept, and nice tie in with marketing & branding.
It's just a shortcut to a website on your launcher. Every website can get a shortcut. However, since it's not an app, you don't get notifications, or persistence.
COLORADO
59,527 Posts
Joined Jan 2004

Cool!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Keith
Princess Elite Member
57 Princess Cruises

USNS HARKNESS T-AGS 32
WNY
749 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by Meanee
It's just a shortcut to a website on your launcher. Every website can get a shortcut. However, since it's not an app, you don't get notifications, or persistence.
True. The question then is whether they'll ever add a true app, similar to how Delta runs their app on the free
Gogo wifi using their specific server ip ranges to service their app in-air. Hard part is probably figuring a way to let people download the app on ship without needing a paid internet access. I don't remember if Delta/Gogo had figured out that hurdle for their service.
NY
296 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
True. The question then is whether they'll ever add a true app, similar to how Delta runs their app on the free
Gogo wifi using their specific server ip ranges to service their app in-air. Hard part is probably figuring a way to let people download the app on ship without needing a paid internet access. I don't remember if Delta/Gogo had figured out that hurdle for their service.
That is not possible, at least not for Apple devices. Android allows "side-loading" apps from non-store sources. Apple's method is "App Store or nothing."

I remember at one point, GoGo allowed few minutes of internet access to download the app, and it kept track of MAC addresses, to make sure you are not requesting those 5 minutes all the time. Also, it was possible to fool Gogo with a proxy setup, since they seem to be filtering only specific ports. So a proxy running over non-standard ports will give you unlimited internet all flight long. Not sure if it holds true. Now, Gogo/Delta request that you download the app prior to boarding.
Los Angeles, California
764 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Plus you must be careful to actually Log Out or the clock keeps going until it runs out. You cannot buy internet access for the entirety of the cruise. (On Carnival you can buy limitless internet for about $60. I mention Carnival because it owns Princess). So because I was distracted while using my internet service, I forgot the clock was running. It ran out. I refused to buy more time. So just be aware, it is easy to run to dinner or a show and completely forget the internet clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
5,538 Posts
Joined Dec 2005
Originally posted by Liz Masterson
How do you initiate contact with a fellow passenger? We are traveling with another couple and their room is on a different level.
The other passenger has to open messenger and tell you their 'messenger id'. You enter the number, and you can connect.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App
Los Angeles, California
764 Posts
Joined Aug 2007
Originally posted by tailspintom
I think most of us figured out what you meant.
For me, I have mixed emotions on this aspect of onboard communications. I think of that annoying ring when you are standing over a putt, the person answering the call and yelling that they are on the golf course and should not be bothered... times 400. In the middle of dinner or a show, phones are ringing people are speaking loudly, argh.
The "vibrate" function on the phone works well in those cases.
EASTERN PA
1,658 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Never been on Princess before, doing 10 days out of Singapore in February, know nothing about the wifi available as far as cost, availability and reliability. On NCL it was very slow on ship Internet cafe computers, a little faster on my tablet. Just looking to post pictures online, use my email service. Any information would be appreciated.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Remember you can adjust the DSC up as high as you like simply by visiting the Customer Service Desk. You do not have to provide a reason, you do not have to love your butler.
Southern Cal/Maui No Ka Oi
18,727 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by mugtech
Never been on Princess before, doing 10 days out of Singapore in February, know nothing about the wifi available as far as cost, availability and reliability. On NCL it was very slow on ship Internet cafe computers, a little faster on my tablet. Just looking to post pictures online, use my email service. Any information would be appreciated.
You can view the internet packages on the Princess website in two places: the Cruise Personalizer for your cruise; the Gifts section of the website. I cannot compare the speed to other cruise lines but Princess says they're improving their system.

Here are the prices to purchase in advance & during the first 2 days of our Princess cruises there was a similar offer.

Internet Access

Perfect for those who like to stay in touch or need to manage their affairs on a daily basis in order to put their minds at ease. Help a passenger relax and fully enjoy their Princess vacation by giving them Internet access for news, information and web-based email.

120 minutes
Item #6038 – $69.00

(This package includes 100 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 20 bonus minutes)

240 minutes
Item #6039 – $99.00
(This package includes 200 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 40 bonus minutes)

460 minutes
Item #6302 – $159.00

(This package includes 400 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 60 bonus minutes)

680 minutes
Item #6301 – $199.00

(This package includes 600 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 80 bonus minutes)
EASTERN PA
1,658 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by Astro Flyer
You can view the internet packages on the Princess website in two places: the Cruise Personalizer for your cruise; the Gifts section of the website. I cannot compare the speed to other cruise lines but Princess says they're improving their system.

Here are the prices to purchase in advance & during the first 2 days of our Princess cruises there was a similar offer.

Internet Access

Perfect for those who like to stay in touch or need to manage their affairs on a daily basis in order to put their minds at ease. Help a passenger relax and fully enjoy their Princess vacation by giving them Internet access for news, information and web-based email.

120 minutes
Item #6038 – $69.00

(This package includes 100 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 20 bonus minutes)

240 minutes
Item #6039 – $99.00
(This package includes 200 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 40 bonus minutes)

460 minutes
Item #6302 – $159.00

(This package includes 400 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 60 bonus minutes)

680 minutes
Item #6301 – $199.00

(This package includes 600 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 80 bonus minutes)
Thank you for your help, very similar in minutes and prices to NCL, hope the service is faster.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Remember you can adjust the DSC up as high as you like simply by visiting the Customer Service Desk. You do not have to provide a reason, you do not have to love your butler.
League City, TX
40,029 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Originally posted by mugtech
Speed during the day is usually slow due to the number of users at one time. How slow? Think how dial up speeds used to be. Usually get significantly faster access after mid-night when most people and many of the crew are sleeping.

Uploading photos will be slow unless you can reduce the picture size before uploading. You will not be able to upload photos using the ship's computers as there is no way to plug a camera card into the computers.
EASTERN PA
1,658 Posts
Joined Nov 2013
Originally posted by caribill
Speed during the day is usually slow due to the number of users at one time. How slow? Think how dial up speeds used to be. Usually get significantly faster access after mid-night when most people and many of the crew are sleeping.

Uploading photos will be slow unless you can reduce the picture size before uploading. You will not be able to upload photos using the ship's computers as there is no way to plug a camera card into the computers.
Thank you for the information. I take pictures with my tablet and then post them to emails or social media, so I am anticipating being able to do it on Princess as I did on NCL.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
WNY
749 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
I was able to do FaceTime from Glacier Bay on Coral in early June. Off-peak was faster, I didn't get any exact download/upload speeds though. One perk of them not offering unlimited internet is that I think it kept loads a little lower on the network - and 640/680 minutes (600 plus 40 for buying 1st day, 80 for buying pre-cruise) was plenty for a couple to share and DW had to do something like 3 hours of work internet over the course of the cruise.

If you're working on a complex site with cookies and IP tracking you may get some "blips" periodically. One of the days DW couldn't get one of her sites to load, was getting a cookie error, that I think was due to the signal being bounced around. It worked for us once we routed through a VPN, so either IP restriction or some weird cookie - IP mismatch are my two top guesses (cookie permissions are my 3rd guess, but the site worked before and after for her so something more transient than permissions).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Celebrity (x4): Silhouette (2/2017, W. Carib.), Equinox (7/2016, Med.), Summit (12/2014 & 1/2016, S. Carib.)
Princess (x4): Coral (5/2017, Alaska), Ruby (12/2012, Carib.), Crown (4/2008, S. Carib.), Star (4/2007, W. Carib.)
Royal Caribbean (x3): Jewel of the Seas (12/2013, S. Carib.), Monarch of the Seas (12/2008, Bahamas & 2/2001, S. Carib.)